Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking to relocate from Downtown Detroit to Downtown Detroit – Need Suggestions!

My wife and I are in our second year living Downtown at the Broadway Lofts, and our lease will end in March of 2013. We’ve enjoyed living at the Broadway; however we’re considering a move at the end of the lease. Given the high demand for market rate apartments, we’ve decided to start looking for our next place now – just in case we need to get on a waiting list. I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest a few places for us to consider.

We like the Broadway lofts because of the location, the size [[~1800 sq feet), the price, and they allow dogs [[we have two). On the downside, we’ve had issues with the parking next to the building – we now park at the Opera house $125 per car [[$150 starting in June = crazy!), the liquor store across the street attracts an interesting crowd, we do not have any outdoor space, and the view from the front of our unit is average [[at best).

That said -- here is what we are looking for…

• Price range $2,200 - $2500 per month
    • At least 1600 square feet or more
    • Two bedrooms [[3 would be a plus)
    • Two full baths
    • Hardwood or finished concrete flooring
    • Secure parking for two cars
    • Private patio, or a shared outdoor space
    • Dog friendly [[2)
    • In unit washer/dryer
    • Storage cage
    • Views of the Downtown skyline
    • Prefer Downtown, would consider Midtown

FYI, we’ve checked-out the Riverfront Lofts, and it meets all of our requirements; however, we just don’t like the location. The Broderick would also be nice, but they may not be any units avaible by March of next year.

Any suggestions?

I would encourage you to seriously consider buying a coop in Lafayette Park. Given the rent you are prepared to pay, I think that it would be realistic to consider buying. The Van der Rohe townhouses are two stories, 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, 1 dedicated outdoor parking space, one on street. Near park for dogs. Great neighbors. Full basement for laundry and storage. The four coops are, I think, Lafayette, Nicolet, Joliet and Lasalle. Each coop used to have a bit of variation in terms of how well run it was--deferred maintenance, quality of maintenance company et. Nicolet Coop was very well run.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward's Cousin View Post
    I would encourage you to seriously consider buying a coop in Lafayette Park. Given the rent you are prepared to pay, I think that it would be realistic to consider buying. The Van der Rohe townhouses are two stories, 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, 1 dedicated outdoor parking space, one on street. Near park for dogs. Great neighbors. Full basement for laundry and storage. The four coops are, I think, Lafayette, Nicolet, Joliet and Lasalle. Each coop used to have a bit of variation in terms of how well run it was--deferred maintenance, quality of maintenance company et. Nicolet Coop was very well run.
    Thanks for the suggestion – Lafayette Park would be a consideration. As for buying, I’m not sure that I’m ready to make that commitment just yet. So far we love living in the city, but we’re still a little hesitant about buying in the city. Quite frankly, after 17 years of owning [[renting from the bank), I’m enjoying the freedom from maintenance and yard work [[lol), for now.

hi,
    i would second the notion of a co-op. i live in townsquare co-op's.
    1 car garage, 3 bedrooms, basement and 1 1/2 baths. the dequindre-cut is out my back door. 5 min. walk to eastern market. 10 min. walk to greek-town and the river.
    back yard is 15' x 40' and is the only thing you have to take care of, all maintenance is done for you concerning the unit. if an appliance breaks they will replace. you can buy very cheap because of how co-op's work, which helps when you want to sell. much easier than a house.
    good luck on your choice.

i just purchased a lafayette co-op myself and its wonderful. mortgage and association fees come out to less than $1000 a month and thats with three bedrooms and 1400 square feet. grounds maintenance is included in the dues and for my money there isnt a better location in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    i just purchased a lafayette co-op myself and its wonderful. mortgage and association fees come out to less than $1000 a month and thats with three bedrooms and 1400 square feet. grounds maintenance is included in the dues and for my money there isnt a better location in the city.

Best deal on the planet for the quality of architecture and setting.