Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 12th anniversary of Avalon Breads

This column by ROCHELLE RILEY in the Free Press is about one of the coolest neighborhoods in the Detroit. Such a unique area my wife and I are seriously considered moving there.

http://freep.com/article/20090619/CO...s+a+fellowship

The area around the Avalon bakery is one of those small examples of what Detroit could be, but I'm sure the "POSITIVE" people of this area will find something else to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Yes, if only all of Detroit could be like the West Willis Village area!
    So where's Willis Village? In general terms, why does adding a direction make things seem better? I have been to that bakery and is quite nice. I don't think we need 21st century hippies, the 20th century ones were enough.

It's west of Woodward. That's enough to be called "West". And every century needs their hippies.

Not much going on at East Willis except for some apartments and the hospital.

I will take 20th and 21st and century hippies over bums, junkies, crackheads and vandals anyday.

Toolbox Guest

I love the urban storytellers that sit out front.

dexterferry Guest

unfortunately, 21st-century hippies seem to have a hard time asking 21st-century hobos not to constantly beg for change outside their bakery.

A decade later, the block is thriving, and the bakery is committed to permanence.
    Does that mean they scrapped the idea of moving to a bigger store?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Does that mean they scrapped the idea of moving to a bigger store?
    Not sure, but the bigger store they plan to move to is just down the street on the ground floor of those lofts, so they're not leaving the neighborhood regardless.

Willis... !