Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

1. Default Michigan Film Credit Likely to be Doubled

It looks like there is support for increasing the film credit from $25 to $50 million as it is being proposed by majority Republican Legislators.

Too late for Allen Park I guess.

It is probably good news for metro Detroit as a good share of the spin-off will happen here. Yet I find this sudden largesse by the self-pro-claimed no government faction puzzling.

Why the film industry and, well, not my industry?

Details on Huffpo D article

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Why the film industry and, well, not my industry?
    Yeah, many people argue against loopholes. We've already seen the negative effects that loopholes can create in Allen Park.

I'd rather see simple, concise tax law that is even and fair.

This is good news for metro Detroit . Filming movies and TV shows in Detroit does more for the region . The free publicity is immeasurable and priceless , look what it's done for Atlanta, Vancouver ,North Carolina , NYC , ect .
    This can ONLY be a good thing for the region, IF it is given a chance and helped along in the beginning .
    Look at the flood of movies that were made in just the couple of years they had the credits .
    Maybe not as sweet of a deal , but give them a reason to look at Detroit .

Snyder was a staunch supporter of the pure Michigan campaign because a company had shown that for every dollar spent, 2 came back. yet the same company showed that for every dollar of the MI film credit, 6 came back and he said it wasn't cost effective

wtf? his entire campaign was based on eliminating the film credit and cutting taxes.
    http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...igh-tech-batt/

why is snyder such a flip-flopper? film credits are great .

I guess somebody eventually convinced him it was good for the state. I am sure this will help bring back producers to the region. Good for you Detroit.
    I am thinking of technicians working in film like myself but also rent spaces in the city for arts and crafts, contribute to the community and hone skills for a varied set of circumstances. Detroit needs this community to stay put and invest.

Three cheers for more Hardcore Pawn and Parking Battles on the taxpayers buck !

Damn, the one decision I could agree upon with Governor Snyder and he goes and changes his mind. How about using this money to support Michigan businesses that have to keep some skin in the game after the free money runs out? The tax credits were slashed before and all of these "jobs" were gone as the studios packed up shop and left or were mothballed in hopes that the free money would return. That's proof enough to me that the industry is nothing but a a gold digger that will be gone the moment the money train stops.