Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Belle Isle Aquarium Vandalized - dozens of fish dead

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/homepage_sho...of-fish-killed

A horrific crime was discovered this morning at the Belle Isle Aquarium, as volunteers arrived to find dozens of fish dead and a half-empty bottle of bleach on the premises.

OK... this has to be an inside job.... any visiting public has no access to the sealed exterior of the fish tanks...

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!

On Thursday night I was enjoying the aquarium. Old Gramps & I had a moment that just had me laughing & smiling. Now he's dead because of some worthless son of a...
    Last edited by jtf1972; June-02-12 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... this has to be an inside job.... any visiting public has no access to the sealed exterior of the fish tanks...
    Anybody who might break in after it closed [[about 3pm) would have full access. The doors to behind the scenes are not locked.

I'm not saying it is not an "inside job," as there are persons who might have access that would not like it to open [[or it wouldn't have been shuttered in the first place) but with all the activity on the island I wouldn't be surprised if it was some punks on the island for the free day at the grand prix.

Maybe THIS will prompt the city to put alarms on its property. [[A much better usage of my tax dollars than the removal of an orchard.)

That news just makes me feel so sad.....

The Friends of the Belle Isle Aquarium have worked too hard toward their goal of reopening the Aquarium so that our children and grandchildren can enjoy what we and generations before us have enjoyed for over 100 years!!!

We are thinking of you all and know that however bad we feel....you feel 100 times worse!!

Jesus Christ I hate it here. How fucking depressing.

Make the f__ck_rs drink the rest of the bottle and see how they like it.

Quote Originally Posted by LEOQUEEN View Post
    Make the f__ck_rs drink the rest of the bottle and see how they like it.
    That would be a waste of the bleach.

I just say we let mete out some community justice. Everyone attending would be able to get a tube sock, fill it with a solid bar of soap and flog these bastards. Not only were the fish totally innocent in all of this but this also stabs at the heart of the people who put in so much effort to resurrect this gem.

This act of vandalism hurts on so many levels.

Smogboy, you are too kind. Just imagine the bleach burning their throat, getting to the guts, watching them writhe around. And they would have fear, terror, from the anticipation of the destruction of their gastro-intestinal tract. THEN comes the tube sock with the solid bar of soap, studded with nails.

Now THAT'S some punishment for these fiends. The poor poor fish didnt know what was happening to them. And Gramps could survive 30 years, then go through this.

Who would want to see the Aquarium fail? Your average everyday riffraff or hoodrat off the street would not take the time to break into an Aquarium if there is nothing valuable to take and sell. This sounds like someone is against Penske and others who wanted to bring the island back to it's greatness. Install hidden cameras through out the Aquarium and the island. I would love to see the Aquarium do well. I would also love to see a Disney store of something like it on the island.

As I suspected, the bleach seems to have been some bleach that was there for cleaning purposes. Oddly, there is apparently no sign of forced entry. I didn't see the news report, but supposedly the volunteer interviewed was holding the bleach, so there goes the crime scene investigation...

I dropped by the aquarium yesterday, but it had just closed. As I was leaving a man came up with three young kids who were very excited. I told him to use the side door & have the kids act really disappointed if they said no. I hope the kids got to see the fish. That's what it's really about... making kids happy.

Is there money to get more fishes to the Aquarium quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Is there money to get more fishes to the Aquarium quickly?
    No. No there is not. There are still fish there... but the money isn't even there to fix the roof. It was leaking on Thursday night... [[insert story how the former Mayor, who closed it didn't want the government grant)

Yeah I was looking forward to going to the opening. This was a cruel and mean act.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    No. No there is not. There are still fish there... but the money isn't even there to fix the roof. It was leaking on Thursday night... [[insert story how the former Mayor, who closed it didn't want the government grant)

Most likely done by some teenagers. The same kind of teenagers that think it's fun to slash tires on school buses.

Since it's probably just teenagers, I can't co-sign for having them ingest bleach. I would however get them some psychiatric attention before they turn into the next wave of serial kilers. Can't trust anyone who thinks it's fun to kill living things.

Default Age is no excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Most likely done by some teenagers. The same kind of teenagers that think it's fun to slash tires on school buses.

Since it's probably just teenagers, I can't co-sign for having them ingest bleach. I would however get them some psychiatric attention before they turn into the next wave of serial kilers. Can't trust anyone who thinks it's fun to kill living things.
    The pricks should be taken out of the gene pool. The killing of innocent animals should not be tolerated. Feed them the bleach. They are an indicator of where this city is and need to be cleaned out. It won't work with this much evil around.If it's kids where were the parents when they were supposed to learn the difference between right and wrong. Please don't let them breed. Sorry. Just an angry rant.

In addition to being awful, this just seems so senseless. Senseless because it was a planned act with no possible benefit to the criminal. Hope they catch the criminal and treat him the way he treated the fish.

My God...when will the insanity end? What will it take? Just when you think these "people" have hit an all time low...they take it to another level. Every day there is another story of some crime that a "normal" person could never dream of committing. Yet, a slap on the wrist will be the punishment...because, I'm sure they are "good boys" and never cause problems. God have mercy on them. Actually, God have mercy on all of us...we need it.

No one has a clue who did this, or where they hailed from, or whether they were boys, girls, men or women. There are lots of visitors on the island this weekend.

Unfortunately, my dismay at people advocating killing a human being over tilapia and catfish [[which many of us eat by the way) has now overshadowed my initial dismay over who would commit such a depraved act.

And its not an all time low. Peruse the news for the past few weeks and tell me this even comes close to cannibalism, infanticide, killing family with a baseball bat, and any of a number of atrocities committed by man against man.

I wish human beings could learn to control both their violent depraved behavior and their violent and depraved responses to violent and depraved behavior.

It's my pleasure to update this story:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...text|FRONTPAGE

Apparently ONE tank and SIX fish died. Apparently that happens quite often. They were able to save all of the other fish in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    It's my pleasure to update this story:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...text|FRONTPAGE

Apparently ONE tank and SIX fish died. Apparently that happens quite often. They were able to save all of the other fish in the tank.
    Also, contrary to initial reports, it wasn't an act of vandalism.

You're right. Advocating violence against someone who killed fish is going overboard.

The reason there is so much overreaction here isn't because some fish were killed. It is because so much is going into trying to do something good, and it all could go down the drain thanks to someone who thought pouring some bleach in a fish tank would be fun. It's not fun. This person may have killed the joy of children and adults alike. It's disgusting.

My God! People are nuts. Now we have fishes sleeping with the fishes due to some idiots.

What would motivate an inside job? Was there a sign of a break-in? Could it be the rec department mad that funding is coming from volunteers, non-profits, and contributions?

Hmm links don't work. Freep tells a different story:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...m-Detroit-fish
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-02-12 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast