Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Downtown Wyandotte is on fire!

A fire that started at the Lions, Tigers and Beers bar on Biddle near Oak at 7 pm has spread to 3 buildings north.

Mostly ALL Downriver fire departments have been on the scene.
    Wyandotte Patch reports that the bar is a total loss.
    Allen Park, Lincoln Park, Brownstown, Allen Park, Romulus, Trenton, Taylor and Rockwood fire departments are on the scene. Detroit Fire Department has sent a fire boat that is spraying water from the river.

http://wyandotte.patch.com/articles/...tes-restaraunt

Wyandotte'll be alright.

Does Wyandotte have mutual aide contracts with all those communities?

I remember when it was really windy a year or so ago and Detroit had 85 fires in one night. Warren sent equipment down into Detroit, something that hadn't been done since the riots.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Does Wyandotte have mutual aide contracts with all those communities?

I remember when it was really windy a year or so ago and Detroit had 85 fires in one night. Warren sent equipment down into Detroit, something that hadn't been done since the riots.
    Yes, they do.

How can the fire boat hit the building from 2 blocks away?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I think they probably sent the fire boat to assist with pumping water from the river, not necessarily to spray the building. The pump on the boat would draw a lot more water than a fire truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I think they probably sent the fire boat to assist with pumping water from the river, not necessarily to spray the building. The pump on the boat would draw a lot more water than a fire truck.
    Good point! With all those fire companies connecting their hoses to the fire hydrants nearby... I bet water pressure was low...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Good question. I would guesstimate the distance from the rivers edge to the back of the building is 100 yds. Those water guns can shoot pretty far. The sprinklers on football fields shoot about 40 yds and they are not as powerful. I think it probably could hit the building from the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Good question. I would guesstimate the distance from the rivers edge to the back of the building is 100 yds.
    Measurement on GoogleEarth shows about 200 yards. But there's nothing there other than parking spaces.

Lions and Tigers and Beers burned down? Oh, the humanity ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

Or... I love the smell of roasted hops in the morning.

Downtown Wyandotte will survive! One building eyesore will not decrease its property values.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Downtown Wyandotte will survive! One building eyesore will not decrease its property values.
    I think it will survive. But given this structure position between Biddle and the waterfront park, there may be a lot of pressure to do some sort of 1960's redevelopment.

^ I don't think it will sit for years like it would in Detroit.

This fire was actually pretty devastating for a community that a takes pride in it's history/historic structures. No doubt LTB's will be back, and the people living above will find new homes. But a historic building is done for, and that is sad.
    Last edited by SaintMe; June-11-12 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    This fire was actually pretty devastating for a community that a takes pride in it's history/historic structures. No doubt LTB's will be back, and the people living above will find new homes. But a historic building is done for, and that is sad.
    I am sorry for that. I mourn the loss of historic buildings. I remember when the Calvin Theatre burned down in Dearborn, and we lost another piece of history. [[Pappy Detroitnerd walked out of the Calvin one afternoon to see traffic stopped, people talking, angry people banging pots and pans -- it was Dec. 7, 1941.)

That said, LTB: Worst. Name. Ever.

I am sorry for that. I mourn the loss of historic buildings. I remember when the Calvin Theatre burned down in Dearborn, and we lost another piece of history. [[Pappy Detroitnerd walked out of the Calvin one afternoon to see traffic stopped, people talking, angry people banging pots and pans -- it was Dec. 7, 1941.)

That said, LTB: Worst. Name. Ever.
    I remember the Calvin too. Pops would take us there because they had dollar movies back in the 1970's.

I only went to the LTB bar once, when it had another name. It was on a trip into the abyss. A group of us would started out at one bar, and asked for the worst beer they had. Then we would tell the bartender that beer is not so bad and asked to be sent to a bar with worse beer in Wyandotte. We ended up at the bottom of the barrel skank pit!

That building was renovated and refaced in the past so not much historical look will be lost to the community.
    I understand LTB was planning on expanding next door also.

Glad to know the Curtis Randolph can actually participate in firefighting if needed, rather than just cruising up and down the river for special events. That being said, I'm sorry for the loss in downtown Wyandotte....not for the bar, but for the historic building and downtown fabric along Biddle Avenue.