Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What a splendid result in Wisconcin.

The Public Sector Workers and their accomplices that invaded and occupied the Capitol Building got shafted last night. While their services are essential they need to be stopped, reduced in number and reversed in their never ending rape of Private Sector funds to pay for their ever increasing share of the National Pie. Let them buy their own Pensions. I don't want to save for mine and fund their's.

And Walker won win a slightly larger margin than in 2010.

I have a couple of friends in Manitowac, Wi. They are far, far left of the political spectrum but they voted for Walker because they did not feel the results of the 2010 election should be overturned via Recall.

Recalls should only be used in cases of criminal behavior or maleficence in office and not for political/policy differences.

I suspect many other folks feel the same way. Recall Kwame = good. Recall Snyder = dumb. Recall Ficano = good. Recall Grey Davis = iffy and in retrospect = dumb.

Hence not all recall efforts are created equal as they are usually fueled by heated rhetoric and not sober and thoughtful consideration. The fringes of the political spectrum are tearing at the cohesion of the Nation and should always be held in check.

It was checked by the voters of Wisconsin, this time.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    The Public Sector Workers and their accomplices that invaded and occupied the Capitol Building got shafted last night. While their services are essential they need to be stopped, reduced in number and reversed in their never ending rape of Private Sector funds to pay for their ever increasing share of the National Pie. Let them buy their own Pensions. I don't want to save for mine and fund their's.
    Yeah, all of those public sector workers eating caviar for every meal on their fancy yachts are always looking down at us middle class private sector workers.

I live in Wisconsin but voted for the third candidate listed, he received 1%, as a protest vote against Walker. Walker has been too heavy handed in his attacks against unions, does gerrymandering, and hired a staff of lawyers to fend off illegalities. I can't very well criticize people for enabling Obama if I enable our similarly sleazy governor.

This was not a victory for State Republicans as recalls have now turned the State Senate from Republican to Democratic under Walker. Had Walker conducted less of a scorched earth governorship, the Senate would still be Republican. Col. Custer comes to mind as waging over aggressive tactics in an over confident manner and thus eroding his support. Now Walker doesn't have a Senate to work with. Walker may not even have won if it hadn't been for $25M of out of State campaign money.

The Walker victory probably means more outside of Wisconsin as it may embolden out of State governmental bodies and governors to attack their public sector unions.

I'm not sure Custer is the right military allusion to draw upon.

Phyrrhus might be a better historical touchstone on which to draw. For those who might not remember the old King of Epirus, he defeated the Romans in battle but at such great loss as to guarantee certain defeat in any future battle.

Like Phyrrus, Walker has almost certainly depleted the coffers of his out-of-state supporters thereby crippling them in the larger battle coming this fall.

Custer on the other hand certainly won by losing. His cause of genocidal war was kicked into high-gear and brought the full force of American military might down upon the Plains Indians.

Not to call you into question Oladub, but just to bring the issue into slightly sharper focus. The Republicans spent a cool $25 of 30 million defending a Governor who most certainly will be kicked to the curb in 2014 and at the same time essentially giving the Democrats a clear issue on which to campaign this fall.

Being a Republican, I'm not happy about Walker's win, but I'm even less enthused about the money spent to keep this fool around for what will be two years of numb-nuts governing. He's been kept in office, but has lost the ability to institute any of the reforms promised.

Now, I will say the fault for this mess, lies with the labor faction that just didn't know how to take a powder after 2010. The leaving of the State by Democratic Representatives and hiding in Chicago is just plain stupid because it conveys to the public the idea that politicians are a whiney bunch of cry-babies and that we'd all be better off without them.

That's no way to run a railroad.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I have a couple of friends in Manitowac, Wi. They are far, far left of the political spectrum but they voted for Walker because they did not feel the results of the 2010 election should be overturned via Recall.

Recalls should only be used in cases of criminal behavior or maleficence in office and not for political/policy differences.
    Sounds strange, but probably true. I know a number of people that voted against Walker in the general election but didn't vote in the recall for those very reasons. It does burn me though that the slug is going to be around for a full term though.

It's probably just a coincidence but since Walker's been in office it feels like my business has been under attack. I own a small newspaper and might, on occasion write an article that questions some of his policies. Starting several months ago they began questioning the fact that our delivery people were independent contractors and we should be paying workmen's comp on them. We had to meet the criteria on 10 points. We called the state when we were preparing for the hearing because we couldn't understand some of the wording on about half the questions. The people in the state government offices said the list had been rewritten so quickly that they didn't even understand them. After several weeks of dealing with this it was determined by a judge that we were doing everything correctly and it was dropped.

Two weeks later they sent in an auditor to go over our books. We had to provide them a desk for two days and submit all our records, most of which are on our computers, which they had access to during the audit. We spent almost three weeks providing them information via e-mail and phone conversations. I don't have any idea how many state workers they had on the case or how many hours they spent on it, but when they were finished they charged us $159.00. That's how far off we were on our books for a 5 year period. I'm wondering what will happen next.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

I suspect many other folks feel the same way. Recall Kwame = good. Recall Snyder = dumb. Recall Ficano = good. Recall Grey Davis = iffy and in retrospect = dumb.

Hence not all recall efforts are created equal as they are usually fueled by heated rhetoric and not sober and thoughtful consideration. The fringes of the political spectrum are tearing at the cohesion of the Nation and should always be held in check.

It was checked by the voters of Wisconsin, this time.

As much as I didn't care for Walker's heavy handed ways. The people of Wisc. voted for a man who did what he said he was going to do. I have stated that I don't like recalls for policy reasons and regardless of the party I don't think a person should be recalled for policy reasons, especially if he promised the people that he would implement the policy upon election.

Two interesting things, according to the exit polls it looks like this failed recall won''t affect Obama's chances for winning the state in the fall. The voters in their wisdom look at the recall and the presidential election as two separate issues. And because the Repubs lost the Senate, thats going to slow Walker's roll a little bit

Wisconsin Recall Exit Polls: How Different Groups Voted

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...xit-polls.html

It shouldn't be legal for a state to recall an elected official unless they committed a crime after being voted into office. Shortly after Snyder was elected in MI, I was the Warren Police trying to collect signatures to recall him. Number one, the police shouldn't be allowed to try to recall an official that the PEOPLE elected, number two, Snyder didn't commit a crime. I'm not saying they have to like the guy, but elections are done for reasons.

Last night there was a Dem supporter being interviewed and he was talking about how Democracy in this country is now destroyed [[or something along those lines) and he was farthest from the truth. This was Democracy at it's finest. A man was elected, a large group of opponents tried to recall him, and the people spoke. Entertaining to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    It shouldn't be legal for a state to recall an elected official unless they committed a crime after being voted into office. Shortly after Snyder was elected in MI, I was the Warren Police trying to collect signatures to recall him. Number one, the police shouldn't be allowed to try to recall an official that the PEOPLE elected, number two, Snyder didn't commit a crime. I'm not saying they have to like the guy, but elections are done for reasons.
    I would add dereliction of duty for reasons to recall an official. Its not something necessarily illegal but its in a gray area. The problem is that someones dislike of policy moves can be interpreted as dereliction of duty, and thats why the recall exercise as distasteful as it can be sometimes should not be for only illegal activity.

Couldn't resist Wyatt Cenac's report on the Daily Show the other day - really hits it on the head.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...sconsin-recall

Quote Originally Posted by WKL View Post
    Couldn't resist Wyatt Cenac's report on the Daily Show the other day - really hits it on the head.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...sconsin-recall
    That was a fantastic video.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Jerrytimes, aren't you one of those people who hates government telling people what to do?

So how are you in a position to tell the people of Wisconsin how to run their state?

Update: Walker has since been reinstated, despite allegations of illegal campaign funding and signing off on Voter ID laws. I lived in Madison for a a year, and it's not surprising that no one had anything good to say about the guy. You saw "Recall Walker" propaganda all over, there were still large rallies....this coming from a city where folks still recall [[with pride) seeing an enthusiastically eccentric politician like Proxmire jogging around daily and waving at everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Yeah, all of those public sector workers eating caviar for every meal on their fancy yachts are always looking down at us middle class private sector workers.
    It was a surprise to see this thread started in June 2012 bring resurrected in January 2015 but browsing through it it does illustrate well the old adage - once a dickhead always a dickhead!
    Last edited by coracle; January-24-15 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    It was a surprise to see this thread started in June 2012 bring resurrected in January 2015 but browsing through it it does illustrate well the old adage - once a dickhead always a dickhead!
    And I see you haven't wised up at all.

"I want those services, but I don't want to pay for them." - coracle

Now, he has thrown his hat into the ring. He's got that same dopey look on his face George W. has. I knew Trump and Jeb were just distractions for everyone else to point and jeer at, while the Repubs had a better candidate by comparison [[a case of Bad Cop outshining Even Worse Cop) to curveball us with-it's an old tactic for them to pull [[remember when folks talked about Jeb being the main contender in 2000?). Who's to say that they don't have someone else even more unquestionably charismatic lined up to outshine Walker [[be it woman, be it Latino...)?