Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anybody Heard of Free Geek?

I ran across a non-profit multi-function group that deals with technology and the environment. From what I gather, they serve a few different functions.

They accept donations of electronics [[mostly computers) and salvage what they can to build a working computer. And what they can't use, they recycle in a manner that does the least damage to our environment. The working computers then go to 1) non-profit organizations who need [[but can't afford) computers, people who can't afford computers, and a program where a person can work at/for Free Geek something like 24 hours and they earn a computer of their own. The computers are loaded with open source software, like IBM's Open Office [[a complete office suite similar to MS Office), running with the free Ubuntu operating system. While the computers aren't the latest technology, they are capable of running basic software and can be used online from anywhere offering free wi-fi. People who can't afford computers are usually given laptops because of their portability. They also offer classes in Ubuntu at their Ferndale location.

There are numerous locations in cities across the country, with the original center in Portland, OR.

There's a ton of information at the website:

http://www.motorcityfreegeek.net/

Looks good to me. I don't need a computer but I do like the direction they seem to be headed.

lots of people ask where to donate computers, some donate them to the salvation army.looks like they do computer classes too.i havent heard of them, but it looks like a good idea.

Never heard of this before either. It definitely sounds like a good thing. Thanks for sharing the information!
    -DVD