Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No Thanksgiving day parade?

Hmm.. maybe a Kid Rock-spearheaded fundraiser? How did the DSO effort turn out?

Occurrence Guest

Accordingto some here, downtown is booming and the city is "coming back". This can't be possible is a growing progressive city.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Accordingto some here, downtown is booming and the city is "coming back". This can't be possible is a growing progressive city.
    Yeah, but first Detroit mut go through A LOT of pain, even if it kills it, before most people benefit from the growth taking place.

How can the City afford to fund the fireworks? Overtime pay for police, EMS on stand by....seems to me this is where they should start if they are going to eliminate traditions in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    How can the City afford to fund the fireworks? Overtime pay for police, EMS on stand by....seems to me this is where they should start if they are going to eliminate traditions in Detroit.
    If you read the article you would know the Fireworks are next to get cut. They're on for this year, next years may be cut.

Can this region and state be marketed successfully if it cannot even put on a parade and fireworks in its largest city anymore? Will they televise the Thanksgiving Day Parade from Ferndale, where some commenter on the News suggested it be moved?

I'd be willing to donate to keep both events.

What did people think would happen? And the city hasn't even officially gone into receivership or bankruptcy either. He's just getting you all ready for the reality of what a bankrupt city truly looks like.

Where's Dan-Dan, the Quicken Man?

This is altogether strange.

I'm usually one of the first ones to stomp around and yell about the suburbs, I admit. However, if I go to an event in the suburbs, I am protected by their civic departments. Detroit Police don't follow me there. In fact, they don't even show up when we call here, generally.

Bing's rationale is that a ton of people from the region go to these events [[true, which is great) therefore other counties should chip in. So is Detroit throwing cops over there for Arts, Beats, and Eats? This also isn't really charity. I'm sure businesses reap rewards from the fireworks and parade; he should be getting on their asses to chip in.

Once again, when Bing emerges from his convalescent home, he is way, way off target.

This is his problem. Cities have things like parades and fireworks in which they have to ensure the safety of those in the city. He has openly admitted he is not capable of doing those things. Again, this is his problem, not mine or Brooks Patterson's.

No matter where the money comes from, if Detroit funds [[with borrowed or donated money) such unnecessary events as The Fireworks, The Thanksgiving Day Parade and similar they are demonstrating they do not accept they are broke and bankruptcy is in their future. These events should be postponed until Detroit and can afford them - if that ever happens.

I am reminded of a school superintendant out here who said a number of years ago "If the school millage fails, I will be forced to cut all sports programs in order to finance educating our students." The millage failed.

A group of parents started raising funds to retain those programs. The super said "No, these are programs that should be supported by the school. I told you if the vote failed, I would cancel them. It failed. I did. End of subject."

I know the parade and fireworks are not sports programs, but if the city can't afford to help fund them, or could fund them at the expense of other more worthwile services, the city should stop funding them. Maybe private donations or sponsorship could be found to cover all the costs, and maybe at a later date the city can renew it's support, but there reaches a time when one must say "We just can't afford it." That time was probably 10 years ago, but at least someone in city hall is coming to a hard realization.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I am reminded of a school superintendant out here who said a number of years ago "If the school millage fails, I will be forced to cut all sports programs in order to finance educating our students." The millage failed.

A group of parents started raising funds to retain those programs. The super said "No, these are programs that should be supported by the school. I told you if the vote failed, I would cancel them. It failed. I did. End of subject."

I know the parade and fireworks are not sports programs, but if the city can't afford to help fund them, or could fund them at the expense of other more worthwile services, the city should stop funding them. Maybe private donations or sponsorship could be found to cover all the costs, and maybe at a later date the city can renew it's support, but there reaches a time when one must say "We just can't afford it." That time was probably 10 years ago, but at least someone in city hall is coming to a hard realization.

I find it interesting how diverse reactions are. My initial thought was, "Good. Maybe this is the first step toward a more regional policing unit."

Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Downtown Fireworks in Detroit is not like any other parade in the area. It would not be an exaggeration to say that hundreds of thousands of people from all around the area attend each one. Those are regional events, and they should be regional events. Hell, the Thanksgiving Day Parade is televised on a regional [[and I think might still be national) level.

My thoughts?

[[1) Like the Cobo and the Zoo, these events will all be saved.
    [[2) A combination or regional participation and private sponsorship will save it.
    [[3) If the suburban neighbors offer police protection, that money will likely show up in the form of Michigan State Patrollers rather than go through the city coffers, which is fine.

And yes, as 313WX says [[not sure if it as serious or tongue-in-cheek), things may need to get worse in order for them to get better. Remember, we're talking about re-inventing everything about how we operate.

But this wasn't the first time it's been done, and we will emerge from it better off.

The loss of both will be a huge economic loss to Detroit.Most if not all the hotel and motels in Detroit are booked for both events. Can any of these places afford to loose the revenue that is generated? How many of these places rely on full bookings during these events to keep going for the year? This is also not to mention all the restaurants and lounges that rely on these events. If we must do away with these events due to budget problems then i also suppose the International Auto Show should be cancelled? What a tragedy if all three events are doomed.

financial stability of the city + city services > 2012 parade.. but maybe someday it can come back, with proper funding..

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    The loss of both will be a huge economic loss to Detroit.Most if not all the hotel and motels in Detroit are booked for both events. Can any of these places afford to loose the revenue that is generated? How many of these places rely on full bookings during these events to keep going for the year? This is also not to mention all the restaurants and lounges that rely on these events. If we must do away with these events due to budget problems then i also suppose the International Auto Show should be cancelled? What a tragedy if all three events are doomed.
    I understand your sentiment...I think you're looking at these from a bottom-up standpoint instead of a top-down. The fireworks and the Thanksgiving Parade cost more money to the city than it brings in. Yes, there is an indirect benefit to the city via goodwill and hotel/restaurant use. But it's generally a money loser.

Auto Show, on the other hand, is a MAJOR source of revenue for Cobo Hall. All those manufacturers pay to rent space, plus 2 weeks of traveling media, engineers, reps, etc. renting hotel space. The Auto Show is not going anywhere.

And, for that matter, neither are the Fireworks or Parade. They just need to figure out how to pay for security. They'll have to raise funds by either selling more grandstand tickets to pay for security. Or they'll ask other parts of the region to donate coverage. Or they'll ask sponsors to chip more in. Or all of these combined.

They'll figure it out.

No Thanksgiving Parade in Downtown Detroit. FINE! We will have it in Downtown Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No Thanksgiving Parade in Downtown Detroit. FINE! We will have it in Downtown Royal Oak.
    I can't imagine they would do that, but I do believe some Oakland County residents would approve of that idea. Wonder how that would play out via national television. Wouldn't a national television audience look at the small town and wonder why they were watching such a podunk parade?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    This is altogether strange.

I'm usually one of the first ones to stomp around and yell about the suburbs, I admit. However, if I go to an event in the suburbs, I am protected by their civic departments. Detroit Police don't follow me there. In fact, they don't even show up when we call here, generally.
    I really can't think of a single event hosted in any suburb that draws crowd numbers in the high six-figures/low seven figures. I also do not think any suburb is really even capable of hosting an event that large alone. So I agree with Bing for at least opening up the conversation about how the services get funded for these large events that severely strain Detroit's resources.

That said, I don't think suburban communities chipping in to fund Detroit based events is the right idea. I think this is a great time to open up the conversation about letting Detroit levy its own special sales tax. Let the city tax restaurant meals and bar tabs to pay for these special events.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I really can't think of a single event hosted in any suburb that draws crowd numbers in the high six-figures/low seven figures. I also do not think any suburb is really even capable of hosting an event that large alone. So I agree with Bing for at least opening up the conversation about how the services get funded for these large events that severely strain Detroit's resources.

That said, I don't think suburban communities chipping in to fund Detroit based events is the right idea. I think this is a great time to open up the conversation about letting Detroit levy its own special sales tax. Let the city tax restaurant meals and bar tabs to pay for these special events.

Ever hear of the Woodward Cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Ever hear of the Woodward Cruise?
    Yes, I have heard of it. No, it's not held in a single suburban community.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post

Agreed. If the suburban communities do not want to pony up, then cancel these activities. Better yet, I propose Troy should host the fireworks and Birmingham the parade. Let them shoulder all of the costs for once. I'll drive up from Detroit next year with my lawn chair ready for the big show.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Agreed. If the suburban communities do not want to pony up, then cancel these activities. Better yet, I propose Troy should host the fireworks and Birmingham the parade. Let them shoulder all of the costs for once. I'll drive up from Detroit next year with my lawn chair ready for the big show.
    Ummm... FOR ONCE??..... you don't get out of the city much, do you....

http://www.oaklandcountymoms.com/eve...ireworks-shows

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummm... FOR ONCE??..... you don't get out of the city much, do you....

http://www.oaklandcountymoms.com/eve...ireworks-shows

RE: Detroit Freedom Festival

"It is one of the largest and most spectacular fire work displays in North America, lighting up the sky over Windsor and Detroit. This annual spectacle draws more than 1,000,000 to the Windsor and Detroit river fronts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor...eedom_Festival

Please let me know when OC puts on an event of that magnitude. Until then, I can buy snakes and sparklers at my local pharmacy...

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    RE: Detroit Freedom Festival

"It is one of the largest and most spectacular fire work displays in North America, lighting up the sky over Windsor and Detroit. This annual spectacle draws more than 1,000,000 to the Windsor and Detroit river fronts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor...eedom_Festival

Please let me know when OC puts on an event of that magnitude. Until then, I can buy snakes and sparklers at my local pharmacy...
    See you don't get out much... they do have the huge firewords in the suburban displays... many of the same ones that are seen in Detroit... just not in the quantity and multi-barge simultaneous shootoffs that Detroit has. There's no doubt that Detroit's blows every other one out of the water. But for a lot of folks... it's enough to see their own town fireworks shooting hundreds of feed into the air... and not deal with the traffic issues of the riverfront ones...

Maybe Detroit should start collecting a fee [[although the logistics of that are difficult).... but no suburbs are going to be sending their own policemen downtown... that's not gonna happen.

And if Detroit does cancel its' fireworks... the suburban ones will still likely be happening...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast