Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fossil Inc. finds a place in Detroit

The founder of Fossil Inc. has picked Detroit as the site for a watch and bicycle manufacturing operation, with hopes that the words "made in Detroit" will make the items more marketable.

Tom Kartsotis, founder of the Richardson, Texas-based watch and accessory company, has signed a 30,000-square-foot lease in the former Argonaut Building in Detroit's New Center after a three-year search for space in the city.

rest of the story here:
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...der-digs-the-d

Keep the jobs coming!

No kidding? 30k is a big space even for that building. I've never been there but I had assumed it was all filled except for a few retailers.

GUSHI Guest

That great, if the bikes Are made here, I would buy one and get rid of my trek,

the cool part is that study he did where people weren't willing to pay more for a pen made in the USA, but were willing to pay more for a pen made in Detroit

He did a three-year search for space in the city? Three years?

This awesome news. I really hope we'll here this kind of news on the regular.

Very cool. It'd be nice to see them with a signature retail location downtown somewhere. They're stores aren't typically large obviously, but with a bicycle operation, maybe they can actually occupy a medium sized storefront.

This is great news ! This is a good sign , maybe more companies will take a 2nd look at Detroit !

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    the cool part is that study he did where people weren't willing to pay more for a pen made in the USA, but were willing to pay more for a pen made in Detroit
    When did Detroit secede from the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    He did a three-year search for space in the city? Three years?
    Probably had to get through the red tape, political b.s. and zoning issues that the city put entrepreneurs through who want to set up show in the city. I am totally for the "Made in Detroit" or "Made in USA" concept. I can't wait for the US Patent Office to open in July

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    No kidding? 30k is a big space even for that building. I've never been there but I had assumed it was all filled except for a few retailers.
    Retailers? The Argonaut Building was given to CCS by General Motors years ago. I don't recall much retail in there beyond their cafeteria, some sort of bookstore for the kids and a Tim Horton's. The old Argonaut Building even when it was a GM space was never one for retail traffic. I can't imagine CCS really opening it up for retail foot traffic.

This is great news. Great for Detroit, and really really great for CCS.

I have always liked Fossil watches. I'll have to start wearing a watch again! Will be very interested to see what kind of bikes they will have.

I just hope they know their "shit from Shinola"....
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-31-12 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Retailers? The Argonaut Building was given to CCS by General Motors years ago. I don't recall much retail in there beyond their cafeteria, some sort of bookstore for the kids and a Tim Horton's. The old Argonaut Building even when it was a GM space was never one for retail traffic. I can't imagine CCS really opening it up for retail foot traffic.
    That was my point. I can't see there being 30k available in the building, maybe only small spaces on the first floor for future needs of students. It was my assumption that between the schools, the studios, etc, the building was pretty much full. I can't blame fossil for wanting to be in there though, art student types are pretty much hipsters, and will fall for the ironic old style watches and designer bikes.

l still wear my watch though with a cell phone its pretty much out of date.

More info on possible retail site...

The founder of Fossil Inc. has chosen a New Center site to make bicycles and watches and is close to signing a lease agreement to sell those goods in a West Canfield Street retail shop in Detroit's Midtown area, according to three sources familiar with the dealings.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1wSvZbHi4

The potential retail site on West Canfield is near the Traffic Jam & Snug restaurant, Motor City Brewing Works, the City Bird store and studio, and the Canfield Lofts.
    A spokesman for the commercial real estate DeMattia Group that represents the building said no lease has been signed. The company said its policy is not to discuss any possible negotiations.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1wSvhKqx4

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That was my point. I can't see there being 30k available in the building, maybe only small spaces on the first floor for future needs of students. It was my assumption that between the schools, the studios, etc, the building was pretty much full. I can't blame fossil for wanting to be in there though, art student types are pretty much hipsters, and will fall for the ironic old style watches and designer bikes.

l still wear my watch though with a cell phone its pretty much out of date.
    The entire 5th floor [[in between the high school and CCS) is vacant. It was originally envisioned as space available for automotive companies to have design space to interact with students. I guess that didn't pan out.