Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Help! Need Help Planning A Week-Long Trip To Michigan!

Twenty year old daughter...
    One year old Grandson will be in tow!

We are looking to spend a week in Michigan [[July 1-July 6). Considered Mackinac Island but there does not seem to be anything to do there during that week [[would love to partake in the fudge shops though....yum!). Budget is $1500 so please don't go overboard with the cost suggestions!

I want to be around water and to have access to a city or nice small town with conveniences [[if necessary).

Thanks for any suggestions.

How are you traveling? Where are you starting? There are lots of options but it helps to know your travel route.

Traveling via car

Starting piont is Central Ohio [[would love to keep it between 6-8 hours max for travel)

Starting in Columbus the round trip to Mackinaw is roughly a 1000 miles, factor a random 26 mpg and you'll spend about $150 on gas at $4.00 a gallon. Since side trips and whatnot will add another bunch of miles, round up the gas budget to $200

that leaves you with $1300 for the week.

I'll figure there will be 3 adults and a baby, so that works out to $185 a day for lodging and food.

That is going to be tough unless you are into camping.

If you are there is a wonderful campgrounds called Wilderness State Park. It is just west of the Bridge by a dozen miles and it is located directly on the water.

A one yr old is a tough camping partner as midnight crying jags will keep your neighbors awake and not in dear them to you in the morning. Especially if they've been around the campfire howling at the moon and keeping you awake.

They do have camping cabins at the campgrounds, but those book early. You can find them at Michigan.org

With your limited funds, I fear you might be a budget hawk your entire trip and not truly enjoy yourself. You might want to consider the islands in Lake Erie. Kelly Island certainly has a resort feel to it as does Pele Island [[is that canada?) but there are other islands in Lake Erie and it would save you a couple of hundred in gas money.

Of course, you're always welcome to come to Detroit, we can sell you an entire house for $1,500 and you could use it as a little northern getaway whenever you want.

I was just saying there should be inter city camping and squatters
    weekend bed and breakfast in our fine town.
    COME TO DETROIT

I would suggest a first couple of days at greenfield village/henry ford museum, then a trek out I-94 to the beach anywhere from holland to new buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    I was just saying there should be inter city camping and squatters
    weekend bed and breakfast in our fine town.
    COME TO DETROIT

People with homes/rooms for rent:

http://www.airbnb.com/detroit

rb336

Sounds good!

Detroit is out of the question. Not taking my Grandson there. No disrespect intended.

Gnome,

I will look up the Lake Erie islands. Thanks#

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint Patty View Post
    Detroit is out of the question. Not taking my Grandson there. No disrespect intended.
    May have not been intended, but disrespect still the same.

Yeah, whatever you do, don't take your grandson to Detroit.

Just post on the message board for Detroit asking for help.

Have you checked out the Pure Michigan travel and tourism website?
    http://www.michigan.org/

Michigan, including Detroit, has so much to offer!!! You are bound to find something to enjoy!

I suggest that you consider Michigan's thumb....Port Huron has beautiful views of the water, a couple really nice museums; further up M-25 you can stop at Lakeport State Park for the day and then keep going through a number of small towns such as Lexington and Port Sanilac and Harbor Beach, all with history and quaint small town atmosphere. Nice B&Bs in the area too. At the tip of the thumb, enjoy Port Austin and then down to Caseville and Pointe aux Barques. Then head inland over to Saginaw...the Marshall Fredericks Sculpture Museum is at the University there...and downtown is a lovely historical museum. Back down I-75, enjoy a day in Frankenmuth, an old German village with lots of shops and restaurants. Shop at the outlets at nearby Birch Run. Then back down to I-75. Before hitting the Ohio border, consider a visit to Ann Arbor...there's a museum of natural history at the U of M, plus a Hands On children's museum, and lots of wonderful restaurants on Main St.

So much to see and do!! Enjoy your time in Michigan!!

For Ohio Island info:

http://www.lake-erie.com/

http://www.kelleysisland.com/

http://www.putinbay.com/

However, that's Ohio and I'd hate to encourage you to spend any time with our hated neighbors to the south. They are a rough bunch down there and are prone to all sorts of unseemly behavior, but if watching the pennies is important ...

Sometimes the Ohio-Michigan stuff is a little too much for me. I remember going down to a bar in Ohio and recognizing the maize word "Michigan" on a blue field. Below it, somebody had written "SUCKS." Sigh ...

For people such as that, I recommend a trip to Michigan's enticing Middle Finger region.

What exactly did your daughter do to deserve this punishment?

The Detroit thing is silly, and cuts out some good destinations, but if you don't want to drive too far the thumb suggestion above probably makes sense. Besides the German thing, Frankenmuth has fudge. You could swing by Greenfield Village [[I refuse to call it "The Henry Ford") on your way in or out, which I always enjoy.

If you provide some notion of what sorts of things you like, somebody might have some additional ideas. The great thing about a one-year-old is you don't have to worry about what they like, so this could be your daughter's last chance to do stuff without considering children's tolerances for a number of years.

I am just trying to do something besides staying in Ohio. I have done so much here in Ohio. Looking for something different.

Detroit scares me because of the crime and abandonment. I would love to see the Riverfront and GM headquarters but my nerves are shot and I want to be safe. I have seen the Pure Michigan ads and want to check out the state's offerings. I get tired of the Michigan-Ohio pettyness. I may consider stopping by Detroit but the residents must make their city less threatening.

Sorry for any disrespect. I appreciate all suggestions.

Fishing, hiking, cycling, shopping at quaint shops, child museum, possible boating and jet skiing, swimming and relaxing away from city life. This is what I am seeking.

I may consider stopping by Detroit but the residents must make their city less threatening.
    We'll get right on it. Your wish is our command.

Fishing, hiking, cycling, shopping at quaint shops, child museum, possible boating and jet skiing, swimming and relaxing away from city life. This is what I am seeking.
    On a $1500.00 dollar budget for six days for how many?

You have got to be kidding?

Actually, that is totally doable. None of those things is all that expensive. I doubt I will get close to $1500 during my week [[for three) in the UP, and I [[or my relatives) do most of those things. However, I skip the jetski and I mostly cook in the cabin instead of eating out--the restaurant selection is pretty limited anyway.

Michigan has some excellent rail trails for cycling. http://www.trails.com/stateactivity.aspx?area=15792

I would think the children's museum is probably pointless for a one-year-old though. Maybe a zoo instead?

The west coast of the state is probably a better bet to be able to do all the things that you listed. But with the holiday, it might be challenging to find places to stay at a reasonable rate. On the way west, you could stop at Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek.

Thanks everyone! Going to quickly put this mini vacay together.

Honestly, considering that it's the 4th of July week I would suggest Ontario. I don't want to get stuck behind a slow moving Ohio car on my way up I-75
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-04-12 at 10:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast