Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Deadline Detroit Is Reporting Ft Wayne Might Host a Music Festival This Summer

Last edited by Carey; June-08-12 at 04:25 PM.

I realize that Ft Wayne might not have the significance of an Alamo or Gettysburg, but this still somehow seems a little wrong to me. It's a place for which I've had reverence since boyhood.

I could not think of a better place for a music festival. Sit on the ramparts and listen to music. Have a picnic. Introduce new people to the site. Excellent idea!

... and have reverence.

Very interesting idea, and I can't wait for more details.

Definitely - this sounds promising.

Also, in the past you have been able to watch the fireworks from Fort Wayne. I haven't been able to find anything online that says the Fort is open or closed for the fireworks this year.

ughh...i didnt think this was going to be publicised yet.
    there has been a planning group out here a couple times sorting out logistics issues, of which there are plenty.

this is from my understanding a fully city-run event, and the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition has no involvement [[other than we will be on site in our blgs to make sure no drunken morons try to steal our lawnmowers and such).

*allegedly* from what i've heard the event will have actual sheriffs and DPD acting as security, which in my opinion would be a NECESSITY, due to the enormous potential for injuries to people / damage to fragile blgs, unlike the near total lack of professional security during the last La Explosiva mexican music fest that was turned into a complete disaster by a freak hailstorm/gale. we've also nearly got the perimeter fence repaired along Jefferson Ave where the SUV crashed thru it last October, but keeping people from sneaking into a 92 acre site is gonna be a challenge.

the actual stage or stages for this would be on the large parade field, and NOT inside the star fort. this is not the first time Fort Wayne has been considered as a concert venue...way back Ted Nugent was talking about doing it, and Kid Rock toured the site more recently, but decided that Belle Isle would be a better venue for him because it has downtown skyline as the backdrop, instead of boring industrial Windsor like you have at the Fort.
    another issue that i see is parking...if theyre talking about having several thousand people there, you'll have to have some kind of shuttle? because our parking lot is not big enough for that many cars.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Also, in the past you have been able to watch the fireworks from Fort Wayne. I haven't been able to find anything online that says the Fort is open or closed for the fireworks this year.
    the Fort is open to the public ONLY on Saturdays and Sundays from May-October this year, or tours by appointment.

if you become a member of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition you can join us because we will be there bbq'ing. it may be kinda far from the show, but at least you dont have to deal with the idiotic crowds & traffic!

http://historicfortwaynecoalition.com/involved.html

we also could use some help doing maintenance work on the property.

BTW here's our schedule of public events:
    http://historicfortwaynecoalition.com/Events.html
    Last edited by WaCoTS; June-12-12 at 12:32 PM.