Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fort Street Near Downtown

I just started a new series on my blog called "Driving Detroit", and the first post/video is a section of Fort Street. If you want to check it out here's the link.

The part of Fort Street I recorded is from Scotten to 2nd Street. Some sections seem ripe for development. It's close to downtown and there's quick access to I-75. Granted there are some existing businesses already, but there are some pretty big holes in the landscape that could be filled.

Do you all think this stretch of road will ever get fully developed with new businesses, apartments or something else?
    -DVD

Possibly, granted this stretch, besides the Post Office, was mostly industrial.

Nice video; thanks for sharing!

I used to walk a beat c. 1960 or so on Fort between the Boulevard and 12th Sreet. Wasn't a heck of a lot back then except for the driver's lounge in the Greyhound building and a White Castle somewhere around 14th. I did find a B&E in progress at the Detroit Trucking building around 20th [[guy got away; I was in the alley and he busted out thru the Fort street side). Also got a lot of pigeon shit all over me from under the bridge. Ah, me, memories..........

Glad you liked the video Ray1936. Thanks for your sharing your anecdote! I think it's an interesting area, I guess because it's so close to downtown, and of course the bridge is cool to drive by.

@313WX I imagine there is probably brownfield issues with some of the land and that could impact future development.
    -DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Nice video; thanks for sharing!

I used to walk a beat c. 1960 or so on Fort between the Boulevard and 12th Sreet. Wasn't a heck of a lot back then except for the driver's lounge in the Greyhound building and a White Castle somewhere around 14th. I did find a B&E in progress at the Detroit Trucking building around 20th [[guy got away; I was in the alley and he busted out thru the Fort street side). Also got a lot of pigeon shit all over me from under the bridge. Ah, me, memories..........
    There was the Ambassador Bar! i can recall going in there one with my dad when I was about 12. They were going to serve me beer!

I also recall a Service Merchandise/Folands type of store on the S side of the street.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-09-12 at 11:06 PM.

I liked it and also the Cinco de Mayo parade was a lot of fun. Thanks for posting these.

Great video. The area is very ripe for development but untilconfidence returns with the city and its finances, I assume not many developersare willing to take the risk.

What time of day and what day of the week was this filmed?

Thanks

Thanks canuck, glad you liked the Cinco de Mayo video also.

@illwill thanks, glad you liked the video. I've been thinking about the area and I agree with you, lack of confidence and especially financial state of the city make it a risky investment. -- I shot the video on a Saturday in May around 3:00 pm.
    -DVD