Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Fried Chicken in Town?

Is there anyplace on the west side of town that serves a good fried chicken dinner?
    I'm not talking KFC or Popeyes either.
    Deadwood Grill in Northville had a great one years ago but it is off the menu now.
    Thanks.

Guernsey's on Novi Rd. in Northville has great fried chicken. Don't leave without trying the ice cream!

Isn't Guernsey's broasted, not fried? Whichever, it is delicious. It is hard to save room for ice cream, but it must be done!

Yes you are right they do call it Broasted but technically the Colonel would be too.

There's a distinct difference between broasted and fried chicken. Fried chicken has a greasy taste and you can only fry one sid at once. Broasted chicken fries all the sides at once using a pressure cooker, trapping more moisture into the chicken.

Broasted chicken also doesn't have that crispy/breaded coating on it you typically associate with fried chicken.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-01-12 at 03:55 PM.

Pollo Chapin on Junction just N of Vernor.

I’ve always liked Chicken King for carry out, even the ribs are good – I think they have a Farmington/Farmington Hills Location.

Mr Chicken in Redford on Plymouth Rd is very good.

Mr. Chicken too, is Broasted. I do consider broasted chicken a type of fried chicken myself.

How about in the city? Every place listed would cost more to drive to from downtown than the actual meal?

imo the guernsey restaurant has lost quality over the years. its like a big boys now.

unfortunately, broasted chicken around town has dropped too. they keep undercooking it for some reason. always ask for 'well done' and keep getting pink chicken.

superduperman Guest

Captain Jays over on greenfield has the best lemon pepper chicken wings hands down. Every person I take someone there they become a loyal customer,check them out definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    How about in the city? Every place listed would cost more to drive to from downtown than the actual meal?
    Well there are the McNuggets at the McDonalds at the RenCen. ......

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Fried chicken has a greasy taste and you can only fry one sid at once.
    Why can you only fry chicken one side at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    Why can you only fry chicken one side at a time?
    That's a good question. However, the best fried chicken dinner can be found at Southern Fires. For about $10.00 you can get either 4 wings, two thighs and two drumsticks, or a breast and wing) two or three side dishes and cornbread. They bring you a carryout with your food because I guess they assume you will not be able to eat everything. Caution: Stay away from the Sweet Tea. If you're not diabetic you will be after you drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    That's a good question. However, the best fried chicken dinner can be found at Southern Fires. For about $10.00 you can get either 4 wings, two thighs and two drumsticks, or a breast and wing) two or three side dishes and cornbread. They bring you a carryout with your food because I guess they assume you will not be able to eat everything. Caution: Stay away from the Sweet Tea. If you're not diabetic you will be after you drink it.
    I was going to suggest Southern Fires, but the OP asked for a place on the westside.

Flavor Flav promises a chicken & ribs restaurant on 15 & Van Dyke, with some local developers.. http://tinyurl.com/6rcoy8w

We had a best of Fried Chicken thread here last year - perhaps some ideas can be gleaned from that:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...e-Detroit-area

There's Alabama style chicken inside the store on E. Jefferson by the shorecrest inn, next to the new credit union. Very good IMO. Then there's Mr. Mikes on Woodward, its a bar but they do carryout. Then there's Steve soul food II. Google all for directions. All Do chicken right.

I gotta go with Bishr Poultry on Conant & Carpenter on the Hamtramck border. We simply refer to it as "the Chicken Place" It's a little Yemeni run grocery/butcher/carry-out with a major following. The butcher supplies many different restaurants @ the metro area. The grocery features a small selection of middle eastern fare, and a full line up of spices.

The fried chicken behind the counter is fantastic. They are fresh [[slaughtered each morning on site), and 65 cents a piece, I haven't touched KFC in over a decade, only been to Chicken Shack in Hamtramck a couple times. The broasted chickens come with a lemon wedge, garlic clove and a jalapeno inside and cost $5.50. There is also a vegetable stew, vegetarian or meat, basmati or yellow rice, fish [[from the distributer across the street), lamb, samosas, chicken balls [[with vegetables rolled in), french fries, etc......

Under $5 usually gets me 4 pc chicken, rice with vegetables and a samosa. And enough for dinner.

Carry-out only, pre-order for large orders [[over 10 people), closed Friday during mosque, [[re-opens around 1pm to a large crowd). Most cooking is done on demand, [[meaning sometimes you may get there are have to wait 10 minutes for the next batch because someone just cleaned them out). Most the time I'm out in under two minutes. They are usually done cooking after 5:30-6 pm.

OK, I realize I'm a bit off target here, but I just wanted to mention this place since it's somewhat on subject . If you find yourself on a roadtrip Port Huron way, give this a try . A treat for the eyes as well as the palate .

http://palmskrystal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    There's Alabama style chicken inside the store on E. Jefferson by the shorecrest inn, next to the new credit union. Very good IMO. Then there's Mr. Mikes on Woodward, its a bar but they do carryout. Then there's Steve soul food II. Google all for directions. All Do chicken right.
    You mean with white barbecue sauce?

Stromberg2

Oh! I must try this out very, very soon! I hate KFC... just don't like the recipe and after taste of that fast food mash. If I am going to indulge in fried once ina while I want it good and fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I gotta go with Bishr Poultry on Conant & Carpenter on the Hamtramck border. We simply refer to it as "the Chicken Place" It's a little Yemeni run grocery/butcher/carry-out with a major following. The butcher supplies many different restaurants @ the metro area. The grocery features a small selection of middle eastern fare, and a full line up of spices.

The fried chicken behind the counter is fantastic. They are fresh [[slaughtered each morning on site), and 65 cents a piece, I haven't touched KFC in over a decade, only been to Chicken Shack in Hamtramck a couple times. The broasted chickens come with a lemon wedge, garlic clove and a jalapeno inside and cost $5.50. There is also a vegetable stew, vegetarian or meat, basmati or yellow rice, fish [[from the distributer across the street), lamb, samosas, chicken balls [[with vegetables rolled in), french fries, etc......

Under $5 usually gets me 4 pc chicken, rice with vegetables and a samosa. And enough for dinner.

Like dipping hot wings in horseradish sauce Strommy? ROTFL!!

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    You mean with white barbecue sauce?

Stromberg2

Yep, It's a mayo-based sauce with horseradish, cayenne, lemon juice, cider vinegar and some other spices. It's very good! Made famous at Big Bob Gibsons in Decatur, Alabama. Yeah, I know way too much.

Stromberg2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast