Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Topless Bar in Detroit plus BW3 news

Topless opening on top of Detroit Pub, no it's not a real topless bar.

BW3 is biggest in the nation? Think Detroit can support it?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-bw3-thats-xxl

LOL, I love the "Topless" tease.

This is awesome. I know of a bunch of guys at work that are planning on hitting up BW3.

The name is a play on the fact that Topless will be an open-air, seasonal bar.
    HA! Not quite false advertising, it's the bar that's topless, not its employees.

I love Michigan whimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitkid View Post
    Topless opening on top of Detroit Pub, not its not a real topless bar.

BW3 is biggest in the nation? Think Detroit can support it?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-bw3-thats-xxl
    My 14-year-old son loves BW3 and sports – and the Downtown location is about a 60 second walk from my place - so I’ll probably be able support it on my own [[lol) -- The boy can eat!

I think the BW3 downtown will make serious coin. As much as I like [[and frequent) independently owned restaurants downtown, the reason why chains are successful is that that they're familiar to lots and lots of people with very little effort.

For example, when the Book Cadillac re-opened up, many of my [[especially younger) friends didn't know much about it or what a big deal it was. But as soon as I said that Westin was going to operate the hotel, they got excited. Ignorant? Yes. Reality? Also yes. Just like that article where a bunch of independently run cafes concluded that having Starbucks open up next door actually caused their business to increase from the new foot traffic, I think that BW3 will do well and will help continue the spur of development downtown.

We'll just have to see....

what is BW3?

Buffalo Wild Wings

Maybe I'm just retarded but I'll ask: Why is it BW3?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Maybe I'm just retarded but I'll ask: Why is it BW3?
    I always wondered that too so I checked Wikipedia. It's because they were originally called "Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck", which they abbreviated BW3. The abbreviation stuck even after they shortened the name.

This sounds like an excellent addition to downtown

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=BWLD.O

FULL DESCRIPTION
    Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. is an owner, operator and franchisor of restaurants featuring a variety of menu items, including its Buffalo, New York-style chicken wings spun in any of its 14 signature sauces or four signature seasonings. Its restaurants create an atmosphere that includes a multi-media system, a full bar and an open layout, which appeals to sports fans and families alike. Its guests have the option of watching sporting events or other programs on its projection screens and approximately 50 additional televisions, competing in Buzztime Trivia, or playing video games. The open layout of its restaurants offers dining and bar areas that provide seating choices for sports fans and families. Its menu features traditional chicken wings, boneless wings, and other items, including chicken tenders, Wild Flatbreads, popcorn shrimp, specialty hamburgers and sandwiches, wraps, Buffalito soft tacos, appetizers and salads.

The Company’s made-to-order menu items include 14 signature sauces and 4 signature seasonings, ranging from Sweet BBQ to Blazin. Its restaurants offer approximately 20 domestic and imported beers on tap, including several local or regional micro-brews and a selection of bottled beers, wines, and liquor. The Company’s restaurants feature a variety of menu items, including its Buffalo, New York-style chicken wings spun in one of its signature sauces from sweet to screamin’ hot: Sweet BBQ, Teriyaki, Mild, Parmesan Garlic, Medium, Honey BBQ, Spicy Garlic, Asian Zing, Caribbean Jerk, Hot BBQ, Hot, Mango Habanero, Wild and Blazin, or signature seasonings: Buffalo, Desert Heat, Chipotle BBQ, and Salt and Vinegar. Its chicken wings can be ordered in numbers ranging from six to 100 wings, with orders available for parties. In addition to traditional and boneless chicken wings, its menu features a variety of food items, including chicken tenders, Wild Flatbreads, popcorn shrimp, specialty hamburgers and sandwiches, wraps, Buffalito soft tacos, finger foods and salads. It also provides a 12 & Under Menu option for kids. Its restaurants feature a bar, which offers a selection of approximately 20 domestic, imported, and craft beers on tap, as well as bottled beers, wine and liquor.

As of December 26, 2010, the Company owned or franchised 732 Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants in 44 states, of which 259 were company owned and 473 were franchised. All of its menu items are made-to-order and are available for take-out, which approximated 14% of restaurant sales for company owned restaurants during the year ended December 26, 2010.

This will also increase the effectiveness of the marketing partnership the BW3 has with The Detroit Red Wings. Also, it will help make the Monroe Street corridor a little more contiguous.

In case y'all care, people [[at least my group of friends) frequently call it B-Dubs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    In case y'all care, people [[at least my group of friends) frequently call it B-Dubs as well.
    That's pretty much the only nickname I've heard it called outside of the internet.

okay.. uhh... what the heck is "weck"?

Its a Kummelweck roll popular in the Buffalo area. Beef on Weck is served everywhere there.

Exactly. I've never, ever heard anyone refer to it as BW3 before I saw it her on the board. It's always been referred to as B-Dubs by everyone I've ever known.

pardon my ignorance but whats a weck?

"pardon my ignorance but whats a weck?"

"Its a Kummelweck roll popular in the Buffalo area. Beef on Weck is served everywhere there." dodgemain

"Weck" is simply the german word for a roll. Kemmelweck has caraway seeds and large-grain kosher salt. Roast beef goes on the bottom half of the roll, the top is dipped in the roast's drippings. they are yummy

The first BW3 was in Kent, Ohio. They sprung up in all the college towns around the midwest catering to that crowd. There were no servers. You walked up to the bar to get your drinks and you ordered your food from the take-out counter. They would call out your name when your food was ready. They did have someone walk around to clean up tables. My daughter played softball at Western Michigan in the 90s and my wife and I found BW3s everywhere we traveled for MAC games. BW3 was the name on the signs. I was kind of disappointed when they went all corporate, but when they built one a mile from my house I forgave them. :- )

So, last weekend I went for some drinks at the club Pulse while I was in town which is right across the street from the new BW3 location. I noticed that major work was going on at the old barber shop next door to the Odd Fellows Building. I was told by the bouncer that it was being turned into a Bagger Dave's Burgers [[which makes sense because that is the same owner as BW3). He said he was told this by construction workers. Any word on if this is true? He also said the parking garage that Pulse is in is going to be torn down and they are going to relocate close to Greektown. He wasn't sure if anything will be built in this location. I would imagine a fresh garage with floor retail will go up if this is true. The building across the street has a nice full line of retail leading down to Campus Martius.

I posted on the demolition of the garage back in April.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...hat-s-going-on

I am concerned that this may be one more empty lot contributing nothing to the block for some time to come. At least there were businesses located on the ground floor of the garage. It's good to know Pulse is relocating, and City Slicker moved across the street. But the owner of the smaller shoe store told me he would not reopen.

I'm also quite concerned that the garage abuts the National Theatre. One well planned slip of an Adamo wrecking ball, and George Jackson has one less historic building to give him headaches.

Take a look at the bird's eye view of that block. http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...803~-83.052715

The garage, even though it's old, and well, it's a garage, did contribute streetwalls on 3 sides and also housed the aforementioned businesses. It if languishes as a surface parking lot, I'd prefer the current decrepit, old garage than another big, gaping hole downtown.

That parking garage has been coming down for at least two years. We used to go to Bunchy's there and they moved out with the first warning that the garage was going to close. The clothing store moved across the street about a year later and the whole side facing Compuware has been dead for a while, except for your club. It's a nice piece of land for sure, and if/when they take it down, something will replace it "Detroit rapidly" so within five of six years.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    So, last weekend I went for some drinks at the club Pulse while I was in town which is right across the street from the new BW3 location. I noticed that major work was going on at the old barber shop next door to the Odd Fellows Building. I was told by the bouncer that it was being turned into a Bagger Dave's Burgers [[which makes sense because that is the same owner as BW3). He said he was told this by construction workers. Any word on if this is true? He also said the parking garage that Pulse is in is going to be torn down and they are going to relocate close to Greektown. He wasn't sure if anything will be built in this location. I would imagine a fresh garage with floor retail will go up if this is true. The building across the street has a nice full line of retail leading down to Campus Martius.

Wow, I'd hate to see an empty ugly lot right between Greektown and Campus Martius! I'd rather if they didn't tear it down until they have definite plans for what will replace it. What an eye sore that would be! I'd rather have the dilapidated garage!

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    So, last weekend I went for some drinks at the club Pulse ... the parking garage that Pulse is in is going to be torn down and they are going to relocate close to Greektown.
    There really isn't much available space closer to where they are now. One possibility would be the first floor below the pedestrian tube where Laikon used to be. I'd rather see a full restaurant go in that space than another club. With the addition on to Plaka's, the block is turning into more clubs than restaurants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast