Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New York City Mayor want's prohibition on 16 ounce softdrinks!

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is proposing to ban all 16oz. softdrink containers from any all of its entertainment venues. His plan to slow down obesity and urger New Yorkers to get healthy. Can city, county and federal governments put laws on the way we eat and drink? Some critics and corporate soft drink companies like Pespi said that putting a ban of 16oz softdrinks could lose their profits. What do you think about matter.

Occurrence Guest

I think this is embarassing and New Yorkers should be gathering in masses to throw rocks and batteries at their idiot Mayor for even suggesting doing such a thing.

State and local governments do have such rights. Consider their regulation of alcohol and tobacco. Inspectors regulate food from slaughter to restaurant hygiene. Schools don't usually allow pop at all during the school day. That said, they sometimes go overboard hampering the distribution of food to the poor, closing down kids' lemonade stands, or sending armed police to shut down food coops or Amish farmers selling raw milk to neighbors.

I think it's sad it's come to this point. The fact that Americans in general cannot take care of themselves. No one understands consumption in moderation or daily exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    State and local governments do have such rights. Consider their regulation of alcohol and tobacco. Inspectors regulate food from slaughter to restaurant hygiene. Schools don't usually allow pop at all during the school day. That said, they sometimes go overboard hampering the distribution of food to the poor, closing down kids' lemonade stands, or sending armed police to shut down food coops or Amish farmers selling raw milk to neighbors.
    I keep telling people that they have more to fear from state government controlling their lives than federal government. But people seem to think its okay for their state to tell them what to eat, but not okay for the federal government to insist they have healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I keep telling people that they have more to fear from state government controlling their lives than federal government. But people seem to think its okay for their state to tell them what to eat, but not okay for the federal government to insist they have healthcare.
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." -US Constitution

Vermont is trying to establish its own single payer health care plan like that of any Canadian province. What's your problem with that? None of this restricts government from regulating the size of beverages or having a health care program; only which government does what. Another option is to amend the Constitution to allow federal control of slurpees or health care management. That's how Democrats brought us the income tax.

An aside: My Aunt related that as a 11-12 year old girl, her mother would give her a quarter to go to a nearby German family tavern on or near St. Jean in Detroit and buy cool beer for when her father came home from work. Think of all the state laws that would prevent that from happening today. The goalposts have been moved to where we now debate how much pop can be sold in one cup. Never mind that we can buy a case of pop and drink one can after the other.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I think it's sad it's come to this point. The fact that Americans in general cannot take care of themselves. No one understands consumption in moderation or daily exercise.
    I do agree but its not quite that simple. High fructose corn syrup is probably the worst kind of sugar we can put in our bodies yet most processed food is sweeten by it. The effects that it has on our bodies can go from obesity to diabetes to nothing at all. Like some people can develop lung cancer from smoking or in some cases nothing at all. Our bodies are all different. The difference is it is hard not to eat something that doesn't have HFCS in it.

Maybe we stick a warning on the big gulp and let people decide for themselves.

I know fat people....They'll just buy two.

buy two, pay twice as much sales tax. cause thats what its really all about....

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    High fructose corn syrup is probably the worst kind of sugar we can put in our bodies yet most processed food is sweeten by it. The effects that it has on our bodies can go from obesity to diabetes to nothing at all.
    Most bodies store HFCS in the fat cells, which made sense when we had to endure periods of lower food availability through winter

I do agree but its not quite that simple. High fructose corn syrup is probably the worst kind of sugar we can put in our bodies yet most processed food is sweeten by it. The effects that it has on our bodies can go from obesity to diabetes to nothing at all. Like some people can develop lung cancer from smoking or in some cases nothing at all. Our bodies are all different. The difference is it is hard not to eat something that doesn't have HFCS in it.

Maybe we stick a warning on the big gulp and let people decide for themselves.
    How you derived that from my post I'm not sure. I just said too much of a bad thing is never good.

But to play fair, I read your post and checked my fridge. None of the beverages contain HFCS. Milk, orange juice, low sugar lemonade I bought from Chic-fil-A, and water. So apparently it IS easy to avoid HFCS in beverages unless you are totally reliant on pop. I'm sure my cupboards are a different story, but since this topic is about drinks, I'm keeping it to that.

Pop is okay once and awhile....but as I already said moderation is key.

The first time I read the title, I thought it said 16 Ounce Steaks. I was hungry

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    How you derived that from my post I'm not sure. I just said too much of a bad thing is never good.

But to play fair, I read your post and checked my fridge. None of the beverages contain HFCS. Milk, orange juice, low sugar lemonade I bought from Chic-fil-A, and water. So apparently it IS easy to avoid HFCS in beverages unless you are totally reliant on pop. I'm sure my cupboards are a different story, but since this topic is about drinks, I'm keeping it to that.

Pop is okay once and awhile....but as I already said moderation is key.
    I understood that you meant moderation, I was trying to get to the point [[probably not very well) that moderation is a tough thing to measure especially if your body is predisposed to obesity or diabetes and your body craves that kind of sugar. And you are probably consuming much to much on a daily basis, a good chance that it is unknowingly.

It seems like you are a very good shopper, however many lower income people in trying to cut cost on there food bill tend to buy products loaded with HFCS because its a cheap sweetener. I believe thats why you see so many lower income folks that are obese.

But back to the softdrinks HFCS is probably the second or third item on the label which lets you kinow there's a high percentage of that stuff in our soft drinks.

It seems like you are a very good shopper, however many lower income people in trying to cut cost on there food bill tend to buy products loaded with HFCS because its a cheap sweetener. I believe thats why you see so many lower income folks that are obese.
    High fructose corn syrup is only cheaper than sugar because the federal government subsidizes the hell out of corn production. It's also the reason you can get a McDonald's double cheeseburger for a dollar.

Maybe if we stopped subsidizing the lab-invented zombie food, we'd all start to look like real people again.

Then, of course, there's the sheer idiocy of consumers. People will pay $1.50 or $2 for a soda, but balk at paying $3 for a dozen organic cage-free eggs.

If you want a government to pay for your health care, then you have to expect that government to regulate not only the provision of your health care but anything else you do or not do that may affect your health care.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    If you want a government to pay for your health care, then you have to expect that government to regulate not only the provision of your health care but anything else you do or not do that may affect your health care.

Uh, what??? Government doesn't pay for healthcare in the United States...unless you're elderly or a veteran. But since you've read the 50,000 threads on that topic, you already knew that.

With that said, what benefits are derived from selling 44 oz. buckets of soda?

New Yorkers should be furious. If you want to be an unhealthy 400lb fat person, and you can afford to eat that much it's your right. If you make pop, you should be able to sell it in any size you want. I thought we lived in a free country?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    High fructose corn syrup is only cheaper than sugar because the federal government subsidizes the hell out of corn production. It's also the reason you can get a McDonald's double cheeseburger for a dollar.

Maybe if we stopped subsidizing the lab-invented zombie food, we'd all start to look like real people again.
    Bingo!! I only wish !! But wait... What will happen to the multi-billion dollar weight reduction industry if there were no obese people

Uh, what??? Government doesn't pay for healthcare in the United States...unless you're elderly or a veteran. But since you've read the 50,000 threads on that topic, you already knew that.

With that said, what benefits are derived from selling 44 oz. buckets of soda?
    Last numbers I saw, 15-17% of the population have Medicare and another 16-18% have Medicaid. Add to that the 6-8% that are governmental employees of all types, and you're near 40% of the population. With an aging population and the criteria for Medicaid coverage being loosened so more and more people become eligible, that number will only increase.

The benefits if a 44 oz.? Doesn't matter. If a government can say you can't buy a 44 oz drink, then it can say you can't buy 2 - 24 oz. drinks, 3 - 16 oz. or 4 - 12 oz. drinks. From my perspective, I am not prepared to give the government the power to determine what size product I can eat drink or eat.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    The benefits if a 44 oz.? Doesn't matter. If a government can say you can't buy a 44 oz drink, then it can say you can't buy 2 - 24 oz. drinks, 3 - 16 oz. or 4 - 12 oz. drinks. From my perspective, I am not prepared to give the government the power to determine what size product I can eat drink or eat.
    So what about horsemeat? Why are you not going on a tirade about horsemeat too?

Oh, I know. Because what the local government in New York City does affects you in some magical way. Funny how you right-wingers always talk about "local control". But as soon as a local government somewhere on God's Green Earth does the first thing you don't like, you piss and moan about it like a child.

Want to drink a 44 oz soda? Don't live in New York City. It's that simple.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I thought we lived in a free country?
    It's a bummer when you get to an age when realize we don't live in a free country at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    It's a bummer when you get to an age when realize we don't live in a free country at all.
    You are correct, and I'm at that age. I remember when I was young and stupid and thought that we really could do what we wanted here

So what about horsemeat? Why are you not going on a tirade about horsemeat too?

Oh, I know. Because what the local government in New York City does affects you in some magical way. Funny how you right-wingers always talk about "local control". But as soon as a local government somewhere on God's Green Earth does the first thing you don't like, you piss and moan about it like a child.

Want to drink a 44 oz soda? Don't live in New York City. It's that simple.
    So you like people telling you what you can and cannot do?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    So you like people telling you what you can and cannot do?
    I could care less. I don't live in New York City.

Unlike you, I don't go around speaking in platitudes about "freedom", then in the same breath, tell the City of New York what they are free and not free to do. If the people of New York don't like it, they are FREE to elect a new mayor and council.

This bullying shit and pretend anarchism are getting real old, man. I'm sure your local government has laws and regulations too. Do you ignore those if they don't agree with your personal definition of "freedom"?

If your life is so horrible here in the good ole US of A, go spend some time abroad. Hell--there are countries who have loudspeakers mounted on telephone poles where they blare propaganda beginning at 6 AM. How's that for "telling you what to do"? If you were to complain about it, as you are here, you'd be thrown in jail as an enemy of the state. But I'm sure as soon as you say "freedom", they'll be nice and let you go, with a lollipop to boot.

And get some hobbies that don't involve complaining about every damned thing. Your life isn't so awful.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; June-06-12 at 08:03 AM.

Congratulations GP, you've resurrected the same attitude that brought us "America,Love It or Leave It." Although, I expect that 40 years ago you would have criticized it [[or, given your style, cursed and personally disparaged the one saying it).

BTW, I have no problem with horse meat, I don't like it but others might.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast