Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Masonic Temple

Default Masonic Temple

It seems the Masonic is having a renaissance. anyone have pictures of the interior of the building over the years?

hmm.. who owns the masonic temple, and is that all they own? I'm wondering why such an attraction is allowed to be surrounded by any number of dilapidated structures.. with the right investors, that whole general area could be turned into a broader entertainment destination..

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    It seems the Masonic is having a renaissance. anyone have pictures of the interior of the building over the years?
    A link to quite a few interior pics http://www.detroitmasonic.com/pictures.htm

The Masonic Temple is absolutely amazing. I have been on a few tours of the building. It is mind boggling - so grand and spectacular. I keep hoping that the place will see some renewed interest. It's as wonderful as the Fisher Bldg or the Guardian Bldg in my estimation.

WOW! What fantastic pictures, thanks for the link.
    New management, fresh ideas, and creeping gentrification of the Cass Coridor point to a bright future for this amazing building complex.

The interior pictures I have are lodge pictures with Masons. The fundamental problem at the Masonic Temple is that they have nowhere near the amount of blue lodges down there compared to the past. Also, the even larger problem is far fewer masons compared to the past. The Shrine and Scottish Rite leaving sent the building to the brink of disaster.

I have many great memories down there, especially of 3M where the English Tudor room is located.

No matter how often I visit this place, I see something new and wonderful each time.

For all the criticism that we give the Ilitch's [[much of it deserved)... if it were not for them paying the electric bill a while back [[as well as them temporarily taking over bookings)... this wonderful space would have gone dark, and the lodges would certainly have moved elsewhere... likely to the suburbs. And then the scrappers coming in... unthinkable!!

However, it was likely in the Ilitch's best interest that this place not go dark. After all this is one of the most important parts of Midtown... and likely a cornerstone to future expansion that the Ilitch's may have for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    No matter how often I visit this place, I see something new and wonderful each time.

For all the criticism that we give the Ilitch's [[much of it deserved)... if it were not for them paying the electric bill a while back [[as well as them temporarily taking over bookings)... this wonderful space would have gone dark, and the lodges would certainly have moved elsewhere... likely to the suburbs. And then the scrappers coming in... unthinkable!!

However, it was likely in the Ilitch's best interest that this place not go dark. After all this is one of the most important parts of Midtown... and likely a cornerstone to future expansion that the Ilitch's may have for the area.
    No matter what you think of the Ilitch clan and their misguided property management, you can at least give them credit for staying in the City when fleeing was the fad. No one in 1987 was moving downtown. They were among the very first to return.

Just a little, somewaht off-topic, fact, but for those who don't know, Detroit's Masonic Temple is the largest Freemasonry temple in the world [[excluding the theatre).

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    No matter what you think of the Ilitch clan and their misguided property management, you can at least give them credit for staying in the City when fleeing was the fad. No one in 1987 was moving downtown. They were among the very first to return.
    I totally agree. He finished the restoration of the Fox Theater, made the Red Wings a highly competitive team, moved offices downtown, has at least secured and cleaned the UA building, etc. He has been responsible for more positives over the years than most downtown landowners.

If nothing else, because of him we have the Fox theater, any city would be proud to have such an incredible facility.

The Masonic is probably one of the country's premier mult-use buildings. There was a hotel built in [[lodging for visiting Masons), a number of theaters, ballroom, banquet room, lounges, etc. etc. Luckily Ilitch has stepped in to help prevent it's abandonment.

Some day I'm hoping the Masonic Temple will be in regular use again as an entertainment/event facility. You could literally spend an entire day touring that place and continually be amazed.

And only yesterday at the Masonic, two shows by Jack White. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p