Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another positive article in the Chicago Sun-Times about Detroit

I know it's cruel but I laughed when he said he blew off Slows BBQ. It goes to show you that a person from another "real" urban city knows NOT to waste time in the tourist traps.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/1...g-detroit.html

I find it kind of interesting that because of Slow's popularity exploding over the past 4 or 5 years, plus the pub it gets from out of towners, it has become a "tourist trap" in the eyes of some people. I understand it gets a disproportionate amount of notoriety compared to other restaurants in the area with equal or superior food, but I'm not gonna discord an establishment because it's popular or avoid it.

Ummmmm.... Is that all you got out of this lengthy article about a historic district redefining Detroit.... is one sentence regarding food??

I'll have to check this place out next time I'm visiting .

I know the wait is long, but if I were to visit Detroit, I would put it on my list of places to go. I also like that Cooley does all the right things to do right by Detroit;

1-He picked properties that had character and fixed em up right.

2-Got an interesting trendsetting menu with the help of experienced talented chefs.

3-Got the ball rolling supporting other small ventures on that block.

4-Started other ventures after the first one.

5-Does a pile of volunteer work.

6-Creates a buzz around the region and beyond for Detroit's inner city and its potential.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I know the wait is long, but if I were to visit Detroit, I would put it on my list of places to go. I also like that Cooley does all the right things to do right by Detroit;

1-He picked properties that had character and fixed em up right.

2-Got an interesting trendsetting menu with the help of experienced talented chefs.

3-Got the ball rolling supporting other small ventures on that block.

4-Started other ventures after the first one.

5-Does a pile of volunteer work.

6-Creates a buzz around the region and beyond for Detroit's inner city and its potential.
    I'd only recommend it for the visuals of the neighborhood surrounding the restaurant. The food is okay, but not worth the 2 hour wait... and for that reason alone, it's definitely the textbook definition of a tourist trap. There is far better food being served at restaurants in Detroit where you can be served with a more reasonable wait.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'd only recommend it for the visuals of the neighborhood surrounding the restaurant. The food is okay, but not worth the 2 hour wait... and for that reason alone, it's definitely the textbook definition of a tourist trap. There is far better food being served at restaurants in Detroit where you can be served with a more reasonable wait.
    When do you guys go when it's been a 2 hour wait? The longest I've ever waited is about 45 minutes, and I've been there at all times of the day.

I went to Slows, and the wait wasn't bad, however I was expecting more from the food. I've heard people gushing over it and had to see for myself. The food was ok, nothing earth shattering.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    When do you guys go when it's been a 2 hour wait? The longest I've ever waited is about 45 minutes, and I've been there at all times of the day.
    The last time I tried to go there the wait was definitely projected to be more than an hour. We ended up just going somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The last time I tried to go there the wait was definitely projected to be more than an hour. We ended up just going somewhere else.
    Oh no doubt. I've walked in and was told an hour and a half. 35 minutes later I'm eating food. Guess I've just had good luck.

I'm not sure what everyone is expecting of the food to be honest. For the price, it's pretty good bbq, and the mac & cheese is really good. I think the sauces are well above average and I like the atmosphere as well. For $20, there's a LOT worse you could do with less of a portion.

$20?? thats not for just one person is it?
    [[never been there)