Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Troy firm develops bold plan to cut costs, beef up police and save Detroit

Not necessarily a perfect plan, but a GREAT start. Bold thinking is what's going to get things in Detroit straightened out. Maintenance of the status quo via either Consent Agreement or EM isn't going to fix anything long term...only remediate the immediate problems. Long term fix has to be structural in nature.

Good read.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...d-save-Detroit

Fascinating plan.

I like the offloading of things from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Fascinating plan.

I like the offloading of things from the city.
    From a consultant in Oakland County no less. Things are moving in the right direction as people are slowly accepting regionalization simply because we have no other choice.

Suburbs pitching in to help police the Fireworks? Great news.
    Having inner-ring suburbs pick up some of the police work on the margins of the city? Good for both the city and the suburban neighborhoods bordering the suburbs.

These are the types of solutions that will make people angry but will actually get things done. Which means they're exactly what the doctor ordered.

Yup, the keywords are regionalization and discussion. The volume knob may turn up a notch, but this is badly needed. Seeing that most of the cops and firefighters live outside the city boundaries, there isnt much difference in the shared handling of a situation btwn burbs and Detroit's services in that respect. I wish Detroiters a nice consolidated future and by the way, once the ball gets rolling; dont any of you think that property values will go up?

I think any signal that the city and counties mean business would create a formidable interest in the region.

The biggest problem in Detroit at this time is the idea that there are too many structural deficiencies to attempt anything. There has to be a comprehensive plan to restructure and a state assisted plan toward urban amalgamation, but beyond that; there has to be an understanding that any problem should be met
    with a positive attitude, as in; we will cross that bridge when we get there.

That seems like a rational plan, except for the privatizing of the water and sewerage department. maybe privatize the operations, but that isn't clear, unless I missed something

Interesting plan & one that should definitely be looked at...

1. I don't see Mayor Carpetbagger accepting any advice from anybody with any outside connections, much less a Troy firm. Remember that his administration essentially ran off one of the top urban planners in the country from the Works project.

2. Having suburban fire companies respond to local emergencies across border lines makes sense. I however, don't see suburban police rushing to a call in the city, and if forced to actually treating city residents with respect. 1500 more cops would be a nice addition to the streets [[maybe we could even get some on foot!)

Ha! Solving Detroit's problems are easy. We don't need a consulting firm to propose sensible solutions, you could just yank any random 12-year-old off the street and ask for solutions. It's not rocket science.

The real problem is any effective solution would thwart or diminish the power of unsavory politicians, businessmen and special interest groups. These common sense proposals are fought tooth and nail for a reason. You think Kwame couldn't have implimented these proposed solutions when he was mayor? Really? The issue is, how could Kwame impliment these type of solutions and rob the city blind at the same time? He couldn't so he settled for just robbing the city blind.

It's the entrenched corrupt parties involved in city government that need to be rooted out, at all costs. If that ever happens these types of solutions would be no-brainers.

Good to see someone toss everything into the mix. Step back and look at what really should be done. Forget the nay-sayers. They'll always be around. Set a good vision, and get with it.

[[Funny that he's calling for Snyder to be more aggressive. If Foster posted here, he'd be crucified.)

In reading the plan, there's some fundamental misunderstandings about Detroit's finances. The water and sewer debt is already regionalized. Everyone who uses the system is contributing towards paying off that debt. Also, it's not appropriate to lump all the debt together as if it's one and the same. Debt issued by departments like water and sewer or the parking authority are paid for by the users of the system. The city doesn't directly contribute to those debt payments. Most, if not all, of those debts are long-term debts which mean they are not all due in the current fiscal year. It's no different than a person with a mortgage. You may owe the bank $250,000 but unless you simply stop paying, you'll never be on the hook for that entire amount. The same is true of the city.

Much of this plan involves wishful thinking. Pass the 9 mill Public Safety millage? Does anyone think that's likely to happen or that will help Detroit's long-term finances? Changes in Federal Medicare and Medicaid billing practices so Detroit can bill the poor and indigent for EMS services and have the Feds pick up the cost? Right, I'm sure the feds in Washington DC are going to jump right on that. Adding 2000 police and fire officers and ignoring the long-term costs to pension and retiree health care obligations? $50 to $150 million in revenue from land sales? I have a tunnel to Windsor to sell you. Transfer all DWSD debt to a new authority. I'm sure Brooks Patterson will embrace that. Same with DDOT but with a new millage on top of that! State subsidy for a regional library system. Why? And why would communities like Canton or Plymouth want to be absorbed into a system run at the county level? Expand City Airport into the equivalent of Chicago Midway? The policing zones imagines the Macomb County Sheriff handling 911 calls in Detroit? Who in the world thinks that's a good idea?

This is a "great plan" if you mean a plan to get your firm some free PR and possibly some new clients or business. But it's not very well grounded in reality and the idea that Detroit's going to be able to offload its debt to the state or suburban communities isn't going to fly. Nor are suburban communities going to be interested in giving up control of their core services to Detroit.

It goes back to the thing where you x amount of leo per x amount of citizens,the city lacks the proper level and now it would be a good idea to pull some from surrounding cities who are already strapped?,what then happens to their qauility of life and leval of public safety?

Push comes to shove fire departments already help each other out.

It seems like everybody acts like DWS is such a bad thing but when all these plans are discussed that is the first thing everybody wants,I am not personally a big proponent of selling the assets of the city for short term gain.

How will bonds be raised in the future? You will have no assets so the state will have to cosign for the payback then every time the city needs to raise capital they will have to ask the state,whoever is in office at the time will be the puppeteer.

The city airport will be a part of Areo, so it is in theory already privatized,you are just paying for the holding costs until then.

I think that laying out a plan of this sort is useful for two reasons. One is that is sets out a number of possible actions. As described by Novine, a lot of them are not going to happen for various reasons mostly having to do with them needing support from the Federal government, state government, or neighboring cities which is unlikely to be forthcoming. But there could be some actual feasible ideas in there.

Second, and to my mind more important, is that by showing an example of what it would take to get the city into a reasonable fiscal and operational position, it helps demonstrate the inadequacy of the plans that have been discussed previously. As long as people are just talking vaguely about cutting spending, or even discussing specific cuts in isolation, it is hard to know what people think the situation would look like after those reductions.

True. But this plan doesn't do that either. Does anyone foresee a realistic plan where Detroit adds 2000 cops and firefighters? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Second, and to my mind more important, is that by showing an example of what it would take to get the city into a reasonable fiscal and operational position, it helps demonstrate the inadequacy of the plans that have been discussed previously. As long as people are just talking vaguely about cutting spending, or even discussing specific cuts in isolation, it is hard to know what people think the situation would look like after those reductions.
    I agree with you here. Even if the the end vision doesn't seem politically viable right now, it will eventually become politically viable if it's the only answer that solves the problems.

When you look at many of the changes that are happening in the city...like the Cobo Hall regional authority, the Detroit Zoo regional authority, the DIA millage proposal, Campus Martius and the Riverfront being funded and governed by conservancies, Belle Isle moving to state-run operations...none of these things would ever have been politically viable 20 years ago, even if their eventual necessities were a foregone conclusion.

My vote is to have our best and brightest minds come up with the boldest visions for how to solve our city's problems in ways that benefit all the stakeholders, including the Metro Detroit Region and the entire State of Michigan. Once the best visions come to light, then politicians can argue about the most viable ways to bring them to fruition.

The problem is that we do things in reverse. Everyone argues about who's in control, when we should be arguing about what solutions are optimal. We have a difficult time put problem-solving before personal pride, hence Stephen Henderson's first sentence in today's column, "Swallow your pride, or choke on it.
    That's what Detroit is down to in its operatic arc of financial tragedy: a final choice between acceptance of reality and suicidal defiance.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    True. But this plan doesn't do that either. Does anyone foresee a realistic plan where Detroit adds 2000 cops and firefighters? I don't.
    I agree. I wasn't claiming the plan was realistic in detail, in fact I said it wasn't. I'm just saying that in terms of scale it is closer to reality than what I have heard previously. I don't want to add any firefighters, but it might be possible to add quite a few police; the police budget is not converted efficiently into police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

When you look at many of the changes that are happening in the city...like the Cobo Hall regional authority, the Detroit Zoo regional authority, the DIA millage proposal, Campus Martius and the Riverfront being funded and governed by conservancies, Belle Isle moving to state-run operations...none of these things would ever have been politically viable 20 years ago, even if their eventual necessities were a foregone conclusion.
    Yes. Lots of those things were inconceivable 20 years ago.

And it isn't likely to just be Detroit either--I will be very surprised if there isn't more of a push toward more non-traditional operational agreements among neighboring cities, because there are many inefficiently sized units of government in Metro Detroit, and the fiscal pressures are not likely to go away any time soon.

I'm still not convinced that Detroit's leadership is too stupid to figure out how to turn the city around. I'm also completely unconvinced that the leadership is too prideful [[yes the citizens are, but the leadership is just exploiting that) to turn things around. I believe corrupt political and business interests are our biggest impediment. If we can get the obstructionists out of the way I think the path to turning Detroit around becomes much easier.

What happened to all those so called indictments that were supposed to be coming from the feds? So far it looks like just Kwame, Bobby Ferguson, and a few other people. We haven't scratched the surface yet.

Detroit Firm Develops Bold Plan to Save Troy by Removing Ugly Architecture, Overhauling Zoning Rules and Establishing Mass Transit

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Detroit Firm Develops Bold Plan to Save Troy by Removing Ugly Architecture, Overhauling Zoning Rules and Establishing Mass Transit
    That would actually be a good plan. When Troy gets to the point where on the verge of insolvency and payless paydays, I will be the first one to advocate for it.

That would actually be a good plan. When Troy gets to the point where on the verge of insolvency and payless paydays, I will be the first one to advocate for it.
    Detroit is full of long-term promise, if only quick-fixers would have a lighter touch and not attempt to turn it into Troy. Because Troy has long-term troubles ahead.

Just my silly sense of humor acting up. We now return to your regularly scheduled conversation about Detroit.

If you think something is good policy, why wait for a crisis to start advocating it?

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Yes. Lots of those things were inconceivable 20 years ago.

And it isn't likely to just be Detroit either--I will be very surprised if there isn't more of a push toward more non-traditional operational agreements among neighboring cities, because there are many inefficiently sized units of government in Metro Detroit, and the fiscal pressures are not likely to go away any time soon.
    Its great to see movement towards running government rationally -- rather than as little kingdoms. We forget that government is there to serve citizens, not be just another corporation.

Even in good times, it would be wise to centralize certain resources. Dispatching for example, is about as common as you can get. Everyone needs it. And right now many people do it themselves. But its not so easy. The best results are obtained when its done very well. NPR or similar just had a story on how well-trained 911 dispatch can save lives by implementing very specific instructions to someone attending to a heart attack. Dramatic increases in successful results.

Do you really want Pleasant Ridge, Oak Park, and Royal Oak all to have to independently learn these 'best practices'? Will the mayor's cousin who runs that department know these new trends in dispatch? Or would it be best to regionalize or outsource to someone who knows how to save your life?

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    If you think something is good policy, why wait for a crisis to start advocating it?
    Fair enough

Just so you [[and others) know, the religion of regionalization that I preach to Detroiters is the same religion I preach to those in the suburbs. The reaction is generally the same in that it makes both sides mad [[though for different reasons).

Which means it's probably what we all need.

Fair enough

Just so you [[and others) know, the religion of regionalization that I preach to Detroiters is the same religion I preach to those in the suburbs. The reaction is generally the same in that it makes both sides mad [[though for different reasons).

Which means it's probably what we all need.
    Over and over, I am reminded of the family sliding down from middle-class status and complaining, "We can't afford day care for the kids! And we can't afford assisted living for our parents! What will we do?"

Um ....

Over and over, I am reminded of the family sliding down from middle-class status and complaining, "We can't afford day care for the kids! And we can't afford assisted living for our parents! What will we do?"

There's nothing they can do. The time for "what can we do" was 20-30 years ago. The well started drying up long ago. Many people realized it and prepared. Many didn't and are suffering. And many people did realize it, couldn't change and are suffering, too.

There's nothing they can do about right now. There's something we can do about the future. I wish I could turn back the economic clock to 1960...I really do. But I can't and no one else can. So we must re-invent our lives, and the longer we wait to do it, the worse it's going to be.

Well said, Its a sad situation but it kind of sums up the real issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Ha! Solving Detroit's problems are easy. We don't need a consulting firm to propose sensible solutions, you could just yank any random 12-year-old off the street and ask for solutions. It's not rocket science.

The real problem is any effective solution would thwart or diminish the power of unsavory politicians, businessmen and special interest groups. These common sense proposals are fought tooth and nail for a reason. You think Kwame couldn't have implimented these proposed solutions when he was mayor? Really? The issue is, how could Kwame impliment these type of solutions and rob the city blind at the same time? He couldn't so he settled for just robbing the city blind.

It's the entrenched corrupt parties involved in city government that need to be rooted out, at all costs. If that ever happens these types of solutions would be no-brainers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast