Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Surprised no one had any comment on Virginia Park story

This is an interesting story about a young man who has purchased and restored 2 magnificant houses in this district, and also talks about the experiences of some of the current residents of the neighborhood, and some recent history of the neighborhood. This story first appeared 9 days ago, I am surprised no one has brough it up.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120603/NEWS01/206030550/Man-on-mission-to-revive-Virginia-Park-Street-in-Detroit

When Jeff Cowin walked into his first three-story mansion on Virginia Park Street in Detroit, he saw that Mother Nature and mankind had effectively destroyed it.

Rain had soaked through the ceilings. Thieves had stolen the plumbing and whatever else they could find. The once-stately mansion, complete with servants' stairs, had been gutted. And on the December 2010 day he moved into the neighborhood, it was cold, the streetlights were out, and not a soul was in sight.

Good job and good luck Mr Cowin!

Bravo Mr. Cowin. Another of the many 'little victories' that are quietly making a difference in Detroit. As for no one commenting on it, it just goes to prove the axiom of 'ten thousand airplanes landing safely everyday is not news'.

With the current real estate collapse, there are golden opportunities for anyone with a mix of DIY skills, a lot of sweat equity, an open-minded spirit of adventure and hard work to acquire fabulous properties for next to nothing. I had a similar experience when a real estate collapse allow me to buy a declining arts and crafts beauty in Highland Park at the height of the flight in the early 70's for $20K. Many people told me I was crazy, but I lived compfortably there for nearly 3 decades for next to nothing, home-birthed my and raised my child there, restored it along the way and sold it for a profit that allowed me to move debt-free into my retirement house.

Many of those who scoffed are still paying rent or paying off their house notes.

I have long thought that this stretch of Virginia Park has tremendous potential to be rehabilitated, having such a fantastic housing stock and being so close to New Center. Not to mention the fact that it is a compact three block area.

It seems like he might even have a good business plan, since he is able to rent the houses to high quality tenants. One person really can make a difference; I hope his efforts encourage others to join him.

At the opposite end of this stretch of VP there is a microcosm of the struggles of the street - the last house on street, by the Lodge, is a decaying unsecured hulk, next to an empty lot which in turn is next to a formerly abandoned colonial now being renovated.

It looks like the featured house is pictured in the Wikipedia photo of the historic district. It still has the front porch intact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vi...treetscape.jpg
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; June-12-12 at 12:09 PM.

As someone who is actively seeking out living accomodations in the city of Detroit, I wish I knew if he had any vacancies...or...if there was some way to get in touch with him.

I really have my heart set on downtown, but would consider a situation like this to help out like minded travelers!

Paulie G

It is good to see the home owners strive on VP which is not far from me. But that cobblestone street. Ick. Played havoc with my already troubled front end. Oye!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    As someone who is actively seeking out living accomodations in the city of Detroit, I wish I knew if he had any vacancies...or...if there was some way to get in touch with him.

I really have my heart set on downtown, but would consider a situation like this to help out like minded travelers!

Paulie G

jeffcowin58@gmail.com

Paulie G

Zacha, cobblestone street you say?!?! Thanks 4 the heads up...I was planning on selling my Dodge 4x4 Off Road...maybe I need to rethink that!?!?

Much appreciated Double Tap!

Paulie G

Jeff is a friend of mine. I did a story for my blog a few months ago. I should have posted this story but I guess I had already done one myself.

http://www.motorgay.net/search/label...roit%20Booster

Btw, Jeff is talking about purchasing his third house on that very same block.

Yeah, beautiful but I could only make it half way down in my until I get these struts replaced. Found the houses being rehabbed though. Great job!

Zacha, cobblestone street you say?!?! Thanks 4 the heads up...I was planning on selling my Dodge 4x4 Off Road...maybe I need to rethink that!?!?

Much appreciated Double Tap!

Paulie G

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    Jeff is a friend of mine. I did a story for my blog a few months ago. I should have posted this story but I guess I had already done one myself.

http://www.motorgay.net/search/label...roit%20Booster
    Thanks for the link. It's interesting to see the house when it was obviously a work in progress. Nice new driveway. And Jeff is cute too....

I'm familiar with the cobblestone streets of Charleston [[South Carolina,) which is a few hours away from my [[current) home and an awesome weekend getaway! Those cobblestones were originally used as ballast in the keels of wooden ships. There hard enough just to walk on [[especially after a few Palmetto Ambers)... much less driving over them in a car in need of struts...tread gently Zacha!

Paulie G