Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rosa Parks Transit Center!

Say what one might about public transportation in Detroit, but the Rosa Parks Transit center is a quietly great success. Bus riders are given a clean, dignified, protected and elegant setting in the heart of downtown and next to the People Mover. Sometime we get it right. The heart of the system is alive and well. Let's build on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Say what one might about public transportation in Detroit, but the Rosa Parks Transit center is a quietly great success. Bus riders are given a clean, dignified, protected and elegant setting in the heart of downtown and next to the People Mover. Sometime we get it right. The heart of the system is alive and well. Let's build on it.

I mean no disrespect but I've been to the RPTA twice and it was neither clean nor elegant either of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I mean no disrespect but I've been to the RPTA twice and it was neither clean nor elegant either of those times.

It has its moments.

Typically the only time I use the buses is when I end up at RPT. While not spotless all of the time, I found it to be a much welcomed addition to the bus system here. I found it relatively comfortable most time I've been.

I think it's awesome and beautiful.

But I can't help but think the design beat out the function. If rain and snow is slightly blowing it still hits everyone waiting or boarding buses.

I have been to Rosa Parks many times, and while it has not been, shall we say, uniformly maintained, it beats the pants off of what came before it.

Capitol Park vs. Rosa Parks? No contest.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Capitol Park vs. Rosa Parks? No contest.
    That was my point. No public transit point will ever be spotless. Ever been in a NYC subway station? What existed before - Capitol Park - was demeaning to say the least. What I appreciate the most is its functionality. It works and works well. Traffic flows smoothly and efficiently. Signage is clear, safety is enhanced. That counts.

I like the RPTC a lot. It is a cool looking building, and adds more of an uplifting air to riding the bus, as opposed to "damn I gotta ride the f"in bus." I hope as transit plans for the city advance [[including M1 rail, but also possible long-term regional trainsit authority for commuter and city buses), integrating the various systems is held as an important consideration. Where possible, coordinating stations and service [[and ideally, a universally accepted farecard for all city/commuter buses, people mover, and M1 rail). I do like the PM stopping right adjacent to the RPTC, with a nice view of the inverted Alps. I do wish it were kept cleaner, but it is certainly better than Capital Park. In fact, that divorce substantially benefitted both parties.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; June-06-12 at 12:05 AM.

From what I've seen strolling through it really is a hundred thousand times better than what came before.

The capitol park "center" was so half assed. The booth they had there was out of scheduling information half the time. It's gonna be awesome seeing capitol park get redevoloped. Sucks that the the Pizza Factory is history though.

The center before that at Cadillac Square is doing nice too. It looks like a fountain and small seating area has been installed. That area really is like night and day since I was catching the iron horse from Cass Tech from 99-03.

The layout of having concrete walls along the Cass and Times Square elevations with windows placed too high to see out isn't that great. Bad public behavior could take place on the sidewalk even though there is a security guard posted at a desk just on the other side of the wall [[I assume there are cameras, but who watches those?) I also think the entrance from Michigan Avenue is a bit odd.

Otherwise, I mainly like it and agree with the above comments. I'm happy it's there, and I don't miss Times Square Park. I even kinda like the silly architectural stunts like the pointy part and the banana things. Usually I get very grumpy about things like that, but for some reason this time it has won me over.

Compared to what used to be on that site...
    Name:  LindellAC4.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  33.3 KB

Great shot Lowell !

Quote Originally Posted by WickedILL View Post
    It has its moments.

Guess I missed them lol. I'll have to give the place another try.

I like that kind of architecture, it's perfect in terms of context. It reflects the transient function it was intended for like a big 7-sail ship moored to a city street. There may be a problem with its capacity to shelter riders in cold wet weather but I guess some fine tuning could come into it. It looks great, reminds me of the type of architecture that came up at world's fairs like Expo 67 and in 1970 in Osaka Japan. In fact I always wondered why there wasnt more of that kind of thing popping up in real life situations. What is the sail-like material? Kevlar?

I'm considering taking a bus in this area for the first time. I'm without a car this Friday. I'd be taking a SMART bus on 9-Mile over to Woodward, and then a Woodward bus into downtown.

I'm hoping it will go well.

Question: If I read a book on my Kindle Fire, will I be "asking for it" in terms of being the victim of a crime? Or am I safe to do so on the bus?

I think this terminal is the equal of any similar installation I've seen in other cities. It works well. But I've got a question.

I've only been there on dry days. During rainstorms, does the roof funnel all the runoff into splashing fountains in the middle of the platform?

Also, I was dismayed to see that no one one has reopened restaurants or other businesses in the small storefronts just to the east of the bus station. Maybe given a bit more time . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I'm considering taking a bus in this area for the first time. I'm without a car this Friday. I'd be taking a SMART bus on 9-Mile over to Woodward, and then a Woodward bus into downtown.

Question: If I read a book on my Kindle Fire, will I be "asking for it" in terms of being the victim of a crime? Or am I safe to do so on the bus?
    I'm assuming both legs will be SMART? Kindle will be fine. In fact, morning on the Woodward SMART bus resembles a functioning city. Very diverse and chilled. 9 and Woodward is probably one of the nicest transit 'dwells' in the region, so that's cool too.

Be sure to know the 'peak times' when the SMART bus does actually go downtown.

9 and Woodward is probably one of the nicest transit 'dwells' in the region, so that's a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    I've only been there on dry days. During rainstorms, does the roof funnel all the runoff into splashing fountains in the middle of the platform?

Also, I was dismayed to see that no one one has reopened restaurants or other businesses in the small storefronts just to the east of the bus station. Maybe given a bit more time . . .
    Regarding rain, the water is neatly funneled in waterfalls into drains in the center of the seating circles - fascinating to watch in heavy downpours when all seven are flowing.

On the business front a cajun style restaurant opened recently. It was noted in another thread.

SMART only runs to&from downtown from 6am-9am then again from 3-6pm. All other times riders have to transfer at the Fairgrounds onto a DDOT. I really hate that SMART no longer has fulll service in&out of the city. Riding SMART in&out of Detroit was a very enjoyable experience. As Rolfsy has said it was a very diverse cordial crowd which made the trips so enjoyable. DDOT isn't bad[[at least not my experiences)just different.
    If you take your trip during off peak hours&take your Kindle please report back and let us know how it went.I've been wanting to take my Thrive with me on one of bus trips but haven't mustered the courage to do so yet.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Sucks that the the Pizza Factory is history though.
    Just go to Slice at 1043 Woodward Detroit. Same owners and same pizza.

I'm considering taking a bus in this area for the first time. Will I be "asking for it" in terms of being the victim of a crime? Or am I safe to do so on the bus?
    Not to freak you out or anything, but as a young woman who rode the bus for several years, just keep this in mind:

Don't carry a handbag. Use one thats an across the chest strapped or backpack style. It's REALLY hard to snatch those. And glance at who gets off the bus with you, cuz you never know... I don't care if its busy, daylight, suburbs, whatever. You get all types on the bus and around the stops.

And enjoy yourself. Bring your books and your music and relax. There's a lot to be said for paying attention to everything but the road on your way to and from work.

And the weather! Check before you go so you'll know if you need your umbrella. No need to carry extra crap you don't need

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    That was my point. No public transit point will ever be spotless. Ever been in a NYC subway station? What existed before - Capitol Park - was demeaning to say the least. What I appreciate the most is its functionality. It works and works well. Traffic flows smoothly and efficiently. Signage is clear, safety is enhanced. That counts.
    Well, yes -- I have been. And they are extremely well-maintained and clean. Worn? sure. Dirty? no.

Thanks for all the advice folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Well, yes -- I have been. And they are extremely well-maintained and clean. Worn? sure. Dirty? no.
    Have you ever looked down? I use the NYC subway everyday and yes they are dirty.

The Penn Station and the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan are also pretty dirty.

I use the NYC subway everyday and yes they are dirty.
    Not to mention often kind of smelly. Of course all the stations aren't the same. To give NYC credit, they get a lot of use and they were much worse 30 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast