Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Council halts action on consent agreement, cites possible legal challenge

"requested by Councilwoman JoAnn Watson"...

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...egal-challenge

If I were the Governor, I would immediately withdraw from the consent agreement, and declare that since Detroit has decided against self-government, he has no choice to but to appoint an emergency manager. The consent agreement was the only option to avoid control by the state [[EFM) or federal government [[bankruptcy). These councilmembers are fools of the first order. Of course, so is the mayor. Next time you see broken sidewalks, out of order lights, hear about bad schools and drive by shootings, see abandoned homes, or hear about someone in the city getting caught with their hand in our nearly-empty cookie jar, remind yourself that this is specifically what we did vote for. Keeping scoundrels in power is complete aquiecense to what they deliver. We could raise money by having our government be a TV reality show. The winner is defined as the council member who does the most damage to the city, and they become mayor. Pardon the rant, but these jackasses have opted to skip the least-bad option for the city. Bring on the pain!

"What's the end game? There's no plan B attached to going to court," Brown said. "We should be moving forward with the consent agreement that we signed.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1vivybdmP

Plan B is pander to the idiot masses and get re-elected. That's much more important than leadership.

EFM Time in the D! Thanks, JoAnne!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    EFM Time in the D! Thanks, JoAnne!
    Go Joanne.

Next -- fight the EFM -- and ensure bankruptcy!

This will be so great for Detroit. The more the slate is cleaned -- the better the end result. Even if it takes years. Good things take time.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; May-23-12 at 03:56 PM. Reason: TIBTTB

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    If I were the Governor, I would immediately withdraw from the consent agreement, and declare that since Detroit has decided against self-government, he has no choice to but to appoint an emergency manager.
    Should'a just gone with the EFM right off the bat. He threw them several lifelines and they just keep squandering them. End this crap already.

On a separate note, does Snyder ever wear a tie? The guy looks like a slob to me.

The more I evaluate it, EFM or Bankruptcy isn't going to happn.

1. Bankruptcy would cause the bond rating of every single community in Michigan to drop, and ensure higher taxes for everyone and harder access to municipal bonds [[see Birmingham/Jefferson ounty bankruptcy on steroids). In fact, Detroit may even drag Wayne County into Bankruptcy with it, then all bets are off.

2. Snyder would be blamed for whatever geos wrong with the EFM, and lord knows that can't happn, because being the governor that "killed Detroit", his state's largest city, won't look good on his resume.

So forget either of those happning. Snyder will take the Consent Agreement to the US Supreme Court if he has to in order to prevent the other two optionss for vryon and hardr accss to municipal bonds [[see Birmingham/Jffrson ounty bankruptcy on stroids). In fact, Detroit may even drag Wayne County into Bankruptcy with it, then all bets are off.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-23-12 at 04:34 PM.

I agree, absolutely, that the guv should have gone the EFM route right away, if only because it has always been clear that the current "leadership" would never make the hard choices.

On your other point. I LOATHE wearing a tie. Not kidding, my aversion to wearing a tie has altered my career path. I'm totally at piece with not wearing ties, for myself or anyone else. Maybe it's that I have a fat neck, but I find them very constraining [[as I do the buttuned up collar underneath). I respect a man who forgoes a tie. Similarly, I respect a woman who doesn't wear heels [[the ankle was not meant to be at that angle!). Conversely, a woman in spike heels just screams "moron" to me, no matter what comes out of her mouth. I lived in NY on 9/11. One should always be wearing footwear that you can run like hell in. While clothing should look good, the first purpose is practical.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Should'a just gone with the EFM right off the bat. He threw them several lifelines and they just keep squandering them. End this crap already.

On a separate note, does Snyder ever wear a tie? The guy looks like a slob to me.