Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Senate Theater

Default Senate Theater

Has anyone gone to the Senate Theater on Michigan Ave. near Livernois lately? This is the first time it had showed movies in years! Last night I went to the Senate and saw 3 silent films while the organist played the Wurlitzer from the stage next to the screen. They showed a Betty Boop cartoon and Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton movies. About 200 people attended. What was your favorite Detroit Theater from the old days? Is it still in existence?

Where did everyone park? I pass by there every so often, and maybe I'm missing the obvious i.e. a parking lot [[lol) But I've never noticed one. Is there a lot around there?
    I've been to the Redford and the DIA when they have live music accompany a silent film, but no experience with theaters "back in the day".
    -DVD

Shollin Guest

I always like Laurel and Hardy.

On a side note, is Harpos still open? I remember going there back in the day.

Its nice to know they have instaledl projection equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I always like Laurel and Hardy.

On a side note, is Harpos still open? I remember going there back in the day.
    Harpos is definitely still open, and still just as grimy as you might remember it

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitVideoDaily View Post
    Where did everyone park? I pass by there every so often, and maybe I'm missing the obvious i.e. a parking lot [[lol) But I've never noticed one. Is there a lot around there?
    I've been to the Redford and the DIA when they have live music accompany a silent film, but no experience with theaters "back in the day".
    -DVD
    There is a parking lot across from the theater on the south side of Michigan Ave. Here is the DTOS/Senate web page. http://dtos.org/

I think there was a Dyes blog about the Senate and it's reopening in the last year or so. If I can find the old post I will put the link in. But I'm not great at finding old posts here.

When are they going to start selling beer and hot dogs again?

Does anyone remember Senate Sweet Shop which was right next door to the theater back in the day?

It's great that DTOS backed away from their plan to sell the building and move the Fisher organ out to the burbs [[Ann Arbor, maybe?), which was their plan a few years ago. Rumor was that a strip joint was the preferred buyer for the theatre. They are preserving more than an historic theatre organ! I believe they also began some sort of partnership with the MCTOS/Redford Theatre group, which will hopefully make both more successful.

Thanks kryptonite for the info. I figured there had to be a lot near by. Just never noticed it before.
    -DVD

Friday night was my first time at the Senate. I had no idea the original Fisher organ in all its Mayan glory was at the Senate used to live a few blocks away. They had given some tickets to kids at a local middle school which encouraged more families to try out the theater.

We took a tour of the pipes of the organ through 4 rooms behind the screen. We stood in line for the tour next to an 85 year old man who had last been to the Senate when he was 10 years old - 1937.

Re: Parking - We parked on michigan ave, but it looked like there was a lot behind the Senate [[north of Michigan) with a security guard at the entrance. There was security at the front door as well keeping an eye on Michigan.

Yes, there is parking adjacent to the theatre on Gilbert street, and the society reciently purchased another derelict house to demolish to expand parking.

What does DTOS stand for?

Detroit Theater Organ Society.

I have been to one of their Senate Theater concerts, it was a nice time and for a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Does anyone remember Senate Sweet Shop which was right next door to the theater back in the day?
    Hope I have this right, but my [[deceased) mother owned a sweet shop near there going back maybe in the '40s. I remember being told the story a number of times.

I forgot why she sold it.

If this is the one, and the shop probably turned over a number of times, so others might have a historical connection.

Unfortunately, all of my aunts and uncles on my mother's side are long since deceased and I'm not sure if my cousins could confirm. My mother's sister died nine years ago.

let me know when the real Senate Coney Island returns, steak sanwiches smothered in chili keep a hoopde won,t have to worry about parking..

candy store next door