Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Electric Auto - recharging station

A post last week informed us that Detroit architects Mildner and Eisen designed the building at 100 East Grand that is now the home of Pro Arts Studio - a design firm. It was built in 1909 as a charging station for Detroit Electric cars. At that time, did you leave your electric car in the station for the battery to be recharged or did their swap out the dying battery for a live one?
    Thanks. It is interesting to note that the Volt is built less than three miles from this pleasant structure erected 103 years ago to charge batteries in electric vehicles.

Most electric vehicles of the time had battery cells in the front and back compartments so it would make battery exchange very difficult, time consuming and unlikely. So the location was probably for recharging. I have photos of some of the Detroit Electric Cab Company's electric cabs charging at their service facility but I don't know where it was located. Also, power for charging was located streetside at many local hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by redvetred View Post
    Most electric vehicles of the time had battery cells in the front and back compartments so it would make battery exchange very difficult, time consuming and unlikely. So the location was probably for recharging. I have photos of some of the Detroit Electric Cab Company's electric cabs charging at their service facility but I don't know where it was located. Also, power for charging was located streetside at many local hotels.
    Could you post the images?

I believe the answer to the poster's question is that you left the car there for a recharge. It's done that way in every photo I've ever seen of electric vehicle recharging from that era.

Part of the reason for the location of the E. Grand Blvd. charging station is that people could leave their cars there for a recharge while they were out enjoying Belle Isle.

My grandfather, who grew up a block away, swept up and did other little odd jobs there as a kid [[as he did for many businesses in the area, and across Jefferson in Electric Park). He would always point the building out to us as a curiosity when we were on our way to Belle Isle.

I found this image of the viaduct under E. Jefferson under construction. Also shows charging station in the background in the early 1920's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I found this image of the viaduct under E. Jefferson under construction. Also shows charging station in the background in the early 1920's.
    Is it just me or doe's it seem like everything was under construction in Detroit in the 20's and no project was to big?

This is the Detroit Electric Cab Company's recharging and maintenance facility located 42 Randolph Street. I think there is a parking structure located there.Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  37.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Is it just me or doe's it seem like everything was under construction in Detroit in the 20's and no project was to big?
    No, it is not just you. I have noticed that too, especially when I see the Shorpy photos. During the 1920's Detroit was in its ascendency and our parents and grandparents took on EVERYTHING. Today it is totally different. We unable to even maintain what they left for us.

Meanwhile, take a look at the Charging Station of the future:
    http://www.wimp.com/perpetualmotion/