Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Channel 9 Wiindsor/CBC is not airing summer olympics

I was at the free Prix day on Friday and saw that the CTV station van [[out of Windsor) was advertising there coverage of the London Olympics. Dos any one else regret that channel 9/CBC is not airing the Olympics? One of the perks of living in a border city was CBC's coverage of the games.
    Does anyone get the CTV station on their cabel system in America, and why is Channel 9 the only Windsor or Ontario station that shown on Wowway cable?

I used to enjoy the CBC coverage much more than NBC. There was a lot less human interest and greater variety of sports televised. I miss it.

Guess I won't be watching. NBC is just waaaaay too much fluff.

Nope, no CTV on Comcast in Bloomfield Township, which I'm going to bet means no CTV anywhere on Comcast.

NBC Olympic coverage is pretty much worthless. Too much fluff, too much focus on a few sports in which Americans might do well. In the winter it's all figure skating all the time. Too much focus on American performances [["here's the American downhill skier on her run. Now back to the figure skating. You didn't want to see those foreigners ski, did you?") Too much blaming a poor American result on "oh, tough luck", or "oh, terrible judges", or "oh, terrible officiating" [[not that the last two are unknown at the Olympics).

In my experience, the CBC, while it focuses on sports where Canadians will do well and on Canadian athletes, shows a wider variety of sports and is more likely to show the entire event. In the event of a bad performance by Canadians, they're way more likely to call it a bad performance.

I moved to Japan not long before the '94 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, and Japanese TV had some really wild coverage. One day, they decided to show an entire biathlon event. Kind of tedious, but kind of fascinating that they would do that. This, mind you, in a country where the stations will set aside a 2 1/2 or 3 hour block of time for a baseball game, and if the game isn't over they'll still end the coverage. "Bottom of the 9th, Tigers down by one, Tigers have the bases loaded with Cabrera coming up to bat. Oops, time to go, see you. Bye."

Seems to be plenty of online coverage via this:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html

I plan on watching most of the Olympics this way anyway. No schedule yet, but it will be better than watching the CBC or CTV broadcasts.

Speaking of CTV, they seem to have a "watch now" button on their website. Doesn't do anything, yet.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/

You should be able to catch CTV Windsor OTA on channel 26.1

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Nope, no CTV on Comcast in Bloomfield Township, which I'm going to bet means no CTV anywhere on Comcast....
    CTV is on Comcast channel 900 in Shelby Twp. They're showing women's Lacrosse at the moment.

There's also at least one channel labeled "local" that shows Deutsche Welle from Germany. Go figure.

Television is so confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    CTV is on Comcast channel 900 in Shelby Twp. They're showing women's Lacrosse at the moment.

There's also at least one channel labeled "local" that shows Deutsche Welle from Germany. Go figure.

Television is so confusing.
    I think you may be confused. Generally, unless Shelby is different than all the rest of the Comcast areas around here, channel 900 is Comcast Local, NOT CTV from Canada. CTV isn't broadcast in the US, as far as I know, and unless you can get it over the air, NBC is going to be your only bet for Olympic coverage on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigersfan View Post
    I think you may be confused....
    A sincere thank you for replying, Tigersfan.

When I pressed "900" on an unhacked Comcast-supplied remote control here in Shelby Twp., a textual "CTV" momentarily appeared in the corner of the screen. Then the women's Lacrosse game appeared. [[How Canadian can you get?)

When I go the the Comcast website to get a channel list for my address and zip code, channel 900 appears as "Comcast Television ^"

So now I think the "C" in the CTV I saw stood for "Comcast" instead of "Canada" or "Canadian."

TLA ambiguity should be abolished! [[But probably won't.)

Quote Originally Posted by cpanagio View Post
    You should be able to catch CTV Windsor OTA on channel 26.1
    That's CTV Two, not CTV.

If they do the same thing as during 2010, CTV's regular programming will air on CTV Two. So at most, you'll see some odd Olympics highlights during the news.

The closest actual CTV transmitter is outside Sarnia. 42, Digital 27.1
    Last edited by yupislyr; June-04-12 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Seems to be plenty of online coverage via this:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html

I plan on watching most of the Olympics this way anyway. No schedule yet, but it will be better than watching the CBC or CTV broadcasts.

Speaking of CTV, they seem to have a "watch now" button on their website. Doesn't do anything, yet.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/
    I highly recommend watching online. I watched all of the 2010 Olympics via ctvolympics.ca

You can watch everything in quite high quality and in realtime, or later on demand.

The best feature I liked was that they had raw feeds of almost all the events. Just live audio and video from the event. No commentators.

CTVolympics.ca will be useless to you unless you have access to a Canadian proxy or VPN though. You have to access it from a Canadian IP.

CBC announces return of Olympics for 2014 and beyond. Welcome back.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4454231/