Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 82 ... LastLast

An Alfred Myers design.

1610 Lincolnshire built in 1941 Palmer Woods Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A Malcomson & Higginbotham design.

M. M. Rose Elementary School 5505 Van Dyke built in 1896 Detroit, MI.
    One of 80 schools in the city nominated for inclusion on the national register.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; August-31-12 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    A Robert Finn design. Included are images from a 1920 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

575 East Boston Boulevard built in 1915 East Boston-Arden Park Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Thanks for posting the pictures of 575 East Boston Blvd. with its original windows. They looked, IMO, much better than the replacement ones. Until ~12 years ago, the plate glass windows [[every one, from front to back and top to bottom) were protected by ornate turquoise colored iron scroll-work window grills. It was quite a sight to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Thanks for posting the pictures of 575 East Boston Blvd. with its original windows. They looked, IMO, much better than the replacement ones. Until ~12 years ago, the plate glass windows [[every one, from front to back and top to bottom) were protected by ornate turquoise colored iron scroll-work window grills. It was quite a sight to behold.
    Your welcome I have always liked the home. It was nice to find the images and info on 575. One cannot judge a book by its cover, and we cannot help the very bad taste of the american public!

A design by Raseman & Freier. Includes an image from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

3436 Russel built in 1917 Detroit Fire Department Apparatus Repair Detroit, MI.

A Stratton & Snyder design. Includes images from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

2550 Iroquios built in 1917 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

A Richard Marr design. Includes an image from a 1916 issue of the Western Architect.

Rinaldo Apartments 27 East Willis built in 1915 Midtown Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; September-01-12 at 05:03 PM.

Wow, that is an amazing home...and it has stood the test of time!

Patrick I found the ad for this home a couple weeks ago and its becoming one of my favorite homes in the city. Check out the Pingree Park location, it makes for a very nice home. A modest design by MacFarlane, Maul & Lentz.

4744 Burns built in 1919 Pingree Park Detroit, MI.

Hello p69rrh51:

Appreciate the help with the information on the Col. Vincent House on Windmill Point Drive. Adds to the some research I have been doing.

Strange how the value of the home changed over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Hello p69rrh51:

Appreciate the help with the information on the Col. Vincent House on Windmill Point Drive. Adds to the some research I have been doing.

Strange how the value of the home changed over time.
    Harold Mistele is also quite an interesting character.

Where was this library located?

A Smith, Hinchman & Grylls design. Includes an image from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

Fyfe Building 10 West Adams built in 1919 Detroit, MI.

A Charles N. Agree design.

Marmon Motor Car Company Dealership 5911 Cass Avenue built in 1928 Wayne State University Detroit, MI.

An Alvin Harley design.

19171 Woodston built in 1927 Palmer Woods Historic District Detroit, MI.

A Spier & Gehrke design. Includes an image from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

1023 Bedford built in 1919 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

A Stahl & Kinsey design. Includes an image from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

1006 Bedford built in 1919 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

A George Haas design. Includes an image from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

Grosse Pointe Park Municipal Building 15115 East Jefferson built in 1918 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

An Albert Wood design. Includes images from a 1922 issue of The American Architect-The Architectural Review.

Henry Ford Hospital 2799 West Grand Boulevard built in 1915 Detroit, MI.

Where was this library located?
    A Google search retrieved old Detroit Public Library documents listing the Ginsburg Branch at 91 Brewster.

Brewster Street still exists, although today it is only a few blocks both east and west of I-75 a few blocks south of Mack Avenue. The Brewster Projects were located along this street.

Based on the Street Numbering Change listings, it appears that 91 Brewster stood between St. Antoine and Hastings Streets.

The third design in Palmer Woods by Rufus Arthur Bailey.

19331 Suffolk built in 1929 Palmer Woods Historic District Detroit, MI.

Most every well and many not so well known local architects have plied their trade in Grosse Pointe, as well as a few very well known architects from across the US. Now I run across a design by Mead & Hamilton [[famous for the Sebastian Kresge Mansion) in GP! Also interesting was Christian Brandt contracted as the local supervisor. Included are images from a 1919 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer.

1010 Bishop built in 1918 Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

Found the address for the Ginsburg Branch-3439 Hastings. Does anyone know if the library was torn down during freeway construction?

p69rrh51: Looks like you missed my post re: the Ginsburg Branch....

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    A Google search retrieved old Detroit Public Library documents listing the Ginsburg Branch at 91 Brewster.

Brewster Street still exists, although today it is only a few blocks both east and west of I-75 a few blocks south of Mack Avenue. The Brewster Projects were located along this street.

Based on the Street Numbering Change listings, it appears that 91 Brewster stood between St. Antoine and Hastings Streets.
    Now it may be that later the address changed from Brewster St. to a Hastings Street number. Pretty sure, though, that the site was west of I-75. If anything, it may have been demolished for the Brewster Recreation Center and its land.

Ok, Marcus R. Burrowes fanatics out there. I found this doing a little research in the March 1922 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer. Not familiar with the area of town where the building and Park are located a google map search shocked me. Burrowes may be the architect of the building. I have never seen any information linking him to Kronk. Does anyone have more info?
    Is Emmanuel Steward still trying to preserve the building? Is it still standing? If so with its history and possible connection to a significant local architect maybe its time to mobilize the troops to restore the building. Included are the description of the commission and a terrific image from Detroiturbex.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    p69rrh51: Looks like you missed my post re: the Ginsburg Branch....

Now it may be that later the address changed from Brewster St. to a Hastings Street number. Pretty sure, though, that the site was west of I-75. If anything, it may have been demolished for the Brewster Recreation Center and its land.
    Thx Kathleen, the 1928 Polk City Directory has it listed at 3439 Hastings. Its disappointing I have become a Mildner & Eisen fan and would have liked to seen the library.

Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 82 ... LastLast