Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Occurrence Guest

Default Why does Jay Towers have a career?

Why is this guy employed? Someone must like this guy. Who allows and supports such mediocrity? He might possibly be one of the biggest hacks on TV/radio in the Detroit area. He's even worse than Charlie LeDuff, and that's saying a lot.

Obviously the TV station does not share your opinion of Jay Towers or Charlie LeDuff.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Obviously the TV station does not share your opinion of Jay Towers or Charlie LeDuff.
    But why? When did mediocrity and banality become a goal?

When advertisers said so.

Because he wants one ?

Charlie LeDuff is great! His goofy reporting style is a bit unprofessional and can sometimes get annoying, but I love watching the inept and corrupt politicians squirm when he walks in the door.

I don't really have an opinion of Jay Towers as I quit listening to 97.1 when they switched to sports I and rarely watch TV. I will say that I have a close friend that worked with him at one point and I remember him complaining about Towers on several occasions. I believe the words ass, arrogant, and ......... were used several times.

When did D-Yes start censoring foul language?

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    But why? When did mediocrity and banality become a goal?
    Maybe you should ask the people who hired them. Meanwhile I'm sure your television gets more than one channel.

I like his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Who the fuck knows? Oh, the Shadow...

Apparently my test wasn't foul enough.

But I'd bet ......... makes the list.

This is only a test.

Because it's WJBK, the station of mediocrity.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-24-12 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I am not saying that DYes should censor foul language, but as adults, we should try and express ourselves without the need for such.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I am not saying that DYes should censor foul language, but as adults, we should try and express ourselves without the need for such.
    "Swearing is an art form. You can express yourself much more exactly, much more succinctly, with properly used curse words." - Coleman Young

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    When advertisers said so.
    I'm leaning more towards the lack of competition. All of the media outlets are owned by a handful of large companies who don't have to put much thought into what they put on the air. Advertisers have some leverage when there is a choice between good and mediocre but don't really control it if EVERYTHING is mediocre.

http://www.trueskool.com/forum/topic...Topic%3A119281

Maybe you should ask the people who hired them. Meanwhile I'm sure your television gets more than one channel.
    In theory, maybe. This morning as I was getting ready for work I got a little bored with the Today Show and decided to switch over to Good Morning America. But Good Morning America was airing exactly the same stories in exactly the same order as Today. I literally switched back and forth about every 30 seconds for several minutes and did not miss a beat. And it wasn't like today was some big news event. The stories were all mainly slow news day fillers, even down to the unverified rumor that the Steinbrenner family were thinking about putting the NY Yankees up for sale!

Maybe they think the viewers who are also [[censored) want to watch someone they can relate to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I agree and rarely do I feel the need to use such language. That's probably why I was a bit surprised that the word was edited out as it's not exactly uncommon to see other words posted here. Also, to be fair I was not trying to express my own opinion of the guy [[I've never met him).
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-24-12 at 11:10 AM.

Local news anchors are hired to be attractive and tell the news, most of which I have read online or in my paper already. When's the last time a news station has broke anything worth while? The papers were doing the Kwame thing and the TV crews were just rehashing it. Otherwise it's 'I paid that guy to cut my lawn and he didn't' "investigative type work.

Having said all of that. There are is no shortage of attractive female news anchors and traffic girls in the morning news rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Why is this guy employed? Someone must like this guy. Who allows and supports such mediocrity? He might possibly be one of the biggest hacks on TV/radio in the Detroit area. He's even worse than Charlie LeDuff, and that's saying a lot.
    I don't have a strong opinion on Jay Towers. He's there, and he fills in time which is the objective of all of them. BUT when you mention LeDuff I immediately start to squirm. This weasel who dresses like he buys his outfits from the Salvation Army Store and gets his hair styled by standing in a hedgerow at trimming time is the most obnoxious "interviewer" on TV bar none. Anybody that allows themselves to be interviewed by his offensive inyourface, youknowyourguilty attack is a loser and TV 2 demonstrates they can sink lower than the other local Channels.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    "Swearing is an art form. You can express yourself much more exactly, much more succinctly, with properly used curse words." - Coleman Young
    Coleman Young was never my role model.

I've always said that Jay Towers is the newer generation of the Jim Harper type. He's somewhat bland but unoffensive. I think he appeals to the middle age women segment of listeners, the ones who would start listening to Jim/Jay in the morning and keep their radios on at their desk throughout the day.

I don't think that every radio DJ needs to be edgy or stand out. Sometimes it's OK to just be there to keep things moving, and Jay does that pretty well, so he's filling a needed gap.

Is LeDuff more annoying than Andrea Isom ... "on the Edge!"? That would be a close call.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    In theory, maybe. This morning as I was getting ready for work I got a little bored with the Today Show and decided to switch over to Good Morning America. But Good Morning America was airing exactly the same stories in exactly the same order as Today. I literally switched back and forth about every 30 seconds for several minutes and did not miss a beat. And it wasn't like today was some big news event. The stories were all mainly slow news day fillers, even down to the unverified rumor that the Steinbrenner family were thinking about putting the NY Yankees up for sale!
    Are you familiar with the on/off power switch? Try it. It works.

Are you familiar with the on/off power switch? Try it. It works.
    It does. Yet, that is beside the point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast