Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Peschke Packaging Co

I was wondering if anyone would know anything about this company and where they would have been located in the 40's/50's.
    My grandmother worked there.
    Thanks for any help.

The Grand Blvd. between Russell and poletown plant

Per the 1928 Detroit City Directory, their address was 2600 E. Grand Blvd. [map]

Nice. Thanks to the both of you.

In case anyone is wondering about the newer location, Peschke Packing Company was later located at 18615 Sherwood Ave., Detroit, 48234.

Peschke's was home to "The Great American Hotdog". Unfortunately, their union got overly greedy and went on strike for higher wages / better benefits / more paid vacation or whatever was fashionable at the time - and ended up sucking the blood out of the very company that employed them. Peshke's couldn't afford it and ended up going bankrupt in the early 80's. Damn shame.

In 1944, when I was in kindergarten at Anthony Wayne Elementary School, my best friend and girl friend [[she knew how to tie my shoes which I didn't) was the Peschke heiress, Patricia. Unfortunately, her family moved on up to Grosse Pointe after the first semester leaving my love life blighted forever and giving me a lifelong preference for brown-eyed brunettes as opposed to blue-eyed blondes.

IIRC, Peschke was the brand of hot dog sold at the Olympia.

and Duly's

Quote Originally Posted by ladyvanessa14 View Post
    IIRC, Peschke was the brand of hot dog sold at the Olympia.
    There is a Peschke commercial at 1:18:55 of this 1978 Red Wings telecast: NHL Stanley Cup Quarter-Final 1978 - Game 4 - Montreal Canadiens @ Detroit Red Wings - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    There is a Peschke commercial at 1:18:55 of this 1978 Red Wings telecast: NHL Stanley Cup Quarter-Final 1978 - Game 4 - Montreal Canadiens @ Detroit Red Wings - YouTube
    Sure but it took you 10 years to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simspop View Post
    Unfortunately, their union got overly greedy...
    Just guessing. At one time Peschke workers were represented by Teamsters Local #332. Before RICO laws busted the IBT and IBT was placed in receivership, it made a common practice of shaking down troubled businesses in exchange for labor peace. For union officials, such extortion was especially lucrative when a competitor business wished to put a weaker rival out of business. In other words, Peschke strikers may have been screwed by their own union whose officials had been "retained" to put Peschke out of business. This was common in the early 1980s. Prolly someone was rewarded handsomely for sinking Peschke, and prolly a rival company's business grew -- it was all meant to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by henry whalley View Post
    just guessing. At one time peschke workers were represented by teamsters local #332. Before rico laws busted the ibt and ibt was placed in receivership, it made a common practice of shaking down troubled businesses in exchange for labor peace. For union officials, such extortion was especially lucrative when a competitor business wished to put a weaker rival out of business. In other words, peschke strikers may have been screwed by their own union whose officials had been "retained" to put peschke out of business. This was common in the early 1980s. Prolly someone was rewarded handsomely for sinking peschke, and prolly a rival company's business grew -- it was all meant to happen.
    tdlr -iagaf, just guessing.

are you sure? I thought they used Peter's Sausage that was located in the building on Junction directly behind them??