Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Income Tax Issues

I just received a letter in the mail from the City of Detroit Finance Department. Here's a few interesting facts about the letter:

• The letter is dated May 21st
    • The letter is postmarked June 7th
    • The letter was received June 9th
    • The letter demands payment by May 31st

However, what's even more frustrating is that the city of Detroit owes ME money, not the other way around.

I filed my Detroit income taxes back in February. Detroit actually owes me a small amount of money. However, the city of Detroit has given me no credit for any taxes I paid in 2012, and instead says that I owe them wholly for my tax liability in 2012.

I know of at least one other person that I work with that has had this same exact issue with a demand for money that isn't owed and a letter demanding that you pay by a date in the past.

Argh. Know I have to work against a bass-ackwards bankrupt government known for it's total lack of responsiveness.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Scottathew; June-10-12 at 02:54 PM.

You should check to make sure that your employer isn't pulling a LaVan Hawkins on you. That guy stole his employees' withheld taxes instead of properly remitting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    You should check to make sure that your employer isn't pulling a LaVan Hawkins on you. That guy stole his employees' withheld taxes instead of properly remitting them.
    I can assure you, this is not the case. I work for a larger, reputable entity.