Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tossing bananas and monkey chanting at black athletes.

Not a good look Europe.

I hope when[[not if) this happens two things go down.

A) The black players on both teams just walk off. No responding to them. No anger. Just a silent show that it won't be tolerated.

B) There's a fan riot in the stadium and these idiots are trampled to death.

I know it's happening all over Europe but when it gets to Russia...that is be one ugly spectacle to behold.

My favorite team of any sport is the US Women's Soccer team. In 1999, the US played through 3 overtimes with China in what can only be called an epic battle. After three overtimes, the game was decided on a penalty shoot out. The US had a black goalie, Brianna Scurry who won the day. There were something like 150M Chinese up at 3am watching this and having their hearts torn out by Brianna Scurry's brilliant move. There were said to be a lot of racial comments made in China. It wasn't bad enough that they lost but losing to a black person somehow made it worse to them. My point being that soccer racism is not confined to Europe.

Brianna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFWHI7zvp0
    This game was, by the way, the most viewed female sports event ever.

I do believe that statements were made in China, But I don't think it was on the level or intensity of the type of statements made in Europe. The Chinese seem to be very respectful of black athletes especially the NBA guys that go over there on a periodic basis.

Europe to me is a different story, they don't call those guys hooligans for nothing.

Firstandten, Perhaps, but English fans have earned a reputation as hooligans even without the racial comments.

Georgetown vs. Chinese team. Things got out of hand. Not sure what part racism played a role. I haven't yet seen Europeans do anything like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BcHM...feature=fvwrel

Yes, your right. However I don't think the fight between the two teams was really based on racism. I believe it had more to do with the fact a Chinese professional team was playing a college team, the game was very physical. The Chinese pro team had a 57-15 edge in shooting free throws. If you know basketball, something like that stat would cause a fight at the pee-wee level much less the higher levels of the game.

Yet given all that the score was still tied. A Chinese player pushed the Georgetown player down after fouling him and bingo ! Your typical baskeball brawl.

Whereas in Europe the soccer fans [[fanatics) and some players on the opposing teams act overtly racist.

btw in european basketball arena's they fight alot also, but its something about soccer that brings the worst out of fans in Europe
    Last edited by firstandten; June-08-12 at 01:19 PM.

It was small but inevitable.

And I wanted to seem him get a hold of someone.

I don't see this happening in America.

We're racist but we'll be damned if we give someone concrete evidence!

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    It was small but inevitable.

And I wanted to seem him get a hold of someone.

I don't see this happening in America.

We're racist but we'll be damned if we give someone concrete evidence!
    Tell that to Joel Ward of the Capitals.