Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Seeking Opinions About Amtrak Travel

I'm considering a trip to California from Detroit in a few months via Amtrak I've found more horror stories online than positves. Can anybody relate personal experiences about this mode of travel?

I recently completed a round trip from the south to the upper NE 60 hours one way with layovers.

It was just me but there were families there also ,I would have nothing but positive things to say ,it is what you make of it and I met a lot of interesting people of all walks of life.Everything was pretty much on time and my luggage arrived when I did .

There was a few people on there that were on a cross country trips and had been for months they seemed to be having a good time also.

Things I would do different? Book mid month it seems to be cheaper as the rates vary from day to day,if you are on a budget and by yourself maybe split the time between sleeper car and regular coach to get a few good nights sleep,lots were watching movies and replaying downloaded tv series on tablets to pass the time,also meals and snacks add up fast so if you bring something it will be cheaper.

If you smoke it is a bit inconvenient but smoke break stops are provided so no big deal.If you are not in a hurry its worth it to me anyways,Costs were around $1200 including food but if you get a sleeper meals are included.

The trip was about $300 more then flight but it was well worth it.

What negatives did you hear about?

The only per say negative for me was you always seemed to get somebody that could not handle their alcohol but the conductors kept a handle on things pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

What negatives did you hear about?

The only per say negative for me was you always seemed to get somebody that could not handle their alcohol but the conductors kept a handle on things pretty much.
    The negatives ranged from ticket reservation screw-ups to long delays at transfer points to rude and discourteous agents and conductors. Granted it was a site soliciting Amtrak complaints. Taking food and snacks and water/sodas is a good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    The negatives ranged from ticket reservation screw-ups to long delays at transfer points to rude and discourteous agents and conductors. Granted it was a site soliciting Amtrak complaints. Taking food and snacks and water/sodas is a good tip.
    I had a total of eight transfers both ways no problem ,maybe an hour late at one time.

I booked and payed online and printed the ticket receipt out and exchanged that for the actual ticket on check in , it was pretty easy,they have a nice app also.

I can see sternness confused for rudeness because when you board it is elderly and families first ,some seemed to have a problem with that and tried to get around the procedure so I guess the boarding agents kinda portray a view of rudeness because they were put into that position.

For carry on you can put a bag above the seating and then there is space when you get on to store a small suitcase the rest goes under in the storage compartment loaded by them.