Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default somerset collection returning to downtown Detroit ... sort of

I saw on the morning news before I left for work that Somerset is returning to downtown Detroit ... sort of . Well the are returning , but not at the same location.

They are moving down Woodward I think at 1261 Woodward in mid June. I went by there and it looks like they are working on it.

Also it won't be called somerset City lofts, I think they are changing the name to DOWNTOWN DETROIT days?

I think in for the downtown days they used to have at Hudsons?

If any one has more news please feel free to add !

Well it's the same concept as last summer but at a new, larger location a block down and there will be independent retailers located on former site of Hudson's.

Downtown Detroit Days wasn't a Hudson's specific event, it included all downtown retailers and businesses.

Interesting concept, I wonder why they wont open more days during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    Is the Somerset City Loft that will open only at the end of each month on weekends be different from the Somerset Mini Mall. Will the Mini Mall open only on weekends at the end of the month also? Where was it reported that the name was changed to Downtown Detroit Day?

From what I saw and heard on the news it will be the same as last year. only on the last weekend of the month starting this month .
    I saw it on Fox News .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; June-06-12 at 08:16 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    Or heck, at least every weekend?

It's not exactly the same as last year. They're expanding the space by around 5000 sq. feet [[3000 more for shopping). Also, they've got that outside vendor thing going on the Hudson site. In the article that I read, they said they want it to be a tradition to have this. I call BS. I'd rather have a building on the Hudson site and more permanent shopping. I think both will happen though and I appreciate that they are giving people a reason to shop downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    It's not exactly the same as last year. They're expanding the space by around 5000 sq. feet [[3000 more for shopping). Also, they've got that outside vendor thing going on the Hudson site. In the article that I read, they said they want it to be a tradition to have this. I call BS. I'd rather have a building on the Hudson site and more permanent shopping. I think both will happen though and I appreciate that they are giving people a reason to shop downtown.
    I am glad that Somerset Collection is giving a reason for people to shop downtown also. I would rather see a Downtown Detroit Day concept for downtown detroit every weekend for starters. More store could participate in Downtown Detroit Days including, Targets, JCPenney, Macys, Meijers, and Kmarts. They could set up individuals areas in one of the buildings on merchant row or in the storefront of the highrise buildings on Woodward or Griswold. Private arm security could patrol all of downtown during the event

The problem is that no one would drive all the way downtown when they can go to the JC Penney, Target, and Macy's 10 minutes away. Gilbert has the right idea. We need to bring shopping into Detroit that you can't get anywhere else, or in very few places. It makes Detroit's shopping a destination. I noticed that in Chicago. Some of the stores on the Mile were really cool and also they were stores that I had never seen anywhere else. Once you get a bunch of those, THEN you can throw a Macy's down there. It seems like the role of normal 'anchor' stores needs to be reversed in Detroit's case.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    The problem is that no one would drive all the way downtown when they can go to the JC Penney, Target, and Macy's 10 minutes away. Gilbert has the right idea. We need to bring shopping into Detroit that you can't get anywhere else, or in very few places. It makes Detroit's shopping a destination. I noticed that in Chicago. Some of the stores on the Mile were really cool and also they were stores that I had never seen anywhere else. Once you get a bunch of those, THEN you can throw a Macy's down there. It seems like the role of normal 'anchor' stores needs to be reversed in Detroit's case.
    You have to understand that, eventhough no one would drive downtown to shop at these stores, there are many people who live in or near the downtown/midtown area. Many people didn't think that the Somerset Collection would not work for why shop at these stores when people would shop at the stores in Somerset Mall that is near them. Gilbert and others were bold enough to give it a try with sucess. They didn't buy into the "it would not work in Detroit" theory.

I wasn't saying that JcPenny and Target should be a permanent fixture for now. I was saying that a popup Target and other middle end affordable store would also be a sucess in the downtown area. Chicago's Target is a sucess. Open a permanent Target or WalMart where the Farmer Jacks once was in the Jefferson Village strip mall and see how Detroiters and people from the nearby suburbs would support that also.

Give things a try. You will be surprise how much of a sucess it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    You have to understand that, eventhough no one would drive downtown to shop at these stores, there are many people who live in or near the downtown/midtown area. Many people didn't think that the Somerset Collection would not work for why shop at these stores when people would shop at the stores in Somerset Mall that is near them. Gilbert and others were bold enough to give it a try with sucess. They didn't buy into the "it would not work in Detroit" theory.

I wasn't saying that JcPenny and Target should be a permanent fixture for now. I was saying that a popup Target and other middle end affordable store would also be a sucess in the downtown area. Chicago's Target is a sucess. Open a permanent Target or WalMart where the Farmer Jacks once was in the Jefferson Village strip mall and see how Detroiters and people from the nearby suburbs would support that also.

Give things a try. You will be surprise how much of a sucess it could be.

A pop up Target? Now that is funny in so many ways!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    A pop up Target? Now that is funny in so many ways!
    A pop up Neiman Marcus was also until it became a part of the pop-up Somerset Collection City Lofts. Target, Macys, JCPenney and other middle end stores could do the same thing that Somerset is doing in downtown Detroit with much sucess. Target could sell some of it's brands. However, a permanent Target would do go in the downtown area or somewhere along Jefferson.

I stopped by the somerset collection Downtown Detroit and was pleasantly surprised. The place was packed ! tons of interns from quicken loans.
    The size is noticeably larger than last year .I spoke to a couple of the people working the event and they said it was VERY busy already!
    I stopped by DDD also , it was nice , I think they should have made it larger , maybe both sides ?
    Hopefully this is a sign of thing to come !?
    On a side note I went to the VA for Vets event and it was great ! This was a VERY good event , so much helpful information . A lot of the people working the event were from out of town and me being the Detroiter I am , asked a couple of the people , 1st have you been to Detroit ,or is this your first visit to Detroit , then ,"how are you finding Detroit?"
    I was happy with the responses I heard . I often heard " I didn't know Detroit was so nice " and I love the river front and fireworks"
    Granted they were surprised by the abandonment , but who wouldn't be ?
    also they didn't stray too far from downtown , most were staying in the Downtown area and had no car, but most like the city and had really nice things to say.
    I believe once cobo is done with the renovations and more events , more people will see that Detroit is full of surprises !
    Last edited by Detroitdave; June-30-12 at 05:27 AM. Reason: edit

Somerset Mall Prototype Bazaar in Downtown Detroit is huge sucess. It's Growing faster and a great shopping venture. Someday Downtown Detroit will be filled up with great exotic shopping. We might a Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Van Maur, Parisian, JC Penny's and many more.

Default Great to hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Somerset Mall Prototype Bazaar in Downtown Detroit is huge sucess. It's Growing faster and a great shopping venture. Someday Downtown Detroit will be filled up with great exotic shopping. We might a Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Van Maur, Parisian, JC Penny's and many more.
    Hopefully they can make this a permanent shopping destination. Even if it is only open on select days. I really think if they did the proper marketing and opened Friday-Sunday every week, this place could take off. Especially with all the new lofts and apartments going in downtown as well as the visitors. There will be a market for this. Whoever came up with the idea did a great job. Really makes me want to come down to the City Loft and Eastern Market tomorrow..

Thanks Dan Glibert for making Downtown Detroit come to life with the Somerset Mini Mall. Dan Gilbert for Mayor of Detroit 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    A pop up Neiman Marcus was also until it became a part of the pop-up Somerset Collection City Lofts. Target, Macys, JCPenney and other middle end stores could do the same thing that Somerset is doing in downtown Detroit with much sucess. Target could sell some of it's brands. However, a permanent Target would do go in the downtown area or somewhere along Jefferson.
    Wheels, my friend, some things just sail over peoples heads. Whooooosh!

I had went to the Somerset Collection in Detroit today. I was impressed. The location is larger than the one used last year. I wish that this would go on through the summer, fall, and winter. I would love to see Macy's participate this year.

They should really look into doing this all year ! At least every quarter.
    It should go into fall and the Christmas season !