Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default When is a K9 NOT considered a full police officer?

When he becomes unmanageable due to aggressive behavior.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...text|FRONTPAGE

I simply cannot believe the human officer shot his partner.

Something is really amiss here.

Seems that if a perpetrator acting against a K9 Officer is treated as if they've attacked a human cop, this officer must be shown the same 'courtesy'.

I wonder about this event...

No cheers on this one.

No cheers, but not for the same reasons that you have [[We all know you harbor a feverish disdain for law enforcement).
    I'm sure the last thing the officer wanted to do was shoot his own dog, but when human life or safety is on the line he knew what had to be done. The moment that dog viciously attacked his own handler it was dead either way, it's just sad that his aggression problems could not be corrected in time.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-07-12 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    [[We all know you harbor a feverish disdain for law enforcement)
    Then, Johnny5, you don't know a good goddamned thing about me.

Your reading comprehension skills are sorely lacking.

I do hold a feverish disdain for only those officers of the law who are hypocrites, and do not act within the law themselves. I'm not talking about sneaking a joint here and there, as long as they haven't stolen the cannabis from a citizen. I specifically call out those bad apples who make ALL officers of the law look bad, those power-mongers who abuse their authority.

I DO hold in disdain a few laws which should never have been placed on the books. Those laws I choose to break, and do so willingly and often. Cheerfully, even.

Whenever I've been noticed and caught breaking them, I've always stood and faced up to whomever was attempting to corral me...and most oftentimes I've won. So I must be doing something right.

That said, I simply think this should be treated as ANY broken partnership...as long as the Police wish to hold their K9 Officers as protected as humans. Sure, the K9 attacked him...but outright murder is too harsh a judgement.

We need to look closely at WHY dogs are required as officers of the law. AND why they are strong enough to injure a human. Why are they trained to subdue humans?!

Quite frankly, that is animal abuse.

Drugs should be totally and completely legalized, so there should never, ever BE dogs trained to sniff out drugs.

Bomb materials? I'd yield to that...because of the true consequences of anyone making and using them against others and society.

But there are other breeds which perform the same duties, without being monsters able to hurt a person enough to cause THEM to self-defend with lethal force.

THAT is the rub here...not the bullshit falsehoods you wish to create. So stop with that, ok, you're smelling the place up.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; June-08-12 at 12:44 AM.

Gannon, My apologies for the tone of my post. I did not intend for it to come across as an insult, but after reading it again it's obvious that I should have done a much better job in choosing my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    but when human life or safety is on the line he knew what had to be done. The moment that dog viciously attacked his own handler it was dead either way, it's just sad that his aggression problems could not be corrected in time.
    I'm not sure I agree with the thinking that Human life is more important than all else. They were in a Vet's office so it would seem the Vet could have done something.

What would have happened in the field if the dog had latched on to a suspect and refused to let go? Would the deputy have still shot the dog? What would have happened to the suspect if they had killed the dog for not letting go?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the thinking that Human life is more important than all else. They were in a Vet's office so it would seem the Vet could have done something.

What would have happened in the field if the dog had latched on to a suspect and refused to let go? Would the deputy have still shot the dog? What would have happened to the suspect if they had killed the dog for not letting go?
    I agree. Sounds like a cop I don't want to run across. Doesn't know how to use a baton or a taser, just his gun to deadly force when he freaks out. They stated on the news that the dog was probably suffering from a medical issue and hence not himself and overly defensive...

Correction, he didn't shoot his K9 partner to death... he "discharged his firearm."

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

The motto and creed of many Police Department across America is to protect and to serve" humans and not dogs.

Dogs are not people.

They have no rights. They are the property of their owner liken to a Cadillac or a Nissan.

The use of deadly force can be used on viscous animals.