Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chene and Lafayette area getting worse...

Robbery Turns Deadly in Detroit Neighborhood

One Man Killed, Another Badly Beaten

I've heard not too far from this area to be 'walkable' by some but I'd not do it! Town Square Coop and Martin L. King Apartments getting crazy... A friend is moving out asap. Per the news story a string of violence is occuring in the St. Aubin at East Larned and Chene and Lafayette area. Anyone live in this area?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...t-neighborhood
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-30-12 at 11:06 AM.

I used to work in that area, near jefferson chevrolet. Since I was working, I never got the chance to "mingle" in the residential areas. I never "hung out" after dark, other than going to chene park concerts.. afterwards I walk to my car and leave..

When security in that area is gone, so will the people. The mad max mentality continues in Detroit. Every Road Warrior for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Robbery Turns Deadly in Detroit Neighborhood

One Man Killed, Another Badly Beaten

I've heard not too far from this area to be 'walkable' by some but I'd not do it! Town Square Coop and Martin L. King Apartments getting crazy... A friend is moving out asap. Per the news story a string of violence is occuring in the St. Aubin at East Larned and Chene and Lafayette area. Anyone live in this area?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...t-neighborhood
    I live in this neighborhood and it is certainly walkable...at pretty much all hours of the day/night.

However the MLK Apartments and the liquor store across the street are absolute magnets for trouble, and everyone who lives around here knows it. Definitely places to avoid no matter what time of day.

More police patrols would absolutely help.

Personally, I'd like to see that liquor store shut down or the management step up. Same in the apartments - management needs to step up.

That square of apartments.... Back when i was doing the duffel shuffle i would gets it in at the shopping market right there. This is 10 years ago but still. sketchy vibe. Lots of people outside grouped up just kinda out there.

I have lived in Ralph Bunche Coop [bounded by St.Maron, Larned, Chene, Lafayette] since 1992. We moved here after our daughter was born because where we were living then, in the WSU area at Beaubien and I-94...it was NOT the place to raise a kid. RBC is right in the next block from the Family Fair Food complex, which includes that now infamous liquor store, and right across the street from MLK apartments. We stopped going to the grocery store when Farmer Jack vacated it; and stopped going to that party store when my husband was accosted there.

I feel okay going anywhere in the neighborhood WITH THE EXCEPTION of those stores or in the vicinity of MLK apartments. I used to power walk around the large block extending to the western boundary of MLK, but changed my course permanently when a pitbull on a too-long chain chased me before i realized it was tethered. As far as I am concerned a sink-hole can come through there and swallow up both the little strip mall and MLK. This pains me to say this, because I know that there are lots of people victimized within this area....but it happened a few years ago when the 'sink hole' swallowed up the senior citizens area that was directly across from the Lafayette Park Market. Why did *they* have to go?

Maybe the 'sink hole' can identify for destruction only the particular conscienceless freaks who live in MLK who prey on the helpless. Or maybe the city could put some police on the beat there. I'm sure they could spare a few.....I saw several pairs of cops walking beat in Campus Martius on the way home this evening.

I live just a couple blocks from here. The MLK apartments are largely a planning disaster. The "superblock" that they are contained in cuts off everything, leaving everything but the outermost buildings visible. I have cut through when walking and it's like another world once you step off the street.

As for the liquor store... just walk past and no matter how much you need ANYTHING, I cannot see any reason for going inside. If it looks like a shithole, it's probably a shithole. Not to mention I highly doubt they offer "state minimum" pricing.