Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default El Moore Building Rehab in Midtown

What a beautiful old building. Too bad it's gonna take two or three years to get it in shape. HEY OWNER OF THE CHARLEVOIX! TAKE NOTES!http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...t-building.php

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    What a beautiful old building. Too bad it's gonna take two or three years to get it in shape. HEY OWNER OF THE CHARLEVOIX! TAKE NOTES!http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...t-building.php

Not even in the same time zone when it comes to size and content. You could rehab 10 El Moore's with the cost of the Charlevoix!

I know. I just wanted to yell at the owner of the Charlevoix and deliver some good news.

Who owns that? I'm pretty sure i've been inside that one at some point

Now that is a tchroo brownstone. Period.

Nearly all of this lovely Richardsonian building's original interior beauty [[hand carved woodwork, cast iron victorian fireplace grilles, mantles, antique plumbing, etc) were all sold in a sort of "fire-sale" on the front lawn by the previous investors shortly before the bank foreclosed on the property. Damn shame.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; June-14-12 at 12:04 AM.

Happened by the El Moore last Saturday while on the Midtown walking tour and was surprised to see that this renovation is underway at last!! All new windows. Porches and stairs on the back of the building. And what looks like a penthouse as its crowning glory!!

Anyone have any details to share?

Curbed had info today. Interesting to hear that part of it is going to be a hostel.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2014/05/el-moore.php

The El Moore is really humming along now!

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...alley.php#more

http://elmoore.com/2014/11/02/constr...tober-27-2014/

I am really impressed with the reuse of numerous materials.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; November-10-14 at 02:15 PM.

I once got robbed in front of that building. Good to see that it is being rehabbed. I remember the "fire sale" of all of the once-beautiful details. I was certain the building was a goner then.

Wow! I drove by the El Moore today -- it looks nearly complete. It has an annex and these metal round tower structures, one attached. One on the attached lot. What a fantastic restoration! I knew someone that lived there when it was pits about 20 years ago. I took a few photos. Name:  IMG_1417.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  101.4 KBName:  IMG_1416.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  72.0 KBName:  IMG_1418.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  51.1 KBName:  IMG_1419.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  81.9 KB
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-14-15 at 06:00 PM.

What a very impressive project, inside as well as out.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    What a very impressive project, inside as well as out.
    While Zacha's images are quite good, the project has complete f***ed up the building itself. What is not shown is the very tacky/ugly piece of crap "addition" that has been placed on the top of the building. I am also bewildered with that "attachment" on the side of the building. This building has now become my poster child for remuddling in Detroit.

Yeah, what is that thing attached to the side? An elevator??

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, what is that thing attached to the side? An elevator??
    Apparently so. From the first caption in animatedmartian's link:
    To the left is the new addition built to house an elevator and a common entrance area.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    ... What is not shown is the very tacky/ugly piece of crap "addition" that has been placed on the top of the building....
    That compelled me to find this in the freep photos:

It doesn't look ugly at all. It actually makes the building look more interesting. I just wish there were two other apartment buildings on either side of it instead of a garden.

From the parking lot perspective of the photo Jimaz posted, I think the blandness of the addition blends in not too offensively with the back of the El Moore. Unfortunately, when you see it from the front, it still looks like the back of a building and looks terrible next to the beautiful street-side architecture of the El Moore.

It's a shame that they couldn't have done a better job of respecting the century-old character of the El Moore with that new structure. I guess if you attach the words "green" and "sustainable," you're hoping people will overlook your poor taste.
    Last edited by downtownguy; July-15-15 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    From the parking lot perspective of the photo Jimaz posted, I think the blandness of the addition blends in not too offensively with the back of the El Moore. Unfortunately, when you see it from the front, it still looks like the back of a building and looks terrible next to the beautiful street-side architecture of the El Moore.

It's a shame that they couldn't have done a better job of respecting the century-old character of the El Moore with that new structure. I guess if you attach the words "green" and "sustainable," you're hoping people will overlook your poor taste.

What is going to happen to the old water tower?

I was wishing they had made the elevator addition more like the tower. On the whole, it is a good project that keeps a lot of the original design elements. I love the greenhouse because it reminds me of the old conservatory at my grade school. It was round and looked a lot like Morticia's conservatory. What was her flytrap's name, Cleopatra, my darling?

I want to rent one of the lodges for the Thanksgiving Parade and for the Freedom Festival. Where do I get in line?

I'd love to live on the top floor! What a view.

Were'd the Water Tower come from??! I don't recall it on the premises back in the 80's when the building was in steep decline.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    What is going to happen to the old water tower?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

I'm a little more forgiving. It would be impossibly expensive to recreate anything like the 1890's stonework. Meanwhile contemporary construction attempting historical references almost inevitably seems a cheap, shallow, half-effort. I suggest the best compromise is an addition as inconspicuous as possible, to minimize the extent it detracts. And in my judgment they've accomplished that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast