Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default GOP problem: 'Their voters are white, aging and dying off'

It has been predicted for decades, that the white population will diminish in North America.

Presently, there are are more minority toddlers than white toddlers.

Soon, the complexion of the United States will look like Brazil.

See report by CNN.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoft...ity-babies.cnn

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    It has been predicted for decades, that the white population will diminish in North America.

Presently, there are are more minority toddlers than white toddlers.

Soon, the complexion of the United States will look like Brazil.

See report by CNN.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoft...ity-babies.cnn
    I watched the video at your link and there is not one word in that report about the shifting demographics representing a "GOP problem".

Therefore, I have to assume that it was you who regurgitated that bit of dusty conventional wisdom [[aka Democratic Party "talking point"), which is based on the faulty assumptions that:

- past immigration trends continue into the future
    - the Latino vote is monolithic, regardless of income levels and whether they are second or third generation Americans

The rate of growth of the Latino immigrant population in the USA peaked in the 1980s and the growth rate in the first decade of the 21st century was only one-eighth the peak rate. According to the Pew Research Center, in the past few years, immigration from Mexico has slowed to a crawl and is roughly equal to the out-migration back to Mexico, which is to say that the current net immigration rate is zero and is likely to stay that way as long as Mexico's recovery from the great recession outpaces the anemic recovery in the USA [[Mexico's GDP grew 3.9% in 2011 compared to a 1.7% GDP growth rate in the USA).

Many of those racial and ethnic minority babies discussed in that CNN report are second and third generation Americans. They will be better educated and will eventually become wealthier and more assimilated than their parents. This pattern has been evident over the past thirty years and it bodes ill for the Democrats, whose leadership knows that the Donks' disproportionate edge over the GOP with Latino and other minorities disappears as their income levels rise and more of them self-identify as being a non-hyphenated "American".

HistoryNotHisStory,

It will be poetic justice that these old ornery GOP Whites that are dying off turn out to be the taxpayers that generate the wealth to support the increase in the births of the minority toddlers. The complexion of the United States might start to look like Brazil but its finances will look like Greece. [[we're already nearly there).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I watched the video at your link and there is not one word in that report about the shifting demographics representing a "GOP problem".

Therefore, I have to assume that it was you who regurgitated that bit of dusty conventional wisdom [[aka Democratic Party "talking point"), ....
    The thread title appears to have come from this CNN source, verbatim: GOP problem: 'Their voters are white, aging and dying off'.

Therefore, I have to assume that it was you who regurgitated that bit of dusty conventional wisdom [[aka Democratic Party "talking point"), which is based on the faulty assumptions that:

- the Latino vote is monolithic, regardless of income levels and whether they are second or third generation Americans

The rate of growth of the Latino immigrant population in the USA peaked in the 1980s and the growth rate in the first decade of the 21st century was only one-eighth the peak rate. According to the Pew Research Center, in the past few years, immigration from Mexico has slowed to a crawl and is roughly equal to the out-migration back to Mexico, which is to say that the current net immigration rate is zero and is likely to stay that way as long as Mexico's recovery from the great recession outpaces the anemic recovery in the USA [[Mexico's GDP grew 3.9% in 2011 compared to a 1.7% GDP growth rate in the USA).

Many of those racial and ethnic minority babies discussed in that CNN report are second and third generation Americans. They will be better educated and will eventually become wealthier and more assimilated than their parents. This pattern has been evident over the past thirty years and it bodes ill for the Democrats, whose leadership knows that the Donks' disproportionate edge over the GOP with Latino and other minorities disappears as their income levels rise and more of them self-identify as being a non-hyphenated "American".

You do make some good points. I don't think the nationalities who are coming into the country will vote as monolithicly as AA's but I don't doubt that the fact that whites will be in the minority will happen. In 35 of the country's 50 largest cities non-hispanic whites are or will be predicted to be in the minority according to the last census.

It the Repubs continue to try to find ways to get potential voters off the voters records thru technicalities, or continue to de-fund public education you won't get the highly educated second and third generation folks that the Repubs seem to be counting on.

I'm sure some of the immigrants are attracted by the conservative religious message of the GOP, but the small government talk is just that. The Repubs have never shown they can keep the size of government down anymore than the Dems.

I agree with some of what you stated but one piece of information struck me as interesting. The net migration is zero yet the Repubs are gung ho on spending billions to build a wall along the border.

Seems pretty contradictory to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I agree with some of what you stated but one piece of information struck me as interesting. The net migration is zero yet the Repubs are gung ho on spending billions to build a wall along the border.

Seems pretty contradictory to me.
    That's because it's "net" migration. There are still millions of people illegally entering this country every year, it's just that there are just as many of them leaving. Tighter security at the border would lead to a negative overall migration of illegal immigrants as they would be free to leave, but not free to return. The problem is that our porous borders allow violent felons, drugs and would be terrorists the same access that it allows those that are just coming here to work [[Which I must say is still illegal, but only affects the average wages for working Americans and not our overall safety).
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-22-12 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    That's because it's "net" migration. There are still millions of people illegally entering this country every year, it's just that there are just as many of them leaving. Tighter security at the border would lead to a negative overall migration of illegal immigrants as they would be free to leave, but not free to return. The problem is that our porous borders allow violent felons, drugs and would be terrorists the same access that it allows those that are just coming here to work [[Which I must say is still illegal, but only affects the average wages for working Americans and not our overall safety).
    What about health screens? You should not unleash people with communicable diseases out into the pubic. Immigration laws were put into effect for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    What about health screens? You should not unleash people with communicable diseases out into the pubic. Immigration laws were put into effect for a reason.
    Good point, and yet another solid reason why the Federal government should put their political agendas aside and increase enforcement of our immigration laws.

All of those words to say what????

Presently the majority of Afro-Americans are Democratics.

Obama holds the majority of Hispanic/Latino voters.

Fact: The Republicans lose this election if they fail to get the majority of Hispanic voters.

With the stance the Republicans have taken agains immigrants in Alabama, Arizona, and other fringe states: they will continue to lose the Hispanic vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Good point, and yet another solid reason why the Federal government should put their political agendas aside and increase enforcement of our immigration laws.

I agree presently there are way too many Europeans allowed into this country!!

I agree presently there are way too many Europeans allowed into this country!!
    All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian.
    — Pat Paulsen
    Lorem Ipsum

All of those words to say what????

Presently the majority of Afro-Americans are Democratics.

Obama holds the majority of Hispanic/Latino voters.

Fact: The Republicans lose this election if they fail to get the majority of Hispanic voters.

With the stance the Republicans have taken agains immigrants in Alabama, Arizona, and other fringe states: they will continue to lose the Hispanic vote.
    You originally posted about the fact that for the first time "there are more minority toddlers than white toddlers" and how the long-term change in the electorate might impact the GOP. I responded with my viewpoint on how the Democrats are also vulnerable to those long-term trends and instead or responding to my comments, you derisively dismiss them and change the subject to the November election. What the fuck is your problem?

Hah! To heck with the reasons, most politicians on the left will always steer this based on partisan support and gaining votes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post