Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paramedics Say Detroiters Not Safe at Downtown Rally

See video! The comments are pretty wild re. the article.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ly-20120523-ms

Privatize this already. Detroit doesn't have the money or the management capabilities.

OK, I don't watch a lot of local news, but are Charlie Leduff's reports always that silly? I had a hard time taking the story seriously with some of his antics.

is EMS considered part of the police dept. or fire dept.? doesn't the city already heavily contract with private ambulance services?

Expect more of this type of 'safety' whining. Its one of the few remaining defenses labor has to stall reasonable, necssary changes in the workplace. Of course safety is important -- but using safety to get a raise -- or avoid the kind of cuts the rest of us have experienced isn't.

I do consider safety - and being able to get to a hospiatl in an emergency - to be my very highest priority. That sector shouldn't be hit like 'the rest of us."

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I do consider safety - and being able to get to a hospiatl in an emergency - to be my very highest priority. That sector shouldn't be hit like 'the rest of us."
    SWMAP -- I respectfully disagree. Everything the city does needs to be reviewed and improved. This is no different than police, fire, health, code enforcement, etc. They're all critical to your safety. Actually, this is different. It really is a commodity. I can easily be provided privately.

I'm in favor of whatever gives the citizens the safest city possible. And that isn't necessary heeding the safety call of each and every department head and employee who cries -- no, not me.

The safest thing for all of us in Detroit is a city that delivers all safety services well. Police, Fire, EMS, health, etc. And nothing should be off the table. Pay cuts. Pay increases. Firing administrators. Privatizing. Outsourcing. Anything at all that makes the delivery of 'safety' better.

More than half the city budget delivers safety. If they can't do it efficiently, then we need to do something differently. Regionalization. State Control. Whatever.

I don't care for one second about maintaining the status quo. I want a good city.

I want all city services to be the best. They should all be well-run. Employees should be professional and well-paid. But the entire department from top to bottom needs to be efficient.

This reminds me of the AARP ambulance video.

Policing, fire fighting and EMS are all licensed occupations. Where are the private police and fire forces? I agree that there are private ambulance services. They are not competitive, imo.

Default homicides

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Policing, fire fighting and EMS are all licensed occupations. Where are the private police and fire forces? I agree that there are private ambulance services. They are not competitive, imo.
    what is the homicides year to date in Detroit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    And nothing should be off the table. Pay cuts. Pay increases. Firing administrators. Privatizing. Outsourcing. Anything at all that makes the delivery of 'safety' better.

Employees should be professional and well-paid. But the entire department from top to bottom needs to be efficient.
    Like I've said before, cut from the top. Dropping 3 or 4 of the brass could save 10 or 12 of the people that actually do the work. And every round of layoffs should start with at least a 10% salary cut for the top ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Like I've said before, cut from the top. Dropping 3 or 4 of the brass could save 10 or 12 of the people that actually do the work. And every round of layoffs should start with at least a 10% salary cut for the top ranks.
    I can agree with that. Cutting wages for labor without cutting management is disgraceful.

Goodness that was an annoying piece. Even when you agree with him, LeDuff still comes off like a faux-hipster windbag overly impressed with his own self-importance.

Some epic mustaches among those EMS guys though.

Leduff can be over the top at time. When his antics start to obscure the news story it's for certain annoying. Funny to watch him make Ficano fidget and dotter, but the serious factor is that Ficano must go and not given wiggle room such as claiming he's being so-called harassed by the media.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    OK, I don't watch a lot of local news, but are Charlie Leduff's reports always that silly? I had a hard time taking the story seriously with some of his antics.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-24-12 at 10:19 PM.

I sorta like Charlie when he's not off the rails.... Hah, which is funnier 'faux' or 'hipster' some might say?!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Goodness that was an annoying piece. Even when you agree with him, LeDuff still comes off like a faux-hipster windbag overly impressed with his own self-importance.

Some epic mustaches among those EMS guys though.

Occurrence Guest

Charlie LeDuff will always be a hack journalist to me. I'm convinced that he purposely twists facts and over-sensationalizes events to benefit himself.

He's a turd and I'm ashamed that some people here hold him in high regards. Than again, some people actually still like Mitch Albom, so I'm not surprised he has fans.

Send in the clowns...... don't bother they're at Fox 2