Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Woodward Gardens Update Rendering

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...rd-gardens.php

I really like the rendering, particularly the apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...rd-gardens.php

I really like the rendering, particularly the apartments.
    Well would you look at that, a streetwall!

Streetwalls are sexy :-)

If Concert of Colors ever wants to expand again they'll have another venue a block away.

Great to see 61 additional units of housing!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Great to see 61 additional units of housing!
    Yes! Midtown can use a few more of these mid-size multi use building infills in/around Cass, Second, Third Av also. Create more streetwall...

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    What??? Don't they know that Detroit isn't New York or Chicago?

Now we just have to get Wayne to buy into the idea of streetwalls, especially along Woodward.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Now we just have to get Wayne to buy into the idea of streetwalls, especially along Woodward.

Woodward doesn't go through Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Woodward doesn't go through Wayne
    It confused me as well, but I think he's referring to Wayne State.

Yes! Midtown can use a few more of these mid-size multi use building infills in/around Cass, Second, Third Av also. Create more streetwall...

A few more? A hundred could fit inside the freeway loop easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post

A few more? A hundred could fit inside the freeway loop easily.
    Lol, I couldn't agree more! Isn't there plans for another Studio One building on Canfield? I think a trend of Auburn, Studio One, The Ellingtons apartments with ground-floor retail can do very well throughout Midtown and could create some pretty dense areas throughout, retail/restaurant alike.

I remember hearing there was a phase two to Studio One, but cannot find any info on it. There's no mention of it or any renderings on Studio One's website. Anyone have any info?

Default How much

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    I remember hearing there was a phase two to Studio One, but cannot find any info on it. There's no mention of it or any renderings on Studio One's website. Anyone have any info?
    Would anyone know the price? and where is it located in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    I was shocked by that as well. I was expecting a big mammoth sized parking structure to be visible somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I was shocked by that as well. I was expecting a big mammoth sized parking structure to be visible somewhere...
    This project has been a long time in the making and includes four phases. Phase I was a single parking structure to service the entire block. It's tucked behind the Woodward frontage off of Alexandrine. The structure also offers shuttle service to the DMC.

The coffee shop in the recently completed Blue Moon on the North end of the block is set to open on the 18th. It's a wonderful project.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    It confused me as well, but I think he's referring to Wayne State.
    Yes, that is what I meant. I thought it was reasonably clear in context, but apparently not.

People seem unusually united in praising this development. Am I on the wrong website?

The holes on Woodward are filling in! That will be one nice block. And an entire nice block at that!

I think this looks stellar although I wish they were restoring the roofline of the theatre facade to its original peaked profile, as was drawn in the original renderings. But I can't wait for this project to be complete, especially those much-needed 61 residential units!

Side note, here's an article about the project from June 11th's Detroit News:

June 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    Midtown's Woodward Garden Theatre due to open spring 2013

The long-closed Garden Theater in Detroit's Midtown area, on the 3900 block of Woodward Avenue, received $1 million in loans from state and Detroit development agencies in April [[David Coates/The Detroit News)

Detroit's newest theater should be open by this time next year, and an adjoining housing and commercial development won't be too far behind, developers said Monday.

The Woodward Garden Block Development, a more than decade-old project, received the last financing needed in April to complete the $12.3 million rehabilitation of the 32,000-square-foot Woodward Garden Theatre.

The theater will be modeled after the Pageant Concert Nightclub in St. Louis.

The theater's open venue will have a capacity of 1,300 with primarily standing attendee arrangements, said Michael Byrd, a partner in Woodward SA-PK LLC, which has worked with Woodward Garden Theater LLC on the project since 2002. It will house "concerts of all kinds" but will lean toward Motown and bluegrass artists, he said.

"We're not looking to be the Fox [[Theatre)," Byrd said. "We're looking to be the best at our level."

The residential and commercial development should be completed in 14 months, Byrd said.

There will 47 apartments priced "between market rate and high-market rate," he said. The Midtown area currently has an apartment vacancy rate of less than 4 percent, according to Midtown Inc.

The commercial development could include a clothing store, shoe store, computer center and battery repair shop, but no commitments will be official until the structure is complete, Byrd said. The project will create an estimated 380 jobs.

The long-closed Garden Theater in Detroit's Midtown area, on the 3900 block of Woodward Avenue, received $1 million in loans from state and Detroit development agencies in April.

The theater development also is using part of a state brownfield tax credit of $2.2 million approved in 2007.

khenkel@detnews.com
    [[313) 222-2504

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1xjE24Ofl