Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default This is getting too much - now I'm thinking of leaving SE MI

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ves/55237958/1

What the hell is wrong with people around here?

It's definitely a sick story.

But something isn't adding up. Not "blaming victims" but it seems like another shoe has yet to drop.

Glad she's ok though.

Since you really don't have any information in your post or thread title, I'll have to guess it's this story:

DETROIT [[USA TODAY) — A 22-year-old pregnant woman survived after being bound, driven to Detroit, set on fire and shot early Saturday morning.

The woman, who was nine-months pregnant, had returned from a movie with her boyfriend and dropped him off at his house in Warren when she was approached from behind, Warren police Sgt. Dave Geffert said.

The woman's hands, feet and eyes were bound with duct tape. She was then forced into her car and driven to an unknown place in Detroit where she was doused with lighter fluid, set on fire and shot once in the upper back, he said.
    http://www.freep.com/usatoday/articl...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

To me, the story stinks. As in, I'm not sure I believe it. Too much doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ves/55237958/1

What the hell is wrong with people around here?
    Sorry... rb... but your title is overdramatic... where are you going to move to?? Let's see LA had the Rodney King & aftermath... Boston and Seattle had their stranglers... Chicago had Gacy, Milwaukee had Dahlmer, New York had Son of Sam... DC had the trunk snipers....

Sorry you're going to have to move to Denmark to escape the carnage....

Also... there's something about this story that doesn't pass the smell test... waiting to hear more...

I guess Denmark's out. They had the Great Nordic Biker War and human trafficking. Where to go, where to go....

Who were the people who were trying to kill her, the The Three Stooges?

In another news report it stated that she was dropped off near I-75 and 94. Why would she drive out to Beaumont?
    It also stated that she faked playing dead and that's why her assailant[[s) left. Isn't it kind of hard to fake dead when you have burns and a gunshot wound? It seems like you'd do a lot of groaning.

This story stinks is right.

Crime is crime, and one crime is too many, but to take a non-random crime as your justification, as your straw-that-broke-the-camels-back for moving? Really? A random gunman killed two teens in Finland on Saturday wounding another seven. Three people were injured by in a drug shooting in Madison, Wisconsin near campus on Saturday. Halifax police in Canada have labeled their latest shooting on Saturday as totally random. Four people are dead, and 28 wounded in Chicago over the weekened in shootings....etc...now, Detroit has more shootings than most, and there are a lot of good justifications for anyone wanting to leave the city, but let's not get silly.

Seriously, if you were to use any justification at all, I'm surprised you didn't use the very brazen carjacking of Marvin Winans in broad daylight on the westside. That has far more consequential implications than some Warren woman kidnapped by someone she knows.
    Last edited by Dexlin; May-28-12 at 12:24 AM.

Cool thread bro, thanks for starting it.

Only an idiot would use this story as an excuse to leave. Suburban Detroit has one of the lowest murder rates among the major cities of the U.S.

Cleveland - 1.25 per 100,000
    Cincinnati - 1.25 per 100,000
    Minneapolis - 1.42 per 100,000
    Seattle - 2.12 per 100,000
    San Diego - 2.13 per 100,000
    Boston - 2.16 per 100,000
    Denver - 2.21 per 100,000
    San Antonio - 2.33 per 100,000
    Detroit - 2.37 per 100,000
    Baltimore - 2.68 per 100,000
    Pittsburgh - 2.73 per 100,000
    St. Louis - 3.01 per 100,000
    Dallas - 3.17 per 100,000
    Washington - 3.25 per 100,000
    New York - 3.39 per 100,000
    Sacramento - 3.39 per 100,000
    Philadelphia - 3.69 per 100,000
    Tampa - 3.76 per 100,000
    Phoenix - 4.15 per 100,000
    Houston - 4.31 per 100,000
    Los Angeles - 4.33 per 100,000
    Kansas City - 4.44 per 100,000
    Orlando - 4.48 per 100,000
    Atlanta - 4.97 per 100,000
    Miami - 5.85 per 100,000
    San Francisco - 6.26 per 100,000*

*This is largely due to Oakland. If Oakland and San Francisco are combined, the suburban murder rate would drop to 4.17 per 100,000.

If you include Pontiac and Inkster with Detroit, then the suburban murder rate drops to 1.86 per 100,000.

^^ Where's Chicago??

Quote Originally Posted by ptero View Post
    I guess Denmark's out. They had the Great Nordic Biker War and human trafficking. Where to go, where to go....
    You don't have to move overseas. Get on I-75, drive about 20 or 30 miles North of the city, Rochester, Oakland Township, Clarkston ect. Actually, there's a plethora of cities located right around here where it's pretty sedate and they don't set pregnant women on fire.

^Do they welcome single pregnant African-American women with open arms?

Well that was quick.

Getting a little irritated at these fucks using people hangups about Detroit to help cover up their evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ Where's Chicago??
    Illinois

Guess the ex-boyfriend didn't want to pay child support. Kind of extreme but ..
    A lot of soul less people walking around.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You don't have to move overseas. Get on I-75, drive about 20 or 30 miles North of the city, Rochester, Oakland Township, Clarkston ect. Actually, there's a plethora of cities located right around here where it's pretty sedate and they don't set pregnant women on fire.
    Right, instead they chop up their wives and leave the torso in the garage while spreading the other boy parts around the neighbohood.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...an-arrest.html

But I can understand the OP's frustration.

It's more bullshit after more bullshit around here [[some bullshit you wouldn't think would happen in a million years) just adding up that shouldn't be happening, and it does drain one's energy quickly.

I don't think it was this incident alone that specifically lead to the title in the OP, but it can most cetainly be the straw that breaks the camel's back fo someone. th most others who responded know that too, despite the silly knee-jerk reactions.

Ok, O-K, we're not going down the 'crime is everywhere' and 'weirder' crime is even-further-away road to justify our problems here are we?

It used to be bantied about that only certain people did certain crimes. That's bunk! As we now KNOW! Recall in a years span we've had four woman and two men folded-up into trunks of cars; a few of them burned, shot, others tortured, then shot and buried after being removed from said trunks.

Then we got a guy torturing people with a hot fork from Detroit, not some far away place or out-land. Or another example, a man forcing a woman with her baby in a stroller to an alley to rape her and shooting her in the back for daring to run away! On and on... detail of depravity no longer simply left to the imagination, or cordoned off to a specific segment or area.

The bigger issue is how did we get here where the sanctity of life has been so diminished: old, young, male, female, unborn etc. There's hardly a place on earth out of conscious and ear-shot to not know these things are going on.

Back to this latest specific incident, I'm glad to know the mother and her baby survived this horrid ordeal. Hopefully, the details will come out and the perps arrested.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-28-12 at 10:01 AM.

You could go to Miami where drug-crazed zombies chew on your face:

http://www.abc57.com/video/Miami-cop...155021865.html

Or Chicago Blvd. Detroit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Illinois

makes enough sense. The father of the child clearly hasn't watched enough CSI. Even the most incompetent drunk police have put this one together. He got the girl pregnant. Decided he wasn't trying to pay the friend of the court. So he tricked the girl into going on a date and he tried to kill her. This young lady was probably more than happy to fall into the trap. Probably hoped the guy would try to be there for her and the baby. Not an unreasonable expectation [[shouldnt be at least)
    Either way no matter where you go there are crazy people. I mean. Just yesterday police in Miami had to shoot a guy on the side of the freeway that
    was eating a homeless persons face. seriously. A few months back on the east coast another guy ate his wife. So in Detroit you find ruthless psychopaths. Elsewhere zombie people. Pick your poison
    Last edited by rex; May-28-12 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sorry... rb... but your title is overdramatic... where are you going to move to?? Let's see LA had the Rodney King & aftermath... Boston and Seattle had their stranglers... Chicago had Gacy, Milwaukee had Dahlmer, New York had Son of Sam... DC had the trunk snipers....

Sorry you're going to have to move to Denmark to escape the carnage....

Also... there's something about this story that doesn't pass the smell test... waiting to hear more...
    rodney king was a single group of incidents touched off by a single event. The others you talked about are single person issues. There have been far too many stories about this type of crime around here lately, and with all the cuts to public safety I don't see it getting better. the crap that is going around here breaks my heart. It's a whole new level of callousness and depravity
    Last edited by rb336; May-28-12 at 08:53 AM.

I hear you... but I think there are levels of 'zombie' state... Often cash is a motive one could argue in for example, murder-robberies. But, I think you have to be sorta 'zombied' out to be 14 and 17 and shoot an 88 security guard to death minding a church? Is that not a zombie state?

Consciousness must be pretty seared and zonked out to do that... especially that young! Or the Cipriano case... or those two women in the trunk, bound and tortured and buried - was that not a zombie status for the perps to do that?

We're just talking appreciable levels of the 'zombie' status IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    ...in Detroit you find ruthless psychopaths. Elsewhere zombie people. Pick your poison
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-28-12 at 09:05 AM.

Agreed. It is getting harder to hang on... especially with the cut backs in policing and the decreasing age of criminals and those being killed.

....There have been far too many stories about this type of crime around here lately, and with all the cuts to public safety I don't see it getting better. the crap that is going around here breaks my heart. It's a whole new level of callousness and depravity

rodney king was a single group of incidents touched off by a single event. The others you talked about are single person issues. There have been far too many stories about this type of crime around here lately, and with all the cuts to public safety I don't see it getting better. the crap that is going around here breaks my heart. It's a whole new level of callousness and depravity
    RB, I know... but this particular crime just didn't pass the smell test... it sounded like a setup from the get-go... just seemed too much NOT like a random event. Since so many crimes are between people who know each other [[like grandma and grandson)... it's the random ones that frighten us the most [[although all are sort of scary, aren't they?).

Like in Thunderdome... it seems like society is breaking down... a little bit at a time... but I don't see there being an escape from that... except someplace really remote.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast