Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroiters will get their say on legalizing recreational marijuana use.

I'm all for legalizing and taxing the hell out of marijuana, but the last thing we need are more weed heads in this city, at least right now.

What is a "weed head," and why would putting this on the ballot affect the number of them?

It will never be legalized. Its such a great little earner for the Justice Dept., Police and Probationers. The greatest amount of money is extracted from those that can least afford it. I'm sure the Courts want it to go on so they can milk the "poor" and perpetuate their jobs. [[just an opinion).

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm all for legalizing and taxing the hell out of marijuana, but the last thing we need are more weed heads in this city, at least right now.
    Please elaborate, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say.

More "weed heads" would probably be a good thing. Mellow everyone out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    What is a "weed head," and why would putting this on the ballot affect the number of them?
    I probably should elaborate on my post.

Passivity is the main effects of Marijuana. While Passivity in itself would actually lower the chance of that person committing a crime, passivity is the sympton of reduced cognitive activity. In effect, the smokers tend not to think things through as well as they would if they weren't under the influence of Marijuana. Thus, people under the influence of it, who were already inclined to commit a crime in the first place, may be more likely to commit the crime under the influence of Marijuana as they'll likely be quite passive about the consequences.

How does that relate to what's happening here in Detroit? Well see the incidnts that we read about recently in the news, about the guys shooting over the Kool-Aid or the guy gunning down another guy on the riverwalk for "disrespecting his girlfriend. Those incidents just aren't normal incidents. No person in their right mind would shoot into a crowd of people over some "disrespect" or shoot anyone over Kool-Aid. Thing is I bet those guys were also under the influence of weed. They were already quite angry and frustrated over the fact that things didn't go their way, and they reacted accordingly to those feelings. The problem is they didn't take the time to comtemplate the consequences of their actions, in fact they were quite passive about the reprecussionss, as long as they retaliated.

FAct of th matter is the city of Detroit right now is filled with a lot of angry and frustrated people. Thus, and it is human nature, a lot of Detroiters have the inclination to do rather rash things. Now one can say there are those who are already getting hold to the weed and smoking the weed anyway. That may be true. The problem is by legalizing it, you're allowing more people, who probably didn't smoke it as often due to legal barriers, to have legal accees to it and smoke it more often. I'm not saying if all the citizens of Detroit who are angry and frustrated started smoking weed that they will become criminals. But the effcts of marijuana, the passivity, only aids the inclination for those who want to commit crimes, or even hurt another person legally, to do so as they're passive about their actions and will no longer think the consequencs through before they commit the crimes.

I'm all for the legalization of it at the federal level of course, namely because the governmnt doesn't need to be wasting billions of dollars arresting people while our major cities are on the verge of bankruptcy. I also endorse the right of citizens to be abl to CHOOS to msok it. However, that doesn't mean I actually endorse the smoking of it.

I'm all for the legalization of it at the federal level of course, namely because the governmnt doesn't need to be wasting billions of dollars arresting people while our major cities are on the verge of bankruptcy. I also endorse the right of citizens to be abl to CHOOS to msok it. However, that doesn't mean I actually endorse the smoking of it.
    - I agree with the passivity.
    - I am a skeptic on the violence...it's been my experience that people who are high are less likely to be violent because they usually don't get really angry. That said, my sample size is somewhat low and made up of people who tend not to be violent to begin with.
    - I do agree that police should not be wasting their time on this.
    - I am ok with the legalization of marijuna at both the city and federal level.
    - I stop short of endorsing its safety for consumption.

CTY for Mayor
    - "It's all my fault!"

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    - I agree with the passivity.
    - I am a skeptic on the violence...it's been my experience that people who are high are less likely to be violent because they usually don't get really angry. That said, my sample size is somewhat low and made up of people who tend not to be violent to begin with.
    To sum up my point and post, the passivity effects of Maijuana can lead on to commit negative actions [[not neccessraily "violent" or even "criminal" actions) as passive people tend not to think their actions through, especially when their cognitive abilities have been "mellowed down." This is namely true when said person already has an inclination to commit seid negative actions in the first place, due to negative feelings about a situation [[for example, your statement about Detroiters possibly having an anger managment problem).

I'm not saying at all Marijuana smoking leads to violence.

This is namely true when said person already has an inclination to commit seid negative actions in the first place, due to negative feelings about a situation [[for example, your statement about Detroiters possibly having an anger managment problem).
    Ok, I see what you're saying. Hm. Food for thought...like I said, my experience with marijuana users is a sample of people who don't have a lot of pent-up anger to begin with.

I'm curious to see what more data show...for me it's not an ideological question of civil liberties...it's a cost/benefit question for the city and its resources.

mj legalization in Detroit needs to come with some oversight.

regardless. Doesn't matter as much with DPD. Wayne county is
    the one that will impound your car and hold it ransom for thousand
    or more and auction it in a week

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    mj legalization in Detroit needs to come with some oversight.

Sounds like a tough job, but I volunteer.

Pass that shit...don't bogart.

Occurrence Guest

Those incidents just aren't normal incidents. No person in their right mind would shoot into a crowd of people over some "disrespect" or shoot anyone over Kool-Aid. Thing is I bet those guys were also under the influence of weed.
    Ummm, do you have a source to back this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Ummm, do you have a source to back this up?
    LOL, yeah...Reefer Madness.

Haven't you SEEN it?!

Those...boys...just go CRAZY when they're high.

Watch your daughters, too.

SMH, with a huge grin...

Geez, never knew it's official name was, "Tell Your Children".

Talk about propaganda.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028346/

Here's the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FATzmzxJ-84&feature=gv
    Last edited by Gannon; June-02-12 at 09:00 PM.

The nice thing about the internet is that it encourages overconfident folks to expose themselves so that everyone else can then know who to ignore.

I used to love watching the really old SNL skits with... "another Marijuana related death"...

I probably should elaborate on my post.

Passivity is the main effects of Marijuana. While Passivity in itself would actually lower the chance of that person committing a crime, passivity is the sympton of reduced cognitive activity.
    I know dozens of PhD's, a few doctors, three chess grandmasters, numerous productive musicians, writers and other artists, a bunch of lawyers. All very successful, very productive, and regular pot smokers. the only effects that have been shown scientifically are alterations in time perception, episodic short term memory [[one of the later studies actually showed improvement in other memory functions) and an actual improvement in creative problem solving

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I know dozens of PhD's, a few doctors, three chess grandmasters, numerous productive musicians, writers and other artists, a bunch of lawyers. All very successful, very productive, and regular pot smokers. the only effects that have been shown scientifically are alterations in time perception, episodic short term memory [[one of the later studies actually showed improvement in other memory functions) and an actual improvement in creative problem solving
    Right, but 313WX isn't saying that marijuana causes anger or violence...only that if one is already pre-disposed toward anger and/or violence, marijuana will take away the inhibitions of the substance user because of their inability to connect cause and effect.

I'm not sure this is necessarily true...but if it is true, then having a bunch of doctor smoking weed won't bring you the same result as a bunch of kids in a gang smoking weed.

There is more money to be made from legalization, taxation, and acceptance than there is from busting "the poor"...face it, how much money can you get from the "poor'. Ahhhh, a nation founded by puritans....

Quote Originally Posted by Radiogoon View Post
    There is more money to be made from legalization, taxation, and acceptance than there is from busting "the poor"...face it, how much money can you get from the "poor'. Ahhhh, a nation founded by puritans....
    a nation founded by people so uptight even the Brits kicked the out

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I know dozens of PhD's, a few doctors, three chess grandmasters, numerous productive musicians, writers and other artists, a bunch of lawyers. All very successful, very productive...
    ...and since it's so current, let's not forget Michael Phelps record-setting winner of 22 Olympic medals.

out of the stone age into the stoner age?

Passivity is the main effects of Marijuana. While Passivity in itself would actually lower the chance of that person committing a crime, passivity is the sympton of reduced cognitive activity. In effect, the smokers tend not to think things through as well as they would if they weren't under the influence of Marijuana. Thus, people under the influence of it, who were already inclined to commit a crime in the first place, may be more likely to commit the crime under the influence of Marijuana as they'll likely be quite passive about the consequences.
    But if it makes you passive, you're less likely to commit a crime.

Then you bring up people already inclined to commit a crime, and ... since it impairs cognitive ability, chances are you forget the gun and can't commit the crime.

I usually agree with you 313WX, but on this I just can't follow you. Maybe you just haven't smoked pot.

I must say, though, that this line of reasoning reminds me a bit of some of the disturbing arguments middle-class drinkers made in favor of Prohibition when it was law of the land. You know: That we responsible middle-class people can have a pitcher of martinis at our private party in our homes, of course, but you understand it turns those other people into savages, so the noble experiment must continue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast