Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Vintage Detroit Slogans?

Hello All!

So I recently moved to New Orleans from the Detroit metro area and there is this great place here where you can create your own shirts and I really want to represent Detroit! I know the modern Detroit shirt company but i sort of wanted to do something a little different so do you guys know of any old detroit slogans [[i know that old say nice things about detroit, which is cool) but if you guys know any cool ideas for shirts that would be great!
    Last edited by kick22; June-11-12 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kick22 View Post
    Hello All!

So I recently moved to New Orleans from the Detroit metro area and there is this great place here where you can create your own shirts and I really want to represent Detroit! I know the modern Detroit shirt company but i sort of wanted to do something a little different so do you guys know of any old detroit slogans [[i know that old say nice things about detroit, which is cool) but if you guys know any cool ideas for shirts that would be great!
    DETROIT: We used to manufacture almost every car in the world.

Now we make T-shirts...

When your already iin Detroit you won't have to take the bus to get there.

DETROIT!
    It's not so bad!

My dad bought me a shirt when I was about 5 that said "Detroit-where the weak are killed and eaten." I wore it to see my relatives in Chicago and they thought it was sooo funny.

Those shirts were once sold in a shop in one of Detroit's major tourism attractions - the Renaissance Center - until people complained to Center management. Detroiters are their own worst enemies.

Say nice things about Detroit

Be a part of the heart of Detroit

Come back to Detroit. We missed you the first time. [[picture of handgun)

Coleman Young had a really high-class tourism slogan, "Do It In Detroit."
    KK wanted to have "Detroit Drives the World" and had to be argued out of it by people who said it was laughable hyperbole. His idea was certainly a window into what would be revealed later as his pathological obsession with his own grandiosity.
    If I were the original poster, I would look for a Bob-lo logo and slogan, or Twin Pines or something Soupy said. Those would be conversation starters.

GUSHI Guest

Take your crime north of 8 mile

Technically that^ quote is "Hit 8 Mile Road"

The full quote is, "I issue a warning to all those pushers, to all rip-off artists, to all muggers: It’s time to leave Detroit; hit Eight Mile Road! And I don’t give a damn if they are black or white, or if they wear Superfly suits or blue uniforms with silver badges. Hit the road."

Somehow that got twisted into CAY saying, "Take your crime north of 8 mile" in the suburban mind.

Thank you for posting the full quote Lowell. The shortened version has been taken as writ; like quoting scriptures: take a few words, leave out rest. Presto! The context, intent and full meaning is lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

The full quote is, "I issue a warning to all those pushers, to all rip-off artists, to all muggers: It’s time to leave Detroit; hit Eight Mile Road! And I don’t give a damn if they are black or white, or if they wear Superfly suits or blue uniforms with silver badges. Hit the road."

Somehow that got twisted into CAY saying, "Take your crime north of 8 mile" in the suburban mind.

Don't forget the one recently where $40K was spent for a group to come up with the slogan "It's a great time in Detroit".

Bless you boys!

Don't forget the one recently where $40K was spent for a group to come up with the slogan "It's a great time in Detroit".

It was in 1995 - not too recent. Archer was Mayor. Construction everywhere. It was believable then. The key to a successful marketing tag-line is believability.

Default Take your crime north of 8 mile

Interesting you should say that. When I was growing up, that quote was almost universally translated by white Detroiters as a euphemism for "get out of Detroit, if you don't like who is running the city." Memory fades, recollections get blurry, but as I recall, it had nothing to do with crime.

"All ya really need is Art, miles and miles of Art..."I know it was all about the DIA, but somehow after all these years that tag line still sticks with me when I think of my beloved Detroit...

How about the city's motto, in Latin or English [[or both):

Speramus meliora; resurget cineribus
    We hope for better things; it will rise from the ashes

I bought a tile a Pewabic that said 'Life is Worth Living in Detroit' or the Michigan tile 'Enjoy the Beauty & Bounty Michigan'

This bears repeating:

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Take your crime north of 8 mile

Quote Originally Posted by Zaddik View Post
    Interesting you should say that. When I was growing up, that quote was almost universally translated by white Detroiters as a euphemism for "get out of Detroit, if you don't like who is running the city." Memory fades, recollections get blurry, but as I recall, it had nothing to do with crime.
    You learn something every day.

Now excuse me while I resume picking my jaw up off the floor over this legendarily divisive mayor, I mean to say the extent of the ill-will required for the legend of CAY's divisive quote about 8-Mile to be sufficiently pervasive for it to be known to me of all people.

We do good works.

And I suppose no one would have been upset if the Mayor of Ferndale or Hazel Park had made the exact same quote?

Anything connected with commedian Soupy Sales: The Bird Bath Club, The Soupy Shuffle, White Fang & Black Tooth, and Willy the Worm - "The sickest worm in all of Deee-troit"! or Milky the Clown and the magic words: "Twin Pines". The 1968 Tigers: "Sock it to 'em, Tigers" and "Go get 'em, Tigers". During WW2, Detroit was the "Arsenal of Democracy".
    Last edited by chuck mc; June-22-12 at 10:22 PM.

'' I don't know anything about any goddamned Kruggerands ''
    Coleman Young

I've bought a couple of shirts from this place , maybe you can get some idea's from here
    http://downwithdetroit.spreadshirt.com/shop/designs