Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Men Caught Dumping Trash in Detroit

On video at least. The perpetrators are still at large but should be traceable. Their open contempt is particularly grinding.

It goes to show that neighborhood action is ultimately the best defense.

Video story at myFoxDetroit.com

Send their asses to prison. Not jail, prison.

Few things get me heated like dumping trash like Detroit is your personal toilet.

I'm going to step out on a limb and guess they don't live in the city. How would they fucking like it if people dump gutted houses and tires on their streets and corners and lots?

jeez. Im going to leave my opinions out of this post and just sum it up with 1 word.
    Disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Send their asses to prison. Not jail, prison.
    What would that accomplish?

Put them on a guarded work detail 10-12 hours a day cleaning up these dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

I'm in favor of this actually.

Along that line of logic, you wouldn't dirty up a place if you have to clean it up.

Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Brilliant.

Throw the book at them and give them a shitload of community service undoing their wrongs!

Hang em in Campus Martius!

If these rejects came back multiple times that means there were plenty of opportunities to turn their own discarded 2x4's into spike strips! If the cops won't show you do what you have to do to protect your neighborhood.

This is when star nails would come in handy. Failing that, roofing nails would make a reasonable substitute if strewn about in good quantity.

A busted-in windshield on a rental truck is a fairly strong message.

Raise the fine to $5000 or $10,000 and impound the vehicle. This would make enforcement profitable to the city and costly to the dumpers.

Where are the carjackers when you need them?

Quote Originally Posted by winstonst View Post
    Raise the fine to $5000 or $10,000 and impound the vehicle. This would make enforcement profitable to the city and costly to the dumpers.
    Unless the dumpers are working for a medium to large sized construction company, I don't think you'd collect a fine like that.

I like the community service option - time to clean up the mess they made + 500% or so.

Do you know how much money it would cost to have these people clean up these mounds of garbage, some of it heavy or contaminated? It's not like handing someone a stick and a bag and have them pick up litter along I-75, which would probably be a better option since the program is already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    On video at least. The perpetrators are still at large but should be traceable. Their open contempt is particularly grinding.

It goes to show that neighborhood action is ultimately the best defense.

Video story at myFoxDetroit.com
    Shouldn't be hard to catch these guys. The Penske vehicle that was used in this case was rented. You need to show I.D. with a credit card to rent it. The licence plate was recorded, so with that info they should know who rented that particular vehicle.
    I'm sure Roger is not amused.

I thought i heard in the video that the truck backed into the lot. I assumed that the neighbors couldn't capture the plate number.

But you are right. The sad irony is that Roger Penske footed the bill for the Downtown Detroit clean-up crews for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Unless the dumpers are working for a medium to large sized construction company, I don't think you'd collect a fine like that.

I like the community service option - time to clean up the mess they made + 500% or so.
    If they don't pay the fine, then you can make their life miserable. The point is there is no downside for these people. Impound the vehicle, garnish wages whatever. You simply don't want them dumping in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by winstonst View Post
    Impound the vehicle, garnish wages whatever.
    What wages?

Maybe we could get these guys to pay for the dumpster we just had to pay $300 for to clean up the shit next to the alley that the COD Office of Administrative Hearings [[Blight Court) tried to fine my assistant $900 for.

A fine and community service are what is needed. I never understood why people would want to pay to keep non-violent people behind bars, when we could make them pay us or work for us instead...

What I don't understand is why go through all the trouble of gathering up all this refuse just to dump it somewhere it doesn't go. Seems to me that this is done just to spit in the face of Detroit - done just to show contempt for Detroit and its citizens. If one has the work ethic to gather up the refuse they can take it to where it goes. They obviously didn't neglect to take this trash to the city dump or other trash collection site due to laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    What I don't understand is why go through all the trouble of gathering up all this refuse just to dump it somewhere it doesn't go. Seems to me that this is done just to spit in the face of Detroit - done just to show contempt for Detroit and its citizens. If one has the work ethic to gather up the refuse they can take it to where it goes. They obviously didn't neglect to take this trash to the city dump or other trash collection site due to laziness.
    There's no charge to dump it on the street, there is a fee at the dump...

They proably did not think twice about dumping the trash just like the scraping,trespassing ,tagging etc .

What are the actual charges one would encounter at the dump?

Perhaps the prices are designed, like the taxes on cigarettes, to discourage it's use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast