Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why Foreigners are Still Attracted to Detroit

As the past few years have shown Detroit has grown increasingly attractive to artists, thinkers, adventurers and the curious from around the world.

For all its challenges and drawbacks, it remains highly interesting and intellectually stimulating for those who 'get it' or are trying to.

This audio visual article by Jake Warga displays yet another facet of this phenomenon.

Very interesting read. I have heard similar stories from people who come here from Europe for the auto show and for the Movement festivals. I wonder how those two events have played into the European idea of Detroit

I show Detroit photos in Flickr and get ppl from around the world commenting, often how fascinated with the city they are. And many are routing for the city to flourish.

Flickr.

on the flip side, i just recently spend a good chunk of what ive been saving up to take my first real trip abroad. i spent a month seeing western europe and morocco.

before i left, everyone i knew warned me about the people who are rude to americans, and a few even cautioned me to claim i was merely a canadian instead. i thought this was bullshit, and being that i am physically well built i would have no problem telling people that i AM an american, and in fact a Detroiter, and if they have a problem with it, then too damn bad. i bothered to learn enough phrases in the 8 or so languages that i would need to use over there and never once had a problem with anyone being rude to me. in fact one Italian was so happy to hear i was from Detroit that he went on to brag that he owned not one but TWO jeeps--vehicles which he deemed 'the best cars ever made' haha

i met another old lady serving me at a cafe on the Belgian-Holland border who was actually [[if i was understanding correctly) 'thanking' me for WWII, odd as that sounds, lol. i think she lived thru the liberation is what i gathered. she asked if my grandparents served, and was extremely excited to see that i was coming to see her part of the world.

the only rude person i ran into was an airline employee at London Heathrow lol. btw dont miss a plane with British Airways--they actually FINE YOU for it. i sent them a real nasty letter...

i dont think anyone i talked to really knew "Michigan," even when i pointed to my hand...but most people knew Detroit, especially when i said "Motor City"

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    i dont think anyone i talked to really knew "Michigan," even when i pointed to my hand...but most people knew Detroit, especially when i said "Motor City"
    Nobody knows Michigan unless they're American or spend significant time in the American sphere of influence. OTOH, nearly everybody in the west has at least heard about Detroit.

I was in Paris a couple of years ago killing some time at a Lebanese diner. I started talking to one of the workers about the U.S. and I told him that I was originally from Detroit, which he had heard of but did not know exactly where it was located. I said "it's in Michigan", which he had never heard of before. Then I said "it's halfway between Chicago and Toronto" which made a lot more sense. Ironically, when I was saying that Detroit is near Chicago he said something like "that's the city on that big lake?" Yeah, Lake Michigan...

oh, now i remember what i was gonna say, lol

anyway, when i was over there i noticed A LOT of abandoned blgs...note quite as many as we have here, but there was way more than i expected. and there was WAY more graffiti over there than we have here. even Iceland, a place which you would think to be pure and pristine, was all tagged up.

Belgium and Germany, Spain, France and Italy...there were tons of abandoned industrial sites. so, basically i don't get why they have to come here to ogle MCS when theres just as much of the same shit over there?

my main reason for going over there was to visit european forts and related stuff.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; June-12-12 at 01:14 PM.

WaCoTS, the European's I've always encountered [[in many countries) have been very helpful and nice... especially if you make some attempt at a few words in their language. And almost everyone there has heard of Detroit, but won't find it on a map...

And the Brits... this should put their reputation [[not all of them) into perspective...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_Ty_72Qds

Jake Warga. Must be of Dutch origin.

Entering the village of Wegea, formally known as Warga, now spelled in Frisian.

I thought it had something to do with cheap hookers and plentiful drugs.

Several years back I went to Europe. I told everyone I was from Detroit, no one was rude to me, but then again I am a like-able person [[when I am not playing devil's advocate!).
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-12-12 at 07:59 PM.

GUSHI Guest

They follow cuzions here, one comes, a second comes etc,etc,,eetc, look @ Dearborn and hamtrmack, ESP.