Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Report: Red Wings select architect for new 18,000-seat arena

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...000-seat-arena

Hmmm...maybe the ball has finally started to roll?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post

I really hope they design this with a potential pistons move in mind.

Here is the original article.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...Red-Wings.aspx

Interesting...never been to Staples Center, but they did a great job in Columbus...

The responsibility of architect Alex Krieger, founding principal of Chan Krieger NBBJ and a Harvard professor of urban design, is to develop an entertainment district tied to a new arena in Detroit, similar to Nationwide Arena in Columbus and Staples Center in Los Angeles, sources said.
    Last edited by stinkytofu; May-21-12 at 01:33 PM.

All this time I thought the new hockey arena was batting clean-up for the Tigers.

hopefully this will be all self funded, or get help from Ilitch's business contemporaries-- the city can't afford to get involved in bankrolling a sports stadium..

Re: Pistons, on a pure fantasy level I wouldn't mind a shared stadium in Detroit, but I figure Gores is happy with keeping the status quo in Auburn Hills [[and I'm sure L. Brooks will bend over backwards to keep it that way).. unless there's a several-year stretch of abysmal attendance, I don't see any kind of moves toward divesting from the Palace.. though who knows, maybe there could be a one-shot, pre-season exhibition game in the new Wings stadium whenever that is completed [[2014?)..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hopefully this will be all self funded, or get help from Ilitch's business contemporaries-- the city can't afford to get involved in bankrolling a sports stadium..

Re: Pistons, on a pure fantasy level I wouldn't mind a shared stadium in Detroit, but I figure Gores is happy with keeping the status quo in Auburn Hills [[and I'm sure L. Brooks will bend over backwards to keep it that way).. unless there's a several-year stretch of abysmal attendance, I don't see any kind of moves toward divesting from the Palace.. though who knows, maybe there could be a one-shot, pre-season exhibition game in the new Wings stadium whenever that is completed [[2014?)..
    This doesn't get built unless it's self funded. The city can't even get people to support a $1 fee to enter Belle Isle, you think the pubic will support a new arena? I guess we will have to just sit back and wait in this, although I'm not sure about the reduction in seating from 20k at the Joe to 18k at this new arena. I'm going to assume the area that would have held those additional 2k people will be mid arena luxury boxes [[Palace like) so it'll most likely still top out over 20k. And unless this project has been designed, engineered, signed off on, and paid for, with a fleet of backhoes staged in the GCP parking garage that we all don't know about, an opening in 2014 is a bit of a pipe dream. This project is most likely 5-7 years out.

Taxes to fund stadia are always achieved by taxing sins [[cigs & booze) or out-of-towners [[hotels, rental cars). There are many obstacles to any additional regional taxes at the moment such as taxes already existing for Cobo renovations, etc. but it is not totally outside the realm of possibility to get something if they can get the county or state to sign off as infrastructure improvements.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    I really hope they design this with a potential pistons move in mind.
    Not me. I really don't want another bland cookie-cutter arena [[which is probably what we are going to get) instead of an old retro-barn Olympia throwback.

SteveJ Guest

Well here comes the trick. Make some fancy drawings and present them to the public and then start begging for money.

Occurrence Guest

Someone here already posted some great designs for a barn style hockey arena is a thread a while back. I don't know if I could even find that thread unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Taxes to fund stadia are always achieved by taxing sins [[cigs & booze) or out-of-towners [[hotels, rental cars). There are many obstacles to any additional regional taxes at the moment such as taxes already existing for Cobo renovations, etc. but it is not totally outside the realm of possibility to get something if they can get the county or state to sign off as infrastructure improvements.
    Infrastructure?

Like $50,000,000 to reroute the People Mover?

If the Ilitches can throw Million Dollar Pizza parties for Obama, they can pay for their own stinking arena.

Tax money for a new home for the Wings? Spare me.

It's not totally out outside the realm of possibility...I agree. But even though I'm generally someone who would support a regional tax for this sort of thing, the timing to ask for tax support couldn't be worse. Allen Park is seriously considering disbanding their police force and subcontracting it out to another entity. Troy is having to make cuts in their services or risk insolvency due to declining revenues. Detroit...you know the picture.

I won't totally rule it out, but I'm not sure that I could even support a new source of funding until we sort some of the bigger picture items in Detroit.

Now if you could get Canada to front all the capital costs, guarantee to cover any revenue shortfalls, and then have the M-1 group guarantee any necessary capital infusions over the next 10 years....you'll get my attention.

Sadly, even with those guarantees, we still have haters that have their hands over their ears for their respective projects.

One revenue source used for the Stadia was gas and oil lease money from drilling on state land. I can see this being an option for some funding for the new arena that doesn't come out of anyone's pocketbook.

We have to remember that this will NOT be Ilitch owned [[just like Comerica Park and Ford Field are owned by the county), even though the Ilitch's will likely foot the bill for the majority of a new arena. There are property tax disincentives to owning your own arena/stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    One revenue source used for the Stadia was gas and oil lease money from drilling on state land. I can see this being an option for some funding for the new arena that doesn't come out of anyone's pocketbook.

We have to remember that this will NOT be Ilitch owned [[just like Comerica Park and Ford Field are owned by the county), even though the Ilitch's will likely foot the bill for the majority of a new arena. There are property tax disincentives to owning your own arena/stadium.
    Then why did Bill Davidson make so much off of the Palace?

I don't see much chance at all of taxpayers cutting a check to assist in the building of the new arena/entertainment district. What the government [[city, county, state) might do is offer various tax breaks for the construction. They [[the gov't) would justify that as compensation for infrastructure improvements made in conjunction with the arena.

Unlike some people here, I have great respect [[even when I don't agree with him) for Ilitch. I think he's smart enough to know that if he asked for taxpayer money now: a) he would not get it, and b) he would look awful. At his age legacy is bound to be important to him, and he neither wants to be the man who takes his team away [[a la Walter O'Malley) or who contributes to bankrupting the city. I think he'll craft a plan for a landmark arena as a final Mike Illitch stamp on downtown.

I am very torn as to whether which of the 2 leading sites, Foxtown West or Temple East is better. Both have merit, and both would be an improvement. I will also take this chance to reiterate my theory that whichever one they choose for the arena, the other will be scooped up by Al Taubman for his legacy downtown mall/entertainment center. And I am sure they are coordinating with each other, and Dan Gilbert as well.

As for the Pistons, I hope they move downtown, but doubt that will happen anytime soon, unless Illitch shared ownership of the arena with Gores.

Anyway, I am happy to have this all to think about.

Good news, but there better not be a penny of taxes going to this. We have two decent arenas, both owned by billionaires. If they want improvements, they can pay for it themselves.

Neither team is leaving the region, even if the state tells them to screw themselves, and the econonic benefits of a new arena are no greater than those of an old one.

Of *course* they are going to use public funds to pay for a good chunk of this. It's standard operating procedure when building new arenas. If not the city, then the county or state will step in with funding.

This nonsense needs to stop. The government needs to get out of the entertainment business and start focusing on - oh I don't know - providing basic services, perhaps?

Is there going to enough revenue from scrap to clear JLA or is this going to be another burden for the city? I don't see a developer for that site for a very long time.

[QUOTE=JBMcB;320934]Of *course* they are going to use public funds to pay for a good chunk of this. It's standard operating procedure when building new arenas. If not the city, then the county or state will step in with funding.

This nonsense needs to stop. The government needs to get out of the entertainment business and start focusing on - oh I don't know - providing basic services, perhaps?[/QUOI

YES!!! Although isn't this thread about the Wing's organization picking an architect for a proposed stadium? I am disappointed that they did not pick the local firm with plenty of experience in stadium design. Or maybe that firm did not want to deal with the Ilitch's penchant for not paying!

Default I love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post

Why only 18,000 seats? If the old stadium seats over 20,000 then the new one should seat well over 30,000 seats to generate even more revenue. A new stadium is much needed! The city should just give Olympia all that land over by the Masonic Theater because it's just a drug haven! The need to level it all down, every building, get rid of all those streets over there and make way for a 30,000 seat complex that can house both the great Red Wings and the Detroit Pistons!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Good news, but there better not be a penny of taxes going to this. We have two decent arenas, both owned by billionaires. If they want improvements, they can pay for it themselves.

Neither team is leaving the region, even if the state tells them to screw themselves, and the econonic benefits of a new arena are no greater than those of an old one.
    Certainly you've been on this forum long enough to know that the city owns JLA?

Is there going to enough revenue from scrap to clear JLA or is this going to be another burden for the city? I don't see a developer for that site for a very long time.
    Future Cobo expansions require the removal of JLA... so any "developer" for that site is already a given...

Quote Originally Posted by detroitmale View Post

Why only 18,000 seats? If the old stadium seats over 20,000 then the new one should seat well over 30,000 seats to generate even more revenue. A new stadium is much needed! The city should just give Olympia all that land over by the Masonic Theater because it's just a drug haven! The need to level it all down, every building, get rid of all those streets over there and make way for a 30,000 seat complex that can house both the great Red Wings and the Detroit Pistons!
    I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic... since no hockey arena in the country has 30,000 seats.... and the city doesn't own enough contiguous space anywhere in Midtown to build any arena.

I am surprised to see that they are not going into the 21-22k range. The JLA was built for 20k and had about 1,000 'temporary' seats that filled the concourse.

I'm disappointed about the number of seats. The arena probably won't be smaller than the joe, but there will be more boxes.

You'd think almost every game being sold out would justify adding more seats. I'd prefer more seats so that more fans can watch the game and so that ticket prices are generally lower [[although I think this might be why they don't want to add a million seats). I don't mind extra boxes as long as they don't disrupt normal seating too much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast