Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I'm with Wheels here. Screw Rick, and anyone else who was involved in the wholesale/retail end of the crack epidemic. I lived on the eastside during those years, and the activities of Rick and his associates ruined thousands of lives, tore families apart, left children with effectively no parenting, terrorized thousands of people with its casual violence, and devastated whole neighborhoods. I lost 2 cousins to the poison, the nice old man who lived behind me got a bullet in the back of his head because he wouldn't shut up and let them use his house to sell from, I had bullets come flying through the back windows of my house endangering myself and my family because someone unleashed a spray of automatic weapons fire on that house at 4:30 in the morning, everyone in my neighborhood had several break-ins and many of their possessions stolen by desperate crackheads... and it goes on and on.

I'm not sorry even for a second that Rick got so much time, I'm only sorry that the other belly-crawling snakes like him didn't get more. And I'm not sorry that he was "just a kid," because though he may have been young he was pretty much grown when this stuff happened. I've heard Rick, and he seems like a reasonably intelligent person, certainly not developmentally disabled, so he knew what he was involved in was illegal and wrong, and he could even see the devastation the addictive poison brought to his own family. Other young men took a different path, but Rick, dazzled by greed, chose to get involved in the drug business. That he got more time than others is, in the end, immaterial in contrast to the costs of that time in our history, and the only people anyone should really feel sorry for here are the ones who actually got hurt. Rick should really apologize to the thousands people still alive who were damaged by his actions, and then just shut the hell up and be happy that he's not underground in a box like most of his 'colleagues'.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-25-12 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Rick's mom is a very good women. If Rick would have stayed living with her when he was a child he would NOT be in this mess. I use to spent weekends at Rick's mom's place in Clinton Twp. when we were around 12-13 yrs old.
    Btw - Yep.. I got an ONTV decoder kits from Rich Sr. Me and Rick actually helped clean out his dad's electronic store [[Lee Ricks) after he bought it. I thought his dad was cool when I was a kid because he let Rick and I do almost anything we wanted. Now I see what a pos he was.
    Was his Dad's shop on Gratiot, north of 10 Mile? There was a place called something- Surplus and it was a grey building with a big yard. The guy in there had a lot of military surplus parts as well.

My father used to have a food concession business and he rented space in that yard to store his trailers and other equipment back in the mid-1970's

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Hey Davey, Please do me and the rest of anybody who cares a favor. Please go through what i posted and, if possible, dispel the main untruths. What i posted was a collection of 2nd hand, 3rd person, and gossip monger info. I don't know shit personally, I was 8 yrs old when this guy went to prison, but my people have lived on the eastside for over 40 yrs, and you know, everyone over there is seperated by 2 degrees.

I don't know how to explain how much this case has bothered me over the years. Every person who has ever claimed to know rick and his family, anyone involved in his case, people that were in the know at the DPD, has always said this kid was railroaded, that it's understandable that he got some time for his activities after he was no longer involved with the feds, but a violent drug dealing murderer he was not.
    I'm watching the Tigers so I'll get back to you later. But.. I talked to Rick an hour and a half ago and he told me about this article. More truth over rumors: http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...o_set_him_free

Quote Originally Posted by takascar View Post
    Was his Dad's shop on Gratiot, north of 10 Mile? There was a place called something- Surplus and it was a grey building with a big yard. The guy in there had a lot of military surplus parts as well.

My father used to have a food concession business and he rented space in that yard to store his trailers and other equipment back in the mid-1970's
    That's the place! I remember digging through that surplus with Ricky a few times. His dad even paid us to "clean" even through we were just digging for goodies. I still have an old metal military helmet I grabbed from there back.. in 1981? The tire store was next door, the car dealership down the street and also that rock and roll bar..
    I went with Rick and his dad many times to estate sales, business meetings and "shady" ish. He was a salesman.. he bought a lot of stuff and then resold it. It's where Rick jr learned it from.
    Your father probably rented space from "Lee" the previous owner? It was a long time ago..

Btw- I lived at 13009 Hampshire while Rick lived at 13028 Hampshire across the street and down 2 houses. His grandma lived a few houses down from me.
    Last edited by DaveyM; May-25-12 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I'm with Wheels here. Screw Rick, and anyone else who was involved in the wholesale/retail end of the crack epidemic. I lived on the eastside during those years, and the activities of Rick and his associates ruined thousands of lives, tore families apart, left children with effectively no parenting, terrorized thousands of people with its casual violence, and devastated whole neighborhoods. I lost 2 cousins to the poison, the nice old man who lived behind me got a bullet in the back of his head because he wouldn't shut up and let them use his house to sell from, I had bullets come flying through the back windows of my house endangering myself and my family because someone unleashed a spray of automatic weapons fire on that house at 4:30 in the morning, everyone in my neighborhood had several break-ins and many of their possessions stolen by desperate crackheads... and it goes on and on.

I'm not sorry even for a second that Rick got so much time, I'm only sorry that the other belly-crawling snakes like him didn't get more. And I'm not sorry that he was "just a kid," because though he may have been young he was pretty much grown when this stuff happened. I've heard Rick, and he seems like a reasonably intelligent person, certainly not developmentally disabled, so he knew what he was involved in was illegal and wrong, and he could even see the devastation the addictive poison brought to his own family. Other young men took a different path, but Rick, dazzled by greed, chose to get involved in the drug business. That he got more time than others is, in the end, immaterial in contrast to the costs of that time in our history, and the only people anyone should really feel sorry for here are the ones who actually got hurt. Rick should really apologize to the thousands people still alive who were damaged by his actions, and then just shut the hell up and be happy that he's not underground in a box like most of his 'colleagues'.
    So have you or anyone you know ever done an illegal drug in your life? If so, you're just as guilty for creating more demand for "illegal" drugs. Do you support beer and/or liquor companies? They peddle their drug [[alcohol) every day in the hood and all over our country. Booze has done more damage to families and individuals more than coke or any other drug combined?
    Last edited by DaveyM; May-26-12 at 04:21 PM.

This is getting interesting... This article was posted today. Check it out!

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...mode=fullstory

I drove over to Hampshire and Park Dr. today. The street sign is missing [[interesting). That neighborhood looks much worse than I imagined, and I live in the "hood", 7 and Hayes [[the brick side)...

I wonder if he knows what he is coming home to???
    Last edited by PeterhuntPrincess; May-26-12 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterhuntPrincess View Post
    This is getting interesting... This article was posted today. Check it out!

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...mode=fullstory

I drove over to Hampshire and Park Dr. today. The street sign is missing [[interesting). That neighborhood looks much worse than I imagined, and I live in the "hood", 7 and Hayes [[the brick side)...

I wonder if he knows what he is coming home to???
    Rick's childhood home was on Hampshire between Dickerson and Coplin. 4 houses off of Dickerson. Yeah.. he knows what it's like over there now. He's seen pictures, too. He is DEFINITELY not going back to that or any "hood" believe me..

That's the place! I remember digging through that surplus with Ricky a few times. His dad even paid us to "clean" even through we were just digging for goodies. I still have an old metal military helmet I grabbed from there back.. in 1981? The tire store was next door, the car dealership down the street and also that rock and roll bar..
    I went with Rick and his dad many times to estate sales, business meetings and "shady" ish. He was a salesman.. he bought a lot of stuff and then resold it. It's where Rick jr learned it from.
    Your father probably rented space from "Lee" the previous owner? It was a long time ago..

Btw- I lived at 13009 Hampshire while Rick lived at 13028 Hampshire across the street and down 2 houses. His grandma lived a few houses down from me.
    Davey, Yeah Lee's surplus on Gratiot. I used to go in there a lot to buy surplus electronic parts, radio receivers, and other neat stuff. My next door neighbor went by the first name of Tim. Blondish guy with scraggly beard, kinda heavy set in his 30's. They were selling and installing bootleg cable boxes, fake blocking filters, and other contriband. Rick Sr. was slimy to say the least.

I remember when Rick Jr. was in there several times digging in piles of stuff. Me and Neighbor lived on Hickory street between Manning and Pinewood. I beleive the old man was selling various gun parts to convert semi-auto assualt rifles to full auto. There wasn't much the old man wasn't into.

Rick's childhood home was on Hampshire between Dickerson and Coplin. 4 houses off of Dickerson. Yeah.. he knows what it's like over there now. He's seen pictures, too. He is DEFINITELY not going back to that or any "hood" believe me..
    That whole NE side now looks like they fought the battle of Stalingrad there. God what a disaster area. I do agree, the guy's done 25 years and served his time. He does deserve a second chance, what he makes of it is up to him. whatever happened to the old man?

Is there any way to get a petition started to help the guy out?

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post

I'm not sorry even for a second that Rick got so much time, I'm only sorry that the other belly-crawling snakes like him didn't get more. And I'm not sorry that he was "just a kid," because though he may have been young he was pretty much grown when this stuff happened.
    Did you even listen to the interview?

Yes, I think his name was Lee. There was a trailer park behind the yard as I recall as well.

Wow - small world!

Yes, I think his name was Lee. There was a trailer park behind the yard as I recall as well.

Wow - small world!
    Did he have any Mindbox's?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterhuntPrincess View Post
    Is there any way to get a petition started to help the guy out?
    There's a Facebook page where me and others post info and updates: https://www.facebook.com/freewhiteboyrickwershe

Here's a post from that group on how to help Ricky:
    "
    We are asking that everyone write to the Michigan Parole Board on Rick's behalf. It is very important to let them know that there are people out there that would like to see Rick released. If you don't know what to write, please just state that he was 17 years old when arrested and that he has served enough time. Please let anyone else know as this will really help Rick's cause. This is very important for Rick's possible release in Deecember. Please include his information - Rick Wershe. Prisoner ID# 192034. Thank you in advance. Here is the address:

Parole Board
    Michigan Department of Corrections
    P.O. Box 30003
    Lansing, MI 48909"
    Thanks!

Wow - small world!
    It sure is. Let's hope that Detroit starts to grow and stops shrinking.

p.s. Another recent article by someone who has known Ricky for many years:

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...o_set_him_free
    Last edited by DaveyM; May-30-12 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrrman View Post
    Davey, Yeah Lee's surplus on Gratiot. I used to go in there a lot to buy surplus electronic parts, radio receivers, and other neat stuff. My next door neighbor went by the first name of Tim. Blondish guy with scraggly beard, kinda heavy set in his 30's. They were selling and installing bootleg cable boxes, fake blocking filters, and other contriband. Rick Sr. was slimy to say the least.

I remember when Rick Jr. was in there several times digging in piles of stuff. Me and Neighbor lived on Hickory street between Manning and Pinewood. I beleive the old man was selling various gun parts to convert semi-auto assualt rifles to full auto. There wasn't much the old man wasn't into.
    This guy Tim doesn't sound familiar. I'll ask Rick about him. The name doesn't ring a bell with me. An extended family from Yugoslavia moved in next door to Rick in the 1970s. Maybe that was his family?

Yup.. Ricky's dad was into some lowdown stuff. The last time I talked to Sr was about 6 years ago. Rick doesn't talk to him and I don't blame him for that. Senior was a licensed gun dealer for many years so yeah.. he dealt guns, etc for a long time. Rick and I use to shoot .22s in his grandma's basement [[target shooting) when we were kids. Sr also use to take us to shooting ranges often. We loved it.
    You're right... Sr was involved in many business from skatboards to leather goods to electronics to guns, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrrman View Post
    That whole NE side now looks like they fought the battle of Stalingrad there. God what a disaster area. I do agree, the guy's done 25 years and served his time. He does deserve a second chance, what he makes of it is up to him. whatever happened to the old man?
    Yeah and we were robbed several times and had our house broken into going back to when I [[and Ricky) were around 10 yrs old. Years before "crack" became so popular with users/addicts.

His old man is around but I haven't asked Rick where. Rick doesn't speak of him much so I don't bring him up much. Rick and his sister were victims of abuse.
    Last edited by DaveyM; May-30-12 at 04:14 PM.

Ricky's gramps, me and Rick at a Cub Scouts meeting -> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4791720_n.jpg

Ricky at Den Meeting at my house on Hampshire [[mid 70s) -> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._5492854_n.jpg

Rick laying on the couch at my Southfield house [[early 80s) -> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...25985272_n.jpg

My scan of a pic Rick sent me a couple years back. He's holding some artwork he helped with that raised money for charity. -> https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2218343_n.jpg

This guy Tim doesn't sound familiar. I'll ask Rick about him. The name doesn't ring a bell with me. An extended family from Yugoslavia moved in next door to Rick in the 1970s. Maybe that was his family?

Yup.. Ricky's dad was into some lowdown stuff. The last time I talked to Sr was about 6 years ago. Rick doesn't talk to him and I don't blame him for that. Senior was a licensed gun dealer for many years so yeah.. he dealt guns, etc for a long time. Rick and I use to shoot .22s in his grandma's basement [[target shooting) when we were kids. Sr also use to take us to shooting ranges often. We loved it.
    You're right... Sr was involved in many business from skatboards to leather goods to electronics to guns, etc.
    Tim lived next to us on Hickory Street, i don't know where they[[He and Sr.) met, probably at Lee's. They tried to recruit me as one of their "installers" but I was making legit good money as a third mate on a Lakes Ore Carrier at the time so I wasn't around much and probably better for it. The Tim guy was another hustler always on the lookout for an angle. For what its worth, tell Rick I hope he gets his shot at whats left of his life and to make it count.

Federal agents and Detroit police used and paid Rick for info when he was a minor [[14 years old). After 23 years those involved are coming forward with the truth. There's been a huge cover-up. These are letters sent to the parole board in support of Ricks release:

page1: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...32565032_n.jpg
    page2: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...38415208_n.jpg
    page3: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...57473128_n.jpg
    page4: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...73341454_n.jpg

page 1 [[letter from ex Detroit narcotics officer) https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...95049953_n.jpg

This crooked and criminal ex Detroit top cop is one of those who is trying to keep Rick locked up to cover his own ass. Btw- Bill Rice and Gil Hill are close friends and Rick provided info on the cover up of the murder of a 13 year old informant Damion Lucas. A cover up by top cops Gil Hill, etc to cover for the Mayor's kin. Bill Rice who has been invested by the FEDs for decades was allowed to spew lies at Rick's past parole hearing. -> http://www.freep.com/article/2012091...-resume-Oct-15

Quote Originally Posted by Drexciya68 View Post
    Not to threadjack, but you're a fan of Drexciya eh?

People still whining about this fool?

Maybe he is a fool but I dont believe anyone should be locked up for 25+ years for being a fool, especially a fool patsy. Do you have any clue how fucked up our penal system is. I dont take it so lightly when someones life is taken and thrown into prison for BS like this, its a human life locked up so some prison builder and their benefactors can make money off of. If we are the land of the free, why do we have more ppl locked up than any other country?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast