Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Warren Evans and Gary Brown- Detroit Crime

I couple of interesting articles on the Huffington Post by Gary Brown and Warren Evans. I really liked Warren Evans, I thought he was actually doing something proactive to prevent crime for the first time in decades and it was working. Now we are back to responding [[slowly) to crime after it has already happened.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...ot-doing-jobs/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-a...ml?ref=detroit

2. Default

I was very impressed with Warren Evans leading from the front -- that he actually strapped on the weapons and armor, 'marched to the sound of the firing' and went into combat with his officers. It showed leadership and sent a high profile message to criminals. The perception of 'I'm going after the bad guys and risking my life', is a powerful message to a community that feel powerless.

I was just as disappointed when he did that strutting photo shoot. Suddenly his message comes off as nothing more than a reality show audition with Detroit as his stepping stone. Now he getting into the group stoning of DPD management over the current chaos.

Too bad; he is very articulate and intelligent person but he has also burned too many bridges. Nonetheless I think he set a model for the type of leadership at the front that is still needed.

..how much else does the Detroit Dept. have to do to be "in compliance" with the federal decree?

..what about Godbee's alleged plan to shift more cops into neighborhood duty and put civilians in most desk jobs?

Is Evans going to be working with this "detroit crime commission" that got started up recently?

Oh hell no on Warren Evans. Dunno much about Gary other than he was investigating Kwhyme at one point.

But Evans is one of them. He's a quiet troublemaker, or power-monger.

You can tell a person's true nature when the camera lights switch on. He is a fool for power.

I cannot find an ounce of trust for him.

No cheers,
    John

..Gannon, what are your thoughts on John Bennett, the fellow who runs the DetroitUncovered blog? Think he might run for council again? or mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I was very impressed with Warren Evans leading from the front -- that he actually strapped on the weapons and armor, 'marched to the sound of the firing' and went into combat with his officers. It showed leadership and sent a high profile message to criminals. The perception of 'I'm going after the bad guys and risking my life', is a powerful message to a community that feel powerless.

I was just as disappointed when he did that strutting photo shoot. Suddenly his message comes off as nothing more than a reality show audition with Detroit as his stepping stone. Now he getting into the group stoning of DPD management over the current chaos.

Too bad; he is very articulate and intelligent person but he has also burned too many bridges. Nonetheless I think he set a model for the type of leadership at the front that is still needed.
    You know, Lowell, it always seemed to me that Evans was only doing that "leading from the front" thing for the cameras. He seemed to always bring a film crew with him. It seemed more about self publicity than setting an example.

Conversely, a couple of cops I know said that when Barren was Chief, he would just show up at roll call and say, "I'd like to ride along for part of the shift tonight." No camera crew, no media notification, etc.

I could be wrong about Evans, but he always seemed to be preparing for his next job or campaign.

Aren't the people of Detroit getting sick of grandstanders?
    I'd be happy with a boring guy who gets results.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Me, too. And I thought that was what Chief Barren was until Bing fired him.

The mayor has a flavor of the month mentality when it comes to people that work for him. He likes someone until some one else comes along who he thinks is an upgrade over what he has. It doesn't matter that the person in the job may be doing a good job. I think Bing liked Evans aggressive approach to policing but he turned out was a little too flamboyant for his liking. Bing has an ego such that he doesn't want any of his appointees to even appear like they may be upstaging him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..Gannon, what are your thoughts on John Bennett, the fellow who runs the DetroitUncovered blog? Think he might run for council again? or mayor?
    I wish I knew more about Bennett, but everything seems to indicate he's one of the good guys.

I'd still say Steve Dolunt for Chief...he's Commander of the Eastern district now.

With Bennett and Brown on Council...there would be a great understanding of the needs of police.

As long as they had a Chief they could trust...that would help.

I'm not a fan of Godbee, either.

Cheers, John
    Last edited by Gannon; May-24-12 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

I'd still say Steve Dolunt for Chief...

I'm not a fan of Godbee, either.
    Why Dolunt and whats wrong with Godbee ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

I'd still say Steve Dolunt for Chief...he's Commander of the Eastern district now.

Cheers, John
    Dolunt is outstanding. He has no apparent desire to make a name for himself, works tirelessly, is responsive, and takes a targeted approach to using limited resources.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I do hope the electorate figures this out someday. Let's hope that with that newfangled internet it could happen that real quality gets rewarded -- and not grandstanding.

That said, I didn't like Evans do-da. Sometimes things like that are what it takes to get through to the rank and file. Grandstanding, no. Creativity and public image for DPD, perhaps.

We too quickly condemn anyone who tries to do something. That breeds inaction and grandstanding.

[[Sorry so many thoughts jumbled together.)

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Why Dolunt and whats wrong with Godbee ?
    I've been around Commander Dolunt's periphery since junior high school. He is the older brother of a dear, old friend. You know someone's character when you see them off-duty. He is the real deal, solid to the core. He has been one of my personal heroes since being the highest-ranking Internal Affairs officer to investigate Kwhyme and keep his job. [[and I am quite certain he'd give me a ton of grief for being such the advocate for him, too!) Caught him walking his dog one day, not long after that quote in the Freep from his boss calling him 'dumb as a post'...and his usual self-less humorous deflection reminded me of his depth of character. The whole family is solid.

As for Godbee, he is too slick. He was part of at least one of Kwhyme's cash-only birthday parties...one of the hold-overs from that ugly time. Hides his pastorship of an inner-city church...has anyone ever heard of that?!

I just don't trust him. It is mostly a gut thing though, and probably reactionary against the Kwhyme association. And then there are the absolutely idiotic things he's chosen to do to 'solve' crime in a few specific areas...like tow innocent folk's cars in advance of them being victims, and other blaming everyone but the perpetrators.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; May-25-12 at 02:49 AM.

From the Gary Brown article:

For instance, any patrol officer should be able to write tickets when someone is in violation of traffic laws and other ordinances, not only the traffic unit.
    Is this true? So say if a two cops sitting in their patrol car observe someone running a red light, they can't ticket them? That seems too ridiculous to be true. What's the rationale?

Also, one of my pet peeves is when cops walk a beat during festivals and events, why do they have to be in pairs? Often, I see them clump together into groups of 3, 4, 5 or more. I would suggest they be directed not to walk together unless responding to an incident. If these highly trained and armed professionals can't walk alone downtown, what message does that send to anyone else walking?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    If these highly trained and armed professionals can't walk alone downtown, what message does that send to anyone else walking?
    To walk in pairs too?