Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default East Palmer Neighborhood

I am considering a move to the East Palmer area known as the "Art Center". I am looking at a place at the corner of Palmer and John R. My wife is a bit concerned about crime and I'm a little worried about being isolated in the wintertime; except for all the CCS students I suppose.

Anyhow its got a dishwasher! and a washing machine! so we'd really like to move, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the area.

I can't speak to crime, although that area shouldn't be bad, but where would you go in Detroit that you would be less isolated--you are a block off Woodward in Midtown?

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I can't speak to crime, although that area shouldn't be bad, but where would you go in Detroit that you would be less isolated--you are a block off Woodward in Midtown?
    It's a safe and quiet neighborhood, lots of CCS students, older artists/professors, and long time residents.

Very nice area and it's practically downtown.

Nice area - Inn on Ferry is right there with lots of security on hand, as is the very well maintained Freer and Hecker Houses. Lots of students and business types around with some good services within walking distance. Probably as safe a neighbourhood as you're going to get in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Nice area - Inn on Ferry is right there with lots of security on hand, as is the very well maintained Freer and Hecker Houses. Lots of students and business types around with some good services within walking distance. Probably as safe a neighbourhood as you're going to get in Detroit.
    All true. I know many people who lived either on Ferry or one street over that way. All loved it. Zero complaints. One is a family of professionals raising two children. People say raising kids in Detroit is a bad idea...when your backyard is literally the DIA, that couldn't be further from the truth.