Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Baseball questions

Hello all ! two quick questions about the Detroit Tigers.
    I'm not sure if anyone has ask this question before on this site , but I recently went to a Tigers game last week , with family and we noticed that I've never heard any Motown music being played at the games ? or any songs mentioning Detroit, besides, Journey's, don't stop believing .[[born and raised in south Detroit)
    I know the players pick the songs they come onto the field too, and they use current songs also , but in a city RICH in music ,I rarely remember hearing Detroit artist ? .
    Also watching the news today I saw that the tigers beat the Cubs in Chicago and when the tigers got a hit, and also when they won , half the stadium was standing and cheering for the Tigers ?
    Is this because SO many Detroiters live in Chicago, are there really that many people from Detroit that we've lost to the windy city?
    Last edited by Detroitdave; June-14-12 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Edit

I know someone up in that press area. A few years ago, Tigers brass decided to scrap all of the Motown-era music in favor of contemportary songs, which [[they believe) caters to a younger fan base.

Personally, I would like a lot less of any music they play and those obnoxious scoreboard games too.

I cringe when people cheer for biggie bagel.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Personally, I would like a lot less of any music they play and those obnoxious scoreboard games too.

I cringe when people cheer for biggie bagel.
    I cringe when they give away lottery scratch tickets [[the cheap ones) and people go nuts for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Is this because SO many Detroiters live in Chicago, are there really that many people from Detroit that we've lost to the windy city?
    I would guess that over 50% of the young people currently in Chicago are from here. And that's just the young set. It's crazy how many people [[young people in particular) moved there in the last 10 years. Huge outward migration from Michigan. That should tell you how bad the economy really is here.

I've always thought the Tigers played lots of local music. Motown Mondays was a promotion 2 yrs. ago. Eminem is played just prior to the team taking the field. I was in Cincinnati for the weekend series and they just blasted dance beats constantly, even between pitches when their team was rallying. It was worse than an NBA game.
    By the way I cringe when Raburn comes to the plate - and he's back!

Shollin Guest

Boesch his rookie year used to walk up to Eminem. During the playoffs I know they played some Alice Cooper and Eminem.

The Tigers usually have a Motown theme night every season. A couple of years ago I was at that game and won a bunch of free Motown CDs. Pretty cool.

I totally agree that I would be happier with a little less constant noise from the PA system. But they do that pretty much everywhere now.

Don't get me going about today's "music". Some yahoo learns to play three chords on a guitar and he calls himself a musician. Nuts.

Where's Cole Porter when you really need him?

The Tigers, play a lot of the same "stadium experience" music as pretty much every other sports team. This stuff comes "tested" for purported broad fan appeal and sold in "packages," much like the pre-digested and heavily formatted generic radio programming that has taken over so much of our airwaves.

As for Motown, does anyone know how the Tigers pay for the music they play? Do they just pay the regular standard royalty rates, or do they have to pay rights fees? That may be one reason for the lack of Motown music. As anyone who has ever tried to source Motown music for a film or TV can tell you, Motown zealously guards and enforces its rights fees, and charges a very pretty penny for them.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Tom T View Post
    I would guess that over 50% of the young people currently in Chicago are from here. And that's just the young set. It's crazy how many people [[young people in particular) moved there in the last 10 years. Huge outward migration from Michigan. That should tell you how bad the economy really is here.
    A relative's two kids live in Chicago. Early 20's One has been there a few years now, the other just moved earlier this year. They both love it and have decent jobs. Not sure if they'd ever move back here, but I don't think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I've been to see Detroit teams play in NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore, DC, North Carolina, Florida, Denver, SF Bay area, and Seattle, and everywhere I've been in the last 20 years has had large numbers of Detroit fans attending. The population outflow from this city and state over the years, particularly by young college graduates, has been tremendous, and has accelerated greatly in just the last few years.

But the interesting thing about Detroiters in exile is that they 1) are generally big sports fans, 2) remain loyal to Detroit teams even long after they've left here [[and sometimes into the next generation - I have cousins who grew up and live in New Jersey who are huge Detroit fans), and 3) buy tickets, show up for games, and cheer loudly for their teams.

In NYC, where I lived for years, there are even bars that are known for attracting lots of Detroit fans, and where Detroit teams' [[and UM and MSU) games are always shown on TV.

Sports venues pay a blanket fee each year for the right to play BMI and ASCAP-listed music. My quasi-educated guess is that it comes out to several hundred dollars a month. The fee is based on potential audience and is scaled--JLA pays more than your kid's ice rink. Some sounds and music are royalty-free--some DJ's even make their own effects.

The money is just divvied up among all the artists, although an ASCAP or BMI rep could knock on the door demanding a playlist if they think their artists are being ripped off. That's when you ask the rep for a list of songs they're trying to collect on, just to tick 'em off.

Anything with more than 3 speakers commands royalties--that probably includes the music played at your child's sports game.

Music isn't tested like cereal or TV shows. DJs hear a good song and try it out--and they work together on forums, sharing ideas. That's why much of what you hear is similar.

Many Motown artists were short-changed on royalties after their heydays--that's why many have sued in recent years. Kinda like the early TV stars who didn't get paid when they kept showing up on the tube in reruns and syndication.

They should bring back the organ players!

DJ Tom T-

I have to agree with you on this one. At least 50% of thosefans are Michigander's, living in Chicago. Imagine the amount of Detroiters whodidn't attend the game but packed the bars in Wrigleyville. In my opinion,Chicago has basically become the other half of Detroit/Michigan. As I mentionedbefore, it's not only young white kids moving there but it's young and olderblacks from inner-city Detroit and from around Michigan who have relocatedthere as well. And almost everyone I talk to says they love living there andthey're never coming back to Michigan. I think Chicago's affordability has alot to do with it.

Also, the number of small business owners and entrepreneursfrom Michigan that have fled to Chicago is mind blowing. Michigander's areopening some amazing stores, restaurants and businesses in that city and youknow how creative Michigander's are... A group of young guys from here justmoved to Chicago to open and introduce 4 Jet Pizza franchises. Plum market isopening there, with a Zingermans section and of course the countless number ofUniversity of Michigan/Michigan State bars that flood the Northside. Therethousands of creative types such as chefs, designers and woodworks making namesfor themselves in Chicago. I think people from Michigan have a much moreintense work ethic than people from other states and it's easy for us to breakinto the Chicago market and still be close to home. People from Michigan canmake it anywhere.

It's ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    . People from Michigan can make it anywhere.

It's ridiculous...
    Except in Detroit/Michigan it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Except in Detroit/Michigan it seems?
    LOL you beat me to it ! LOL

Can't stand going to the Joe and getting blasted by the noise. Why do they think folks need constant stimulation?
    Maybe it's just the MTV crowd they want to please. They can't stand quiet.

I like the new music. In many ways, it's much more catchy than Motown. Thank you, technology!

grew up block away from stdium, kind of remember old school, take transitor radio, folks listen to the game. tryed a few years ago , not possible, hate music, donut races, most of all singing hot dog guy.

While I do believe a lot of former Michiganders were in attendance at Wrigley, a lot of people such as myself also made the short five hour trip over. I have been to several games at Wrigley, but this was the first seeing the Tigers, which made me genuinely interested, unlike other games I've seen there. A lot of others like myself likely wanted to take the rare opportunity to see their beloved Tigers play in a nostalgic park like Wrigley. You will never see this same type of representation at U.S. Cellular Field vs. the White Sox.

I'm sure Tigers fans will represent very well this weekend in Pittsburgh too, as they have in summers past. Just a few weekends ago a lot of people made the trek down to Cincinnati as well. I'm quite sure not as many people have moved to these aforementioned cities, but when rare inter-league matchups present themselves with a chance to see their team in cities that common opponents aren't established, most will jump at the opportunity. A group of friends that get together can make it a very economical weekend trip, as well as an opportunity to see another Midwestern city that they may have not been to before.
    Last edited by Knocturnal; June-19-12 at 11:27 PM.