Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: SilverCup Bread

Default SilverCup Bread

Did You Ever?

There was a song, a millennium ago, that began, “Did you ever, did you ever, did you ever, fall in love?” Well, this post is not about that.

Did you ever have a ‘lard’ sandwich, with ‘SilverCup’ Bread. You know, lard, like from a pig. And if you never heard of ‘Silver Cup’ Bread, just skip the whole thing. Each loaf of SilverCup was made with one pint of milk. Or so it was claimed. Toasting it in the morning, and consuming it, was an ongoing confirmation that the holy ‘Host’, could only come in second.

If your family was rich, and could afford mayonnaise or Kraft’s salad dressing, you could have a sandwich, made solely of either ingredient.

The epitome of gluttonous, was to come home from the Saturday Matinee at the Rivola Theater and find the 5 cent piece on the kitchen table, which same, mobilized you to run across the street to Maggie’s Grocery store and buy 6 skinny slices [[read onion skin) of Bologna. The only dilemma was,, do I make two sandwiches with three slices of bologna or do I make three sandwiches with two slices. Mustard? Catchup? Forget it. We could not afford those frills.

Ma never cooked on Saturday evening. Each kid got a nickel. That was extravagance. It never occurred to us children to look into the ice box for “leftovers.” There was no such thing.

With a 25 % unemployment, THAT was a DEPRESSION.

Back to the SilverCup thing. I have often wondered why they stopped producing.
    I like to believe that they refused to cheapen their product.

Never been a horse that couldn’t be rode,
    Never been a rider that couldn’t be thrower.

This I like. Remember the Silvercup Bread Rocket? Why a rocket? Because Silvercup Bread is out of this world, of course.

http://www.mst3ktemple.com/silvercup_rocket.html

The Rocket is now awaiting restoration at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo.

Oh wow....I think my mind had completely forgotten the rocket & Jones. I was on that thing more than once at the fair.

Thanks for that post gazhekwe

your from Detroit if you ate little loafs of silvercup .

Silvercup!
    Try and see,
    How it gives you energy.
    Made with milk - Eat it up,
    Better bread by Silvercup!

Soupy Sales - Lunch with Soupy - 1955

Remember the signs by the side of the road? They'd advertise Silver Cup Bread with a picture of one of the hydros, and the slogan "Such Crust".

Speaking of Jack Schafer, thunderboats.org has a nifty history of Shafer's hydroplane history with a couple of really good pictures of the original Miss Such Crust, and the Miss Such Crust III and IV.

http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0417.html

I had a 8x10 BW of me standing on Such Crust circa 1957, in the pits on the Detroit River. My uncle was buddies with Schaefer on some level.

Somehow that managed to get lost over the years.....sure wish I still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Remember the signs by the side of the road? They'd advertise Silver Cup Bread with a picture of one of the hydros, and the slogan "Such Crust".
    Silver Cup and Such Crust were competitors?

Silver Cup was the bakery that baked Silver Cup Bread. Such Crust I-V were hydroplanes owned by Silver Cup's owner Jack Schafer. They did compete from 1948 til 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Silver Cup was the bakery that baked Silver Cup Bread. Such Crust I-V were hydroplanes owned by Silver Cup's owner Jack Schafer. They did compete from 1948 til 1966.
    I believe Siver Cup was owned by Gorder Bakery not Schafer. Siver Cup and Such Crust were not made by the same source.

I believe you are talking of Silvercup Bakery in Queens, NY, which was formerly known as Gordon Bakery.

Lots of information here about Silver Cup Bakery and Such Crust, including description of each race.

The racing career of Detroit bakery executive Jack Schafer, Sr., began in 1947 with a boat that he had won in a poker game. ....

[In 1954] The Schafer Bakeries went into receivership. The racing team had to close its doors for a couple of years. The momentum built up between 1948 and 1953 was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I believe you are talking of Silvercup Bakery in Queens, NY, which was formerly known as Gordon Bakery.

Lots of information here about Silver Cup Bakery and Such Crust, including description of each race.

The racing career of Detroit bakery executive Jack Schafer, Sr., began in 1947 with a boat that he had won in a poker game. ....

[In 1954] The Schafer Bakeries went into receivership. The racing team had to close its doors for a couple of years. The momentum built up between 1948 and 1953 was lost.

The article mentions Siilver Cup Racing as in Silver/Cup Gold/Cup. Not a word about Silvercup bread or bakery.

It is not Silvercup here in Detroit. It was SilverCup Bread out of Schafer aka SilverCup Bakery. Interesting, Aunt Millie's aka Perfection Bakery purchased Schafer in 1964.

Then again, maybe it was the same company. Here is the story of the Silvercup Rocket of Detroit, states it was built by Detroit based Gordon Bakery in 1954. That was the year Schafer went into receivership.

http://www.mst3ktemple.com/silvercup_rocket.html
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-26-12 at 04:16 PM.