Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Albertus Summer Clean Up June 23

Saturday is the Summer Clean Up day at St. Albertus if anyone is interested in helping out the volunteers. If you don't know about St. Albertus, it is Detroit's oldest Polish Catholic church. It is not an active parish but is operated by PAHSA as a historic site and shrine. http://stalbertusdetroit.org/mass_and_event_schedule

Volunteers will be working inside and outside. Cleaning, landscaping, mechanical work, whatever might interest any potential volunteers.

St. Albertus is at the corner of St. Aubin and Canfield, east of Sweetest Heart of Mary and very close to Eastern Market.

If you make it by, I will be working on cleaning the parking lot on the north side of Canfield. There will probably be a small crew of us on that project.

I went to the St Albertus Festival about two years ago, not knowing anything about the church. When the wife and I steped in the side door, we were so blown away by what we saw that I think we started talking in tongues. I can't imagine what it would cost to duplicate the church today. If you can't make the summer clean-up, you owe it to yourself to go to the Festival. I wish I would have taken a good camera with me. If you go, light a candle for Detroit!

If you go, light a candle for Detroit

Nice!

As for me, I sometimes stop in to the the Chapel at the Capuchin Monastery on Mt. Elliott and kneel at Fr. Solanus' tomb. That's a good place to pray for Detroit. Nearly a saint - he loved this City and its people.

Another little shrine to say a prayer for Detroit: the tomb of Fr. Gabriel Richard in Ste. Anne Church. Can Fr. Richard forget his City? I hope not. I remind him how much we need his prayers.

Personally I am neither Polish or Catholic. But I have enjoyed my volunteer work there over the past several years. The permanent repairs to the church and rectory house have made a noticeable difference. And it was nice that the abandoned housing across the street was renovated and reopened. The entire St. Aubin/Canfield corner looks much better than it did seven or eight years ago when I started yardwork at St. Albertus.

I admire the core volunteers at St. Albertus a great deal. They accomplish much with a small budget and creative approaches.

Tomorrow [[Saturday) 10:00 volunteers doing yard work and other cleanup/fix up chores at St. Albertus. It's a fun time and a beautiful old church. Stop by to help out or take a look inside.

" And it was nice that the abandoned housing across the street was renovated and reopened. The entire St. Aubin/Canfield corner looks much better than it did seven or eight years ago when I started yardwork at St. Albertus."

If anyone goes and could post a pic of the renovated housing across the street that would be great. I seem to recall some pics of when it was first starting to be cleaned up but not the finished project. Seeing anything that is rehabbed in Detroit always lifts my spirits!

DetroiterontheWestCoast. I have five pictures from Saturday, but I tried to upload and I am not sure this will work.

Two show St. Albertus, three show the reopened housing on the east side of St. Aubin.

[ATTACH]14210
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]14211
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]14212
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]14213
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH]14214
    [/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks for the pics! Looks like they did a nice job on the renovated housing. Nice to see it looking good and occupied instead of blighted and empty.

Went to Midnight Mass there about 10 years ago and was blown away as well:
    Name:  StAlbertus_Forum.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  42.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Thanks for the pics! Looks like they did a nice job on the renovated housing. Nice to see it looking good and occupied instead of blighted and empty.
    The reopening of the apartments was a boost for St. Albertus' restoration project. The complex is quiet and well-maintained. Unfortunately St. Albertus lost a good deal of parking which the abandoned apartments had plenty of. But overall it has been good for St. Albertus no longer having a dark boarded-up complex across the street.