Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What was there - mapping shareware

Not sure if this has come up before, but my sister stumbled across this website: What Was There. It seems like a great platform to share historic photos of Detroit. Unfortunately, there aren't many photos posted yet.

Short description:
    The WhatWasThere project was inspired by the realization that we could leverage technology and the connections it facilitates to provide a new human experience of time and space – a virtual time machine of sorts that allows users to navigate familiar streets as they appeared in the past.

The premise is simple: provide a platform where anyone can easily upload a photograph with two straightforward tags to provide context: Location and Year. If enough people upload enough photographs in enough places, together we will weave together a photographic history of the world [[or at least any place covered by Google Maps). So wherever you are in the world, take a moment to upload a photograph and contribute to history!

Quote Originally Posted by lukabottle View Post
    Not sure if this has come up before, but my sister stumbled across this website: What Was There. It seems like a great platform to share historic photos of Detroit. Unfortunately, there aren't many photos posted yet.

Short description:
    The WhatWasThere project was inspired by the realization that we could leverage technology and the connections it facilitates to provide a new human experience of time and space – a virtual time machine of sorts that allows users to navigate familiar streets as they appeared in the past.

The premise is simple: provide a platform where anyone can easily upload a photograph with two straightforward tags to provide context: Location and Year. If enough people upload enough photographs in enough places, together we will weave together a photographic history of the world [[or at least any place covered by Google Maps). So wherever you are in the world, take a moment to upload a photograph and contribute to history!
    I love that site. I wish I had older photos to contribute. Eventually streetview images will become layered and 30 years from now we'll look back and be amazed.